1 2 3 4 5
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/21 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

"warranty nightmare" meaning " I was Just Driving Along(*) a couple days ago (**) when something broke, can you un break it for me pls"

* - Dumping the clutch at redline for the sixth time that day

** - Would have towed it to the dealership sooner, but it takes time to remove the boost controller, and reinstall the OE exhaust and tune

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/8/21 6:46 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

"We" as in the members of this forum do, I would think. But I don't think there's enough of us.

No, because a large cross section of that crowd thinks that buying brand new cars is for suckers and insists on only ever buying used...

...while nonironically complaining that manufacturers don't make cars they like any more.

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/8/21 6:48 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I'd go into crushing debt for a GR Yaris...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/8/21 7:50 p.m.
Duke said:

"We" as in the members of this forum do, I would think. But I don't think there's enough of us.

No, because a large cross section of that crowd thinks that buying brand new cars is for suckers and insists on only ever buying used...

...while nonironically complaining that manufacturers don't make cars they like any more.

Yep, say it all the time. Especially with the reputation many owners for this platform have, I'd prefer to buy new.

Unless I was buying something to KSwap.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/9/21 10:36 a.m.
Duke said:

Yup. Sadly the OEs haven't figured out to build used cars. 

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/21/21 9:27 a.m.

It's officially fall.  Subaru has the BRZ configurator online. Come on, Toyota..where are you? :)

lnlds
lnlds Reader
9/21/21 9:44 a.m.

The new gr86 dynoed at 207-209 whp with a pretty nice torque curve. Unless there's something catastrophically wrong with the launch or reliability issues, it'll be really hard to argue against it. Those are USDM E36 M3 numbers on a car 300lb lighter with a warranty.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/21/21 10:11 a.m.

In reply to lnlds :

And it will be even better with a header and e85 tune. ~230whp in that car will be a blast. 

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
9/21/21 10:26 a.m.

If everything works out I can see myself buying a new GR in a few years. That'll put my "new car purchase with manual gearbox" total up to three in my lifetime. Doing my part.

This will probably end up being my forever car that gets driven only when I feel like it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/21/21 10:39 a.m.
z31maniac said:

In reply to lnlds :

And it will be even better with a header and e85 tune. ~230whp in that car will be a blast. 

I would be happy to have a great car that didn't require voiding the warranty.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/21/21 11:44 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
z31maniac said:

In reply to lnlds :

I would be happy to have a great car that didn't require voiding the warranty.

To be fair, I think it will be pretty great stock, just that it would be better with those mods. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/21/21 11:47 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Oh, I get that.  I would be really happy with 208-209 at the wheels.  That is borderline excessive for a car like that.  One less thing to worry about.

I've gone from idly curious to deeply curious.

also, were the M3s underrated? I thought they did only 240 at the crank, or at least were rated for that.  I would think 208ish corresponds to closer to 270 at the crank.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
9/21/21 4:40 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Oh, I get that.  I would be really happy with 208-209 at the wheels.  That is borderline excessive for a car like that.  One less thing to worry about.

I've gone from idly curious to deeply curious.

also, were the M3s underrated? I thought they did only 240 at the crank, or at least were rated for that.  I would think 208ish corresponds to closer to 270 at the crank.

These figures also have my interest piqued. Test drove a brz years back and the ergonomics reminded me a lot of my FC. I didn't care much for the engine.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/21/21 5:10 p.m.

I think that dyno was a bit off, I think Subaru released it was just under 200whp. Which is right about where the first gen is with a header/E85 tune. 

209whp from 228 at the crank is either a very optimistic dyno, or an underated engine. 

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
9/21/21 6:46 p.m.

What's the recommended fuel octane for the engine? If it's 91 and it has 93 in it for the dyno maybe it's picking up a few extra hp.

My car is rated at 200 hp on 91, but generally hits 200 hp on 93. Still underrated in my case.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/21/21 6:52 p.m.

Dynojet usually gives a more optimistic reading than Mustang dyno's.  IIRC it's about a 5% difference.  Either way, that's good power at the wheels for a car this size.

9/22/21 9:10 a.m.

It's intriguing enough to have me considering 'treating' myself to a new car for the first time in my life.  I'm at least going to do a test drive, which is the closest I've come to buying a new car.  Bucket list item is to do a track day with drive-out tags on a car.

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
9/23/21 8:43 a.m.

Count me in the group of " very interested".

I 100% thought I was going to buy a first gen car when they came out - then I test drove one. The engine was such a let down that I drove straight from the Toyota dealer to a Subaru dealer for another test drive thinking (hoping) maybe something was wrong with the first car. Nope. I wrote the car off after that, which is a real shame since otherwise it ticked all the boxes for me.

All the reviews I've seen say they've "fixed" the motor, and I understand they have seriously pumped up the torque curve, but I'm curious to see what kind of character the motor has. Hopefully now it wants to rev.

I also think the new styling is not as sharp as the original - the headlights and taillights look generic and bland  and I get kind of a 2007 Tiburon vibe, but it's not a deal breaker.

9/23/21 8:56 a.m.
sevenracer said:

Count me in the group of " very interested".

I 100% thought I was going to buy a first gen car when they came out - then I test drove one. The engine was such a let down that I drove straight from the Toyota dealer to a Subaru dealer for another test drive thinking (hoping) maybe something was wrong with the first car. Nope. I wrote the car off after that, which is a real shame since otherwise it ticked all the boxes for me.

All the reviews I've seen say they've "fixed" the motor, and I understand they have seriously pumped up the torque curve, but I'm curious to see what kind of character the motor has. Hopefully now it wants to rev.

I also think the new styling is not as sharp as the original - the headlights and taillights look generic and bland  and I get kind of a 2007 Tiburon vibe, but it's not a deal breaker.

Same here -- I was eagerly awaiting the release of the first one, and it didn't quite hit the mark.  A couple of themes from every reviewer video I've seen:  this thing is FUN.  This thing looks even better in person.  And a smattering of 'this thing could still use a little more power.'  

It's lighter, with about the same PWR as an E36 M3.  Should be a fun car.  

It's probably the last generation of low-tech, gasoline powered, RWD, manual sports cars.  

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
9/23/21 9:53 a.m.

Am I the only one seeing Mitsubishi FTO in the front end?

Mostly headlight and fender shape...

dannyp84
dannyp84 New Reader
9/23/21 10:24 a.m.

As for the styling, if it's anything like the new Supra it will look substantially better in real life than in photos. I drove the 1st gen car and thought it was great, didn't think the lack of power was annoying, but then I daily drive a 19 yr old IS300. Hopefully the new one is more of a good thing.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/23/21 10:24 a.m.

So question for the GRM team. How does the interior room compare to the previous generation? I'm really interested in one as my Track/Autox/canyon bomber car for next year and want to put in an order but am very long legged for my height. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/21 4:16 p.m.

It is too early to say LS swap it? .. . .     :-) 

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
9/24/21 6:53 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

So question for the GRM team. How does the interior room compare to the previous generation? I'm really interested in one as my Track/Autox/canyon bomber car for next year and want to put in an order but am very long legged for my height. 

I briefly poked around one, and the floorpan and dimensions feel the same to me. If you fit in a 1st gen, you'll fit in this.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/24/21 7:36 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

Considering it's basically the same chassis with an updated engine and different body panels, probably going to be close to almost exactly the same. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ev1BgHSeZFcozTckc7EQ3Dnq8DetZNztZOBoXfpqaYqPnioN8EFJtpgcqyoisJrT