1 2 3
RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
12/28/18 10:16 a.m.

My wife's 2012 Rav4 V6 has a 3500lb tow rating and tows our tent trailer quite well. The newer Rav4's have a trim called the "Trail" in Canada or "Adventure" in the US that's rated to 3500lbs, but they only come with the 2.5 I4. She's thinking of replacing hers with a 2019 Rav4 Trail come spring.

That's about the smallest, least truck-ish thing that has a rating that high. Some of the other options in that class with V6's and turbo 4's are also rated for 3500.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
1/4/19 8:01 a.m.

Newish Ford Escape with the Ecoboost (turbo) is rated at 3500 and Adaptive cruise control is an option.  They're roughly $30k new and low $20s lightly used, my parents recently bought a low-mileage demo.  They were also looking to tow a small (1500 lbs?) trailer but wanted at least 3k lbs of capability (hills).  They're a little disappointed w/the fuel economy, but otherwise like it.

They also considered a Mitsubishi Outlander, the V6 has a 3500 lb rating, but the V6 seemed like overkill for daily use.  The hybrid version was a lot more expensive and only had 1,500 lbs capacity.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/4/19 8:18 a.m.

This guy I follow on IG tows with a diesel audi a4. He tows with it a lot! 

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
1/4/19 8:22 a.m.

New Jeep Cherokee has a 4500lb limit.

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
1/4/19 9:53 a.m.

Why is that diesel A4's suspension broken? frown

FWIW he's in Europe - their speed limits for towing are lower (look at those teeny trailer tires) so while it's mildly cool that a stancebro Audi can tow something of decent size/weight, I wouldn't dare do it on I-95 in the US.

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
1/4/19 9:57 a.m.

How about a Pathfinder up until 12 when it was still truck chassis?

yupididit
1/4/19 10:32 a.m.
Brake_L8 said:

FWIW he's in Europe - their speed limits for towing are lower (look at those teeny trailer tires) so while it's mildly cool that a stancebro Audi can tow something of decent size/weight, I wouldn't dare do it on I-95 in the US.

Its bagged.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/4/19 10:33 a.m.

Mom just got a new GMC Acadia.  Impressive comfy-ness and can tow what you need.

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 New Reader
1/4/19 11:03 a.m.

Panamera has to be one of the highest tow ratings for something you would not expect, it's something like 5k.

Almost everything people are listing are CUV/SUV, which are expected to tow IMO and 3500lbs is pretty weak.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
1/4/19 12:11 p.m.

Nothing says towing capacity and comfort like the old fashioned land yachts. These are what towed most race cars back in the day aswell. Now ofcourse if your looking for a brand new vehicle that may not work out.

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
1/4/19 1:18 p.m.
yupididit said:
Brake_L8 said:

Its bagged.

Well it looks silly so I think it's silly

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/4/19 1:37 p.m.
Hoondavan said:

Newish Ford Escape with the Ecoboost (turbo) is rated at 3500 and Adaptive cruise control is an option.  They're roughly $30k new and low $20s lightly used, my parents recently bought a low-mileage demo.  They were also looking to tow a small (1500 lbs?) trailer but wanted at least 3k lbs of capability (hills).  They're a little disappointed w/the fuel economy, but otherwise like it.

They also considered a Mitsubishi Outlander, the V6 has a 3500 lb rating, but the V6 seemed like overkill for daily use.  The hybrid version was a lot more expensive and only had 1,500 lbs capacity.

get the swank version. it tows well. ours is a '15 with AWD and the 2.0. The flappy paddles help keep the rpms in a happy place for the trans and powerband when dealing with hills.

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
1/4/19 1:58 p.m.

For a GRM approach:

I have been flat-towing my 3000lb.-ish dedicated track E36 with an old Jeep XJ 4.0L.  It chugs on the hills but it never blows up.  When I have tried open-trailering loads getting closer to 5000lbs, I felt like the Jeep just wasn't heavy enough to master the load.  But I didn't try a load-spreader/anti-swap setup.

BMW X3 is what I'm going to try next.  As in, the first generation built on the E46 chassis, not the larger & newer units.  It has a third more horsepower and about twice the braking of the Jeep, so it should be better.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
1/4/19 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Brake_L8 :

You can get 12" trailer tires rated to 1500# load. I've looked at similar trailers in Europe and would love to have the selection they have . I've been towing 2300# cars for the last twenty years on a trailer that is rated for almost triple that. Seems like overkill to me and it would be nice to have a lighter , smaller footprint , better sized to my needs.

yupididit
1/4/19 2:55 p.m.
Brake_L8 said:
yupididit said:
Brake_L8 said:

Its bagged.

Well it looks silly so I think it's silly

Um, ok? Good for you, guy. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/4/19 3:54 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

3500lbs for the previous gen Grand Caravan/T&C. 

Interesting how if you don't have Stow-N-Go it's 3600 lbs.

I probably got close to the tongue weight max when I hung a DRZ400 off the back on a H-F carrier, but much to my surprise it wasn't really noticeable. 

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
1/4/19 3:58 p.m.

Holy depreciation on the Panameras! I was shopping around for Touareg TDI's but damn, the ugly sedan was a surprise!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/4/19 4:45 p.m.
DeadSkunk said:

In reply to Brake_L8 :

You can get 12" trailer tires rated to 1500# load. I've looked at similar trailers in Europe and would love to have the selection they have . I've been towing 2300# cars for the last twenty years on a trailer that is rated for almost triple that. Seems like overkill to me and it would be nice to have a lighter , smaller footprint , better sized to my needs.

Open trailer, 3100 lb capacity, 715 lbs empty.

A friend of mine bought a similar trailer by the same vendor to haul his Mini. He bought the mid-size version because apparently that is THE trailer to have for hauling P-cars, so resale is very good, even if it's overkill for hauling a Mini.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/19 5:18 a.m.

A lot of trucks getting posted in a thead asking for a not-truck...

If  you want to tow with not a truck, get a Volvo.  They tend to have really high tow ratings.  Even the 240s had something like 3500lb tow rating.  Maybe it wouldn't accelerate very well but tow ratings have nothing to do with acceleration capability, just stability and braking.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/19 5:21 a.m.
Ian F said:
DeadSkunk said:

In reply to Brake_L8 :

Open trailer, 3100 lb capacity, 715 lbs empty.

A friend of mine bought a similar trailer by the same vendor to haul his Mini. He bought the mid-size version because apparently that is THE trailer to have for hauling P-cars, so resale is very good, even if it's overkill for hauling a Mini.

YOW that is expensive!!!

For that much money, I'd invest in making the towed vehicle reliable, and just drive it instead of towing it.

HFmaxi
HFmaxi Reader
1/5/19 7:50 a.m.

Metris is a good option on comfort and towing as it has a GCWR of 11000lbs where a lot of the SUVs and minivans will trade all their payload capacity when towing. Tow package must be added at time of purchase. Has bunch of other stuff but packages can get out of hand. Will still be nicer and cheaper than a similarly equipped Transit van. If you do buy one just kindly move the sales person aside and do the work yourself MB still can't figure out how to sell these. Can be configured with 5 to 8 seats. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/5/19 8:17 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Well... Light - Strong - Cheap:  Pick two. Also, if you consider the cost of an entire rig (a cheaper, but much heavier trailer and the vehicle needed to pull it) instead of just the trailer, that $6100 price isn't quite as bad. 

While they blur the line between a truck and not-a-truck, towing is one reason I like full sized conversion vans. 

yupididit
1/5/19 9:08 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

6k+ will get you a brand new trailer and a used full size SUV  

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
1/5/19 9:09 a.m.

In reply to HFmaxi :

Hey I recognize that shopping center. Riviera Pizza in there is really damn good.

jrh2009
jrh2009 New Reader
1/5/19 9:10 a.m.

I know it's not late model, but its still one of the most comfortable cars ever built, and can tow 5k lbs with ease. And is still what I would consider "reliable".

Back in '13, I drove one of these 12 hours nonstop from Miami to Central AL, and to this day have never driven a more comfortable car. I wasn't even tired or sore when I got out. I adore these things.

​​​​​

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ciibn3o5WJRd65BoGTV0nE69L5mjmms925b9FyrrDaRCGmmGCB6N3oc5zon6poko