1 2 3
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/1/20 12:35 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

isnt PA where the Automatic WRX reigns, since you can do a torque converter in PA to keep it in boost?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/20 6:52 p.m.
MrChaos said:

In reply to Knurled. :

isnt PA where the Automatic WRX reigns, since you can do a torque converter in PA to keep it in boost?

I don't know about "reigns".  The 2.0 needs a converter, the 2.5 does not.  Mostly it seems like an issue at the starting line more than anything.

I got to drive Ed Trudeau's car a couple times, after he had a stock converter in it, and the inability to build boost at the starting line is maddening.  You can even see it in the video when the turbo wakes up about 50 feet out.  Ed will sit at the line brake torquing it for ten seconds while it slooooowly builds up to like 2psi.  (I really wish I could have driven it when he had a loose converter in it!)  Once you're moving you don't notice it though, the main issue is the lack of separate 1st and 2nd gates with the shifter (same problem my S40 had) and the steering really needs to be faster.  Which in Prepared is currently only legally fixed by starting off with a 9.2x Aero or STi.  Not sure if they made automatic Saabarus.

The real nice thing about the automatic is 1st gear is a lot longer than in a manual trans.  Manual WRXs seem to be geared so that you're always in the wrong gear, automatics aren't.

The EJ255 engine will happily build 7psi and overpower the brakes with a stock converter.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/1/20 7:02 p.m.

just sitting here waiting for the ETR SCCA Rallycross schedule to be posted. Mostly to see how many i will miss waiting for tax returns so i can pick up a car comfortably. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/1/20 7:32 p.m.

I just checked craigslist for FRS/BRZ and I would buy one in a heartbeat if I were rallyxing again.  I don't have time for it, and I don't trust the local region enough to commit to something like that.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
95mJkey3yIIXV1ovKiG2zt7C4788qBc46dqYAwD4OAnMRxwEXWDBGbCQdQzwmuKk