1 2
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/5/23 10:34 p.m.

A friend of mine is looking for a new daily driver, so we've been tossing ideas back and forth. He's been largely looking at last gen BMW 2-Series coupes and Mustang GT's with manual transmissions, and we started talking about other pony cars. As I was farting around on Chevy's website building a Camaro, I noticed a "LT1" trim package. It's basically a base 4-cylinder Camaro with the 6.2L V8 and not much else. 

Wait... WHAT???

All I hear from the peanut gallery, brodudes, and old guys wearing their rose-tinted glasses is that "MODERN CARS ARE TOO COMPLICATED THEY NEED TO MAKE A STRIPPO V8 CAR LIKE THE OLD MUSCLECARS GOBBBLESS" and it looks like GM actually did that. But unless I'm blind (and I very well could be), I haven't seen anyone even acknowledge that these are a thing. 

Dodge actually did this back around 2012 with the Charger SRT8 Super Bee. It had a cloth interior, base model radio, and the big Hemi. Magazines and publications went nuts at the time. But Chevy builds this and... crickets...

So, what is it? 

Only way to tell it apart from a base Camaro is that it has a hood scoop and says LT1 on the sides. It has the base car bumpers, wheels, and no spoilers. Aside from the V8, it has front 4-piston Brembos and base car rear brakes. It has the basic seats and stereo, but you can upgrade to Recaros and a Bose stereo if you want. There are a bunch of appearance packages like all the other Camaros, but you can get it devoid of stripes and spoilers for that sleeper vibe. And it's a few grand cheaper than the 1SS. It's like the second coming of the Fox Body Mustang LX 5.0. 

Oh, and this came out LAST YEAR. Again, I haven't heard so much as a peep about this thing from anyone anywhere, aside from one article on GM Authority talking about the differences between this and the 1SS trim. 

So, what gives? Why isn't this thing being applauded like the second coming of the lord almighty? Is it me, or did GM slide one completely under the radar on us all? 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/5/23 10:46 p.m.

Buy one store it for 30 years and make bank. Cause everyone wants the ones that slipped past the cracks and get reborn from rarity. Kooky Collectores will be around forever and are bred to buy stuff like this.

As far as driving it now, every day? Why?  Probably a hair-shirt to live with. Get the stuff that makes it pleasant to drive if that is the goal.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
2/5/23 10:47 p.m.

Hmmm, I certainy had no idea. Never seen it mentioned in any automotive press.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/5/23 10:52 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I'm with you - little more than a Civic Si?  I tried to build the Chevrolet Chevelle from the Dazed and Confused movie.  Problem I have:

1. I'm 6'4" and don't fit well into Camaros.  Lack of a sunroof helps.
  2. From Covid dealers don't want to order you a car under the GM employee discount plan.  It's optional and most dealers like to opt out selling a car under MSRP.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
2/5/23 11:17 p.m.

Small side note, if you buy a Camaro with the 1LE package and blow it up on the track, GM will replace it under warranty. A buddy is on his 3rd warranty replacement motor. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
2/5/23 11:26 p.m.

I believe the year they were introduced, they were a few hundred dollars less than a V8-equipped Mustang. Intent would have been to draw customers who want V8 coupe away from Mustang/Challenger..

If I were looking for a brand new Camaro, this is likely where I'd start. I can't afford new 1LE, and the V8 would be the one to get (in my mind; aside from used 4-cyl 1LE)

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
2/5/23 11:39 p.m.

The lt1 is basically the 1lt trim that you would get with the 2.0 turbo or the v6 but with the v 8. I'll add that apparently you can get an ss with cloth seats as I saw a new on in the showroom of Wolfe Chevrolet  in Edmonton last month.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
2/6/23 12:33 a.m.

They've been talked about here quite a bit by me.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/6/23 1:57 a.m.
racerfink said:

They've been talked about here quite a bit by me.

Says who? 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
2/6/23 7:40 a.m.

My buddy showed up to my shop with one having just leased it for some silly price $2xx/month. Within a week it was at the drag strip with it easily belted off 12.20 passes. Pretty good car all around. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/6/23 9:52 a.m.

I haven't sat in a current gen car, but the last gen cars were really tough to get comfortable in. Even without a sunroof, my head was pretty much in the headliner. And I'm 6'1"! Not sure if this has gotten any better in the current ones, but that and the horrid visibility are what's keeping me from going down to my local Chevy dealer and inquiring about one of these with absolutely zero options save for the V8. 

Well, that and it would make a terrible commuter here in New England. My new commute requires me to sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic for a couple hours a day. frown

calteg
calteg SuperDork
2/6/23 10:49 a.m.

Cool that they offer it. I think the consensus of this gen Camaro was that they focused on making it a great numbers car and ignored things like "visibility" and "comfort"

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/23 11:30 a.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:

The lt1 is basically the 1lt trim that you would get with the 2.0 turbo or the v6 but with the v 8. I'll add that apparently you can get an ss with cloth seats as I saw a new on in the showroom of Wolfe Chevrolet  in Edmonton last month.

LT1, 1LT, how could we possibly get confused? ;)

That would be a heck of a car for the money for sure. I don't think it's worth buying one to salt it away for Barret-Jackson 2053, there are better ways to invest your money and use up garage space. It has no competition heritage, that's the key to weird rare model value. If it was a homologation special, then maybe. But what gearhead could buy one of these and not drive it?

Just built one on the GM website. The only exterior clue is a black bowtie but no SS badging. It's $4k cheaper than an SS - that's about 10%.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
2/6/23 12:36 p.m.

While I am being patient trying to wait for a msrp  gr corolla, I am trying to be responsible and have cross shopped lightly used 392 challengers and base v8 camaro's. (Stick shifts only) The Chevy can be ordered with a bright blue, comes with a warranty and a stick shift. Mustang are fun but not for me.

I do wish the 1le suspension could be optioned, need to get ss  or so trim and costs jump to the 50k ballpark which prices me out of that. Still pretty cool at 38k new.I think you can get the 1le with the 4 or 6, but I don't want that in a camaro...

I do know the challenger can be fitted with snow tires/cheap wheels and can fit 3 car seats across the back, corolla can do same with car.seats. I assume you could put 2 car seats and a booster seat in the back of a camaro and get cheap base model take off wheels for snow tires but I have no direct experience. 

great time to be alive, fun choices !

SEADave
SEADave Dork
2/6/23 12:56 p.m.

I have been very interested in these since they announced them.   Seems like it could be a bargain if you can live without some of the extras on the SS trim levels.   Also, GM seems to still have supply issues and there are not that many out there, and in some cases they are so optioned up with so much stuff that you may as well have bought an SS.   

To me the ideal would be a LT1 with the manual, Recaro's and maybe some optional wheels.   Personally I hate black wheels and asymmetrical wheels and I think the standard wheel is both, but you can upgrade for $100.  We can get supplier pricing, and theoretically that would be a $39,490 car for $37,827 with the supplier discount.   Not bad for a brand new 455hp 12.5 second car.  

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
2/6/23 12:59 p.m.
daytonaer said:

While I am being patient trying to wait for a msrp  gr corolla, I am trying to be responsible and have cross shopped lightly used 392 challengers and base v8 camaro's. (Stick shifts only) The Chevy can be ordered with a bright blue, comes with a warranty and a stick shift. Mustang are fun but not for me.

I do wish the 1le suspension could be optioned, need to get ss  or so trim and costs jump to the 50k ballpark which prices me out of that. Still pretty cool at 38k new.I think you can get the 1le with the 4 or 6, but I don't want that in a camaro...

I do know the challenger can be fitted with snow tires/cheap wheels and can fit 3 car seats across the back, corolla can do same with car.seats. I assume you could put 2 car seats and a booster seat in the back of a camaro and get cheap base model take off wheels for snow tires but I have no direct experience. 

great time to be alive, fun choices !

U can only get a 1le with a v8 now. Randy Pobst does  have a 2.0 1le

Opti
Opti SuperDork
2/6/23 2:55 p.m.

I looked at them and like them. I got a 1LE instead. The talk with the camaro groups is the LT1 seems to be doing pretty good and somewhat revitalized sales, although they still aren't great sellers.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/6/23 10:18 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

This offering has me wondering if I can live with 30mpg on my commute.  I could drive one of these for a long time and have lots of fun with it doing silly things on a closed course (of course). 

Opti
Opti SuperDork
2/6/23 10:21 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Lt1s are a little sparse. I prefer the 2ss for the vented seats but besides that the 1ss is fine

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/6/23 10:35 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

I can just order it and wait.  I think after buying the new Tahoe Z71 that Chevy dealer would order one for me. 

Opti
Opti SuperDork
2/7/23 8:27 a.m.

I meant sparsely optioned, which sometimes I enjoy, but not in something like this for a daily.

Example, I hate the base gauge cluster.

LT1, looks like a slightly tarted up 2008 ford focus gauge cluster

1ss and up

I also like the wider rear tires and the bigger rear brakes.

If I wanted a daily Id want the mag ride, vented seats, wireless charging, nicer door panels, and dual climate of the 2SS. If I wanted a toy to mess around with and autox/rr Id get a 1LE. If I wanted to go drag racing and get as much power as possible for as cheap as possible Id look at an LT1 (if new), but I prefer the front end of the 16-18s and getting a nicer specced used one would end up being cheaper and prettier than a new LT1.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
2/7/23 12:05 p.m.
Opti said:

Lt1s are a little sparse. I prefer the 2ss for the vented seats but besides that the 1ss is fine

No need for vented when you have cloth seats 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/7/23 1:15 p.m.

One of the GRM forum guys (name ?) bought a blue new stick shift Mustang then didn't like it and sold it.  Too heavy? Lethargic? Forgot reasons........

Is this the same? Too heavy? Too cramped?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/7/23 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

The last Mustang GT I drove (a 2018 Performance Pack Premium Convertible) was definitely not slow. It handled great and I loved the thing. I've heard the Ecoboost ones are a little pokey, but I haven't driven one myself. 

Opti
Opti SuperDork
2/7/23 2:21 p.m.

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

I agree they arent needed, but here in TX they sure are nice for a daily.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MlNiNqLhTBSjAD61CwN2N3bfKInFYlgd5rOPtam9sFAhWm8KBHatYuIF2081ar5l