mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/6/08 7:29 p.m.

So, a friend came up to VA from SC for The Black Crowes, with Grace Potter and the Nocturnals opening. AWESOME show. She mentioned that she needed to pay to take the car to a shop when she got home to have the wheels rotated. After the obligatory "but you've been rotating them the entire trip here" joke, I had her pull it into the driveway.

Start to loosen the first wheel's lugs, and the 2nd nut is jammed. Hard. I ended up breaking the stud, not a big problem since Advanced Auto is less than a mile from my house. Ended up needing 2 studs, as another nut was starting to have problems turning.

The front rotors were within spec, but had a slight warp to them (I can't remember what the measurement was, but it was close). When she comes up in August for a footrace, I have offered to do a brake job for her. Any recommendations? Also, how little brake shoe is too little? I didn't get a measurement on those, but would like to be ready to replace them if necessary.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/6/08 9:10 p.m.

On DD's, I prefer lifetime warranty parts. O'Reiley's is convenient for me. Thermo Quiet or whatever "premium" pads the sell will work fine. It isn't like you're tracking the car or doing multiple stops from 130MPH. Having the lifetime warranty is great. They should realize that when they sell you a normal wear part for a Toyota with a lifetime warranty, you'll be back in another 150K miles for another one. Suckers.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
7/7/08 5:45 p.m.

If you don't want to go with Hess' plan, I always go with OEM brake pads on the appliances.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RJT68RUvpiXKrubiFG2rA38LV6OYUVC8t1PC0EPKG7y72dd8YBf9FNjIdVrpGvdK