Steven Cole Smith
Steven Cole Smith Contributor
12/27/21 8:48 a.m.

Petit Le Mans was about a third of the way through its 10 hours at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta, and we were in the race paddock, in the Corvette trailer office, keeping one eye on the monitor that was airing the season finale of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.

Suddenly, the conversation came to a halt. All eyes were on …

Read the rest of the story

jb229
jb229 New Reader
7/30/22 9:20 p.m.

Thanks for one of the best articles I've read in this magazine over the years.  This sort of write-up is why I subscribe.

ThumperUSMC
ThumperUSMC GRM+ Member
7/31/22 11:32 a.m.

This is probably the best Corvette article I have read in a long, long time. Very informative of how it got done,

I have loved the Corvette since I was a kid, when my Dad got a 1953 Corvette. Yeah, it was very underpowered with the little 235 six cylinder in it, but I loved riding in it. Then in 1965, I bought my very first Corvette. It was a very abused 1957 with the 283 fuelie that was a very real "fill it up with oil and check the gas" car. I wish I had kept that motor now...LOL. Anyway, with the help of a friends dad, we took the body off and did a lot of repairs to the body where it was stress cracking, especially on the inboard areas of the body, we beefed up the frame and I got a 396 Mark IV Turbo Jet motor from a friends dad that was a Chevrolet dealer, at a real good price, and then we started on the mods that turned that car into a "Gasser". Was a great car, but then our "problem" in South East Asia got in the way and I ended up selling that car when I went into the Marines. I have had quite a few 'Vettes over the years, some newer, some older, but the two that I have kept over the years were ones that I really liked, but not a lot of other people did. The 1980 C3 and the 98 C5 Convertible. I built them the way I wanted, and both of them perform great, but on the roads only. Neither is a race car, but I do have plans to race the C5 IF I can find someone who can build a rollcage without totally destroying the interior part of the car. Someday, maybe...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kjcEjzxBCy5p3l2Q4iUlbZWWL5txn61sWjuHPwAqXQcIhKNcSl36duBfMDUGoRU9