93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/20/12 9:45 p.m.

Let's say for some stupid reason someone want to do a build with a Honda D-series for a DD and wanted to stay on 87 octane to save money. What could actually be done to make extra power while staying with the cheap gas? And which D-series would be good start (other the ZC)?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
9/20/12 9:54 p.m.

id go with the z6. simple build: fresh motor, port matched and cleaned up internally y8 manifold and ebay throttle body, ebay long tube header, ebay 2 1/2 exhaust. p8 ecu, stock tune. if feeling really froggy, good valve job and minor port cleanup on the head. baffled oil pan, underdrive crank pulley, true CAI. aluminum flywheel.

its what were running in the 89 crx si, minus the headwork. and freshining (motor estimated right at 200k). gettig right at 36 mpg on 87 with the piss beaten outta it, and pretty quick for what it is. almost as quick as my stone stock ACR....

red5_02
red5_02 Reader
9/20/12 11:19 p.m.

I'd skip ebay TB and just use a B-series unit and keep a harmonic balancer on it rather than the underdrive pulley. I'm good with everything else though.

Have you thought about transmission work? I hear a new final drive is great on a z6.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/21/12 7:05 a.m.
red5_02 wrote: I'd skip ebay TB and just use a B-series unit and keep a harmonic balancer on it rather than the underdrive pulley. I'm good with everything else though. Have you thought about transmission work? I hear a new final drive is great on a z6.

Yeah it would have a new final drive for sure with an Si box (IIRC that is tightest ratio D-series box). Why skip the underdrive pulley?

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/21/12 8:17 a.m.

Where does one get a fresh Z6 motor? We seem to pop them religiously with every 6.5hours of track time.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/21/12 8:30 a.m.
Tyler H wrote: Where does one get a fresh Z6 motor? We seem to pop them religiously with every 6.5hours of track time.

Huh. I haven't heard of D-series popping with track time.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/21/12 8:51 a.m.

Assuming a price difference of 25 cents a gallon, at 20 gallons used per week, you're still only talking about $250 a year in fuel difference.

I'd want the extra power personally.

red5_02
red5_02 Reader
9/21/12 9:21 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Why skip the underdrive pulley?

The original Z6 used a dampened pulley for a reason. I can live without a 1 hp upgrade for piece of mind.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
9/21/12 10:01 a.m.

when i was tracking the crx, we tended to pop one a weekend.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
9/21/12 10:01 a.m.

And if you decided to use premium you could bump the compression a little bit. Nippon makes good pistons for pretty cheap.

Tyler H
9/21/12 10:07 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Tyler H wrote: Where does one get a fresh Z6 motor? We seem to pop them religiously with every 6.5hours of track time.
Huh. I haven't heard of D-series popping with track time.

Maybe these engines weren't so fresh. Blown 3 Craigslist Z6s in as many Lemons/Chump events with the Civic..rods/rod bearings letting go. So far, the Honda is less reliable than the DSM we were running.

It's been in hibernation with a locked up bottom end since Sebring last year. I've been on the fence about it. Hoping to see a shortblock come along.

Sorry to derail the thread. Just curious about where the best place to get a bottom end for a Z6 is these days.

(BTW....these weren't hacked installs. Running with an oil pressure guage, filter relocation, oil cooler, higher capacity pan, etc.)

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
9/21/12 10:15 a.m.

Our lemons y8 has held up through 6 races and as many testing days so far. We try to keep it alive by having a ported oil pump, keep the rpms below 6500, and run rotella t6 synthetic a quart over full.

Having said that, it will probably blow up this next race, especially as we have added a turbo.

For sourcing engines, try www.car-part.com

Tyler H
9/21/12 11:12 a.m.
Sonic wrote: Our lemons y8 has held up through 6 races and as many testing days so far. We try to keep it alive by having a ported oil pump, keep the rpms below 6500, and run rotella t6 synthetic a quart over full.

Man, that's awesome! That's what I'm going for.

And therein lies my question: Is a used engine any better if it comes from CL, a locator service/ yard, and are either less likely to blow up than a remanufactured shortblock?

Our conventional wisdom says 'no.' Our friends and trusted Honda advisors(Lyonel and Danielle Kent) have over 200 races on a Z6 that literally came out of a junkyard, with probably half of those netting podium or better finishes.

I just don't know if there are any good used ones left out there. Oil pressure has always been good until kaput!

Back on topic, any healthy Z6 has run fine on crap gas on the street for me.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/21/12 1:06 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: And if you decided to use premium you could bump the compression a little bit. Nippon makes good pistons for pretty cheap.

I was going premium. I would grab a turbo.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rAvYKoPvBkpvDwSBaft1xJDfsWRPFL561gUcFkO2JeBZurN2n5tcnboyFLeoVNm1