S2
S2 New Reader
8/29/09 4:38 p.m.

I'm getting ready to take the Honda ('97 Civic EX, 120k mi.), on a 500 mi. trip (1000 mi. there and back again) on Monday and noticed that both CV boots are torn and happily flinging grease while under the car. I don't know how long they have been torn- didn't notice them at last oil change, so I guess under 5000 mi.

What does the collective think about me taking the trip with them torn, as is and repairing them when I get back? Am I going to destroy my CV joints without question? Or not? I may stop part way and try to pack them with grease as a preventative, and grease the roads across the SE. Thoughts?

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
8/29/09 5:13 p.m.

Id fix the boots as soon as you could. I drove my alfa for a couple of months with a torn boot and it didnt ruin the joint though. Keep in mind that CV joints are expensive, unless you want to buy the crap rebuilt ones that you have to replace all the time.

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
8/29/09 5:35 p.m.

By all means repack and replace the boots. Why take a chance ?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/29/09 5:47 p.m.

I would replace and repack. However, if you're planning on just buying new axles anyway and time's short, they will probably make it 1K miles, but be likely be trash at that point.

S2
S2 New Reader
8/29/09 7:45 p.m.

Thanks all- that's what I thought was the right answer, but was hoping differently. I'll park it until I get back and find a different means of travel. Thanks again, S2

YaNi
YaNi Reader
8/29/09 9:48 p.m.

If you get replacement boots, don't buy the crappy quick boots (the ones with the seam). They are a temp fix. Any autoparts store should have the correct replacements.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/29/09 10:14 p.m.

No clacky in turn = should be OK. Repack the CV's and replace the boots as soon as you get home, though (it gets wet down here sometimes ). Have fun!

I have to agree with YaNi, the 'quick boots' suck donkey balls.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iNpkASyv93MWUhGw21jUfQbuBjpyH6bXY73xgi6QbHn9V3JqWpBXt2uLsyUqUuGI