1 2 3 4 ... 6
RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/3/17 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Kreb:

Let's be honest. It's a glorified go-kart that is more fashion than function. But I still want one!

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/3/17 8:56 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Hey I don't mean to be doctor negative at all. Please go for it. It also looks like the ultimate father/son/daughter thing. Build 2 so that you'll always have someone to race!

RE the 1-wheel drive thing, they make mini differentials, better brakes, bigger motors (duh) et cetera, but it's so easy to get into scope creep that you end up with something much more expensive, complicated and nobody with an equivalent vehicle to race. It seems that the winning formula is to save your self-expression for the body and stay with the specification for the working parts.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/3/17 9:00 a.m.
RossD wrote: In reply to Kreb: Let's be honest. It's a glorified go-kart that is more fashion than function. But I still want one!

These things are cool to look at and probably fun to make - As something to make with your kids it would be great. But... what the hell do you do with it when you are done building it? My lawn tractor seems about as much fun to drive except that it is actually useful for something. Maybe build a ramp and jump it thru a flaming hoop or something... that would be sweet.

They don't seem all that "back to basics" to me either. Spoke wheels? Fluid drives? A regular old rotax kart is lighter, simpler, faster and handles better so if it's really about racing - you get a racing kart. And go racing.

This is just about fashion. I don't have enough man bun and skinny jeans to rock one of these.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/3/17 9:15 a.m.

They use a similar setup as a snowmobile; no fluids involved. You can have 'a style' without having it being skinny jeans and an ironic beard.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/3/17 9:22 a.m.
RossD wrote: They use a similar setup as a snowmobile; no fluids involved. You can have 'a style' without having it being skinny jeans and an ironic beard.

That's a relief because while I can buy the pants... even at 49 I can't really grow a beard.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
8/3/17 11:11 a.m.

Racing karts are are primarily for competition, cycle karts are primarily for fun. It just depends on what you're really looking to get out of your driving event experience.

The main thing possibly, but not necessarily, holding me back from eventually getting into cycle karts is the small number of available events to participate in each year...Even if I'm not that far from the biggest event in the country.

I do think a "Morgan 3-wheeler" powered by an appropriate output GY6 would be a great way to do it though.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/3/17 8:30 p.m.

I think this could be a cool addition to the 2018 challenge. I have been looking for an excuse to make one.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/4/17 5:32 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote: I think this could be a cool addition to the 2018 challenge. I have been looking for an excuse to make one.

We'd need to put a cap on the budget. But im game if rge magazine is.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/17 8:12 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

How about a spec for the high dollar parts.

CVT clutch is $85 off Amazon. Linky.

HF 212 6.5hp engine. $120

Rather than using $500 worth of motorcycle wheels and tires, we use 12" trailer wheels and tires, $160 from Walmart or Jet.com

Spindles and hubs are another $119 from Etrailer.

Pretty much everything else can be home built for cheap.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
8/7/17 8:20 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

I think their point is to make like the originals. The 17" wheels give them the original wheel size.

I like your 12" idea. Reminds me of early indy racers.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/7/17 8:47 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

The 12 inch trailer wheels make this more interesting to me. Still not sure you could get anyone to let you "compete" with them, but I'm starting to sort parts in my brain.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
8/7/17 9:04 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

we have a GRM league we can make our own rules...

Toyman01
8/7/17 10:10 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

There is some discussion about the trailer wheels on the Cyclekart forums. From what I'm reading, there are no hard fast rules. More suggestions. If it's in the spirit of the sport, they are happy.

I'd also agree with FlightService. If we write the rules for a GRM event, it's pretty much a non issue.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/7/17 1:41 p.m.

It's kind of like a truck you know what it is when you see one.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
8/7/17 1:59 p.m.
FlightService wrote: and just because this is GRM and a forum and we all like to go fast. There is this. https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fu8P9lrdcmk

LOVE that car! But it's really a Locost in drag. A LOT more complex than a cyclekart:

He even narrowed some aluminum wheels for the proper look...

More pictures here.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/7/17 2:37 p.m.

Im game, but not for spec. Let creativity flow. Part of the appeal for me is the scrounging aspect. Like i scored a free honda gx390 with a slightly mangled crank output shaft. The 20" bicycle wheels i can get for cheap. Etc.

Maybe make an overall dimension rule, 1 wheel drive and brake, and be inspired by/replica of an actual vintage racer. Add in some safety regs and bobs your uncle!

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/7/17 3:51 p.m.

I have some ideas floating around my head...

Toyman01
8/7/17 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I have a 500cc V-twin on the floor in my garage. I'm 100% certain someone on here has a liter bike engine laying around as well. I think that's a Pandora's box we don't necessarily want to open.

I'd probably have a spec for the engine at least, even if all it says is, single cylinder industrial engine and keep the motorcycle and race kart engines out of it. The idea being to keep the speeds down so we don't end up with a bunch of fully caged A-Mods and send GRM insurance into apoplexy.

I'm indifferent to the drive and other specs. I'll probably build something that can play with the Cyclekart guys, so I will probably follow their suggestions fairly closely.

My sons have also shown some interest, so we might be building 3 of them. I happen to have three 6.5hp engines and two CVT clutches that I can rob from other toys to use.

Toyman01
8/7/17 5:34 p.m.

I did find this while doing some internet prospecting.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/7/17 6:06 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Single cylinder industrial engine: definitely agree. Hadn't thought about literbikes and such.

How about a budget cap? Say $500. That should be enough for anyone, but low enough to require getting resourceful. Kinda like a 1/4 scale challenge/challenge car.

Id love to see someone come up with awd....

Would venue be dirt or asphalt? Or both? Id think dirt would limit rollover and safety risk due to lack of available grip.

And requiring a vintage style would allow for freedom but restriction. Sure, someone could clone can am cars. Or vintage indy. Or a 34 ford dirt track. Ir.....

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/7/17 6:31 p.m.

I could be interested in this for next year.. assuming the recipe does go below well below the $2500 number that gets thrown around a lot. Considering i've built massively entertaining Challenge cars that i actually DD'd before and after for less, I think $500-700 in parts is more to my liking. Seems plausible..

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
8/7/17 6:33 p.m.

In reply to fanfoy:

Yeah but that is an interesting evolution of the idea.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
8/7/17 6:39 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I could be interested in this for next year.. assuming the recipe does go below well below the $2500 number that gets thrown around a lot. Considering i've built massively entertaining Challenge cars that i actually DD'd before and after for less, I think $500-700 in parts is more to my liking. Seems plausible..

I like the quarter scale, quarter budget idea. The only rules I would make hard (other than safety) is the engine specs. That prevents some one from showing up with a super bike engine and just blowing everything away.

As far as AWD, that would be interesting with one wheel power and one wheel brake.

Toyman01
8/7/17 6:49 p.m.

So, we have quarter scale, quarter budget, and prewar replicas.

Single cylinder industrial engine.

Do we want to stick with one wheel drive one wheel brake, or leave that open?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/7/17 7:31 p.m.

I'd say replicate the break and drive system of what you are cloning. If you want to clone an all-wheel-drive monster go ahead. If you want to clone a vintage Indy car that had a peg leg go ahead. If you want to do an old dirt track special that had three wheel brakes go ahead. I'd say a minimum of one wheel drive one wheel break.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M4vAEOHrvQtmYk3jRyYNddrp1k2MPxAH6CluGbenyIBhMvcktlBcC2fWpfGMDyWQ