1 2 3
glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
1/17/23 1:55 p.m.

In reply to tremm :

In 2019, I had my 2018 Ram into the local Dodge dealer (zip code = 15237, North Hills of Pittsburgh) for an oil change and also reported that the GPS positioning was about 200 miles off. They did a software update and berkeleyed the entertainment block such that the radio would not turn off. After 2 days, they finally got me a loaner, and were quite pissy about it. I called them to get an update on when my truck would be done (on the day it was promised, which changed regularly), and they wouldn't return calls. I could only speak with them if I called. 

They kept telling me that the new radio was on order and would arrive "tomorrow". I asked for tracking information and was told that they don't have anything like that as the car industry doesn't use tracking of packages. I finally got my truck back after 2 + weeks after I informed them that I was going to tow my car trailer to Summit Point using their loaner vehicle if my truck wasn't back.

The upshot is that I drive past the dealer every day on my way to work, but get all my servicing done at a dealer 40 mins in the opposite direction. Maybe they don't miss my business, and i certainly don't miss theirs. BTW - love the truck and will buy another one next year.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/17/23 4:37 p.m.
bobzilla said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Ecodiesel?

Run away quick!

This. All of this. 

Yes, do this.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
1/17/23 5:23 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Teh E36 M3 said:

Sure- so parts get ordered, Chrysler Amanda emails me saying they remitted the $8k payment to the dealer on 20 Dec.. Finally get the call that it was finished on Friday- verified with my service advisor that I owed $2400, as it came in a little cheaper with the labor. ...

So he gets there after dropping off his rental car, and they say, ok, your bill is $10,400.  ...

I need closure on this.  Was the dealer simply going to bank the $8k in customer care bucks and horse-berkeley you for the total?  Did the dealer clear that up internally, or did Amanda from Corporate have to straighten them out?

Wondering the same thing.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
1/17/23 7:21 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Teh E36 M3 said:

Sure- so parts get ordered, Chrysler Amanda emails me saying they remitted the $8k payment to the dealer on 20 Dec.. Finally get the call that it was finished on Friday- verified with my service advisor that I owed $2400, as it came in a little cheaper with the labor. ...

So he gets there after dropping off his rental car, and they say, ok, your bill is $10,400.  ...

I need closure on this.  Was the dealer simply going to bank the $8k in customer care bucks and horse-berkeley you for the total?  Did the dealer clear that up internally, or did Amanda from Corporate have to straighten them out?

Sorry- I thought I had told the resolution story- many phone calls- didn't directly get ahold of Amanda yesterday, but another rep who was helpful- after literally three of them lost connection with me. I swear by the background noise that they were driving somewhere. I'm not going to tread into the work from home debate, but if I was right, these guys are screwing the people who actually do work from home. 

Anyway, finally get ahold of someone mid afternoon- she checks to see if Amanda is available, but she is not.... 'I'll leave a note for her to get onto this asap- she's digging out from a weekend of phone calls and emails'.  I say thank you- please tell her this is urgent- I don't normally ask for special treatment, but today I need it. We are at the finish line and I just need this resolved and she has a case closed and me off her books.  

An hour after that call the big service manager called me and did the "we will just take care of this' routine. My suspicion is that my non-Amanda lady rep made a call and verified, and/or dipE36 M3 big service manager man looked and saw that they got payment on 20 December and not some time in January, where I suspect he was looking. 

Amanda did end up calling later last night to make sure it was all going well. She said she hadnt talked to the dealer, which I found interesting.  

So I'm not 100% sure how everything got finally resolved, but it is now and we have the truck, and it didn't break going to work or back, so I'm hopeful that it will last long enough to sell.  I'm not a brand loyalist by any stretch, but this is really causing me to not want a Chrysler product.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
1/17/23 7:33 p.m.

Honestly, I had a couple beers just to tone down the anger yesterday afternoon. I hate feeling that way- I'm sure it powers some dudes, but it wears me the berkeley out. 

As to the 'run from the ecodiesel' bunch...... I don't know. I bought a 3rd year gen 1, yes, but it is a pretty good motor. Even with 3.92 gears I average 23+ mpg in 70/30 hwy city driving. Powers right up the side of the Sierra 0-7500' towing my 5000lb trailer and a bed full of camping gear. Besides all the weird recalls, the only real problem I had motor-wise was due to the repair- glow plug failed on #6 cylinder- the one up under the cowl. The truck started and ran fine, but I had to clear the light for it,  $450 and 2 shop hours turned into 80 days, two dealers, four service advisors, a full head replacement and them having to lift the cab off the frame.  The axle was 'only' 73 days.  

This all has been enough drama for me. I feel like a dick doing it because it's way overkill, but I just ordered a 23 F250 with the diesel.  Which I've talked to two people who have had to replace the entire engine in theirs. But it will be under warranty for a few years and we will see how it goes. At least the motor has been around more than a decade and should be mostly figured out. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/23 7:41 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

So I'm not 100% sure how everything got finally resolved, but it is now and we have the truck, and it didn't break going to work or back, so I'm hopeful that it will last long enough to sell.  I'm not a brand loyalist by any stretch, but this is really causing me to not want a Chrysler product.

Yeah, I suspect what happened here is that there was a paperwork problem at the dealer, they got the money but posted it on the wrong account (holidays, etc).  Not surprising, could happen anywhere.

The problem was that instead of being reasonable and saying "Huh, that's odd, let me look into it for you" they resorted to demands and threats.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/23 7:42 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

This all has been enough drama for me. I feel like a dick doing it because it's way overkill, but I just ordered a 23 F250 with the diesel.  Which I've talked to two people who have had to replace the entire engine in theirs. But it will be under warranty for a few years and we will see how it goes. At least the motor has been around more than a decade and should be mostly figured out. 

Very happy with my '21 F-250 diesel, the truck is awesome.  I've only got about 14K on it though (10K of it towing)

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/23 7:48 p.m.
Byrneon27 said:

If you sign/agree to an RO you become liable for payment, can a shop "keep" your car, not exactly at least not here. I can't legally hold a vehicle, when people refuse to pay and your ducks are in line you call the police, an officer will generally politely explain that while they can take their car they won't be leaving in it but in the back of a patrol car due to theft of services, the tune usually changes shortly thereafter. If you abandon your car ie never come to pick it up and there is a bill the business can file for a mechanics lien 

Yes the estimate and wait time was probably excessive, literally everything in automobile repair currently is this way. 

You cannot do anything that hurts the dealer principal, your bad review/survey will be pinned on the mechanic and service advisor, management at bad dealerships never suffers. 

In TX where I ran shops, it was stupid easy.  Take the signed RO and receipt for parts to the state tax office, fill out a form, write a check for $55.  They notify the owner of the car that if they don't pay the bill in 30 days, they lose the car.  At that point the DMV issues a title to the shop and the car is ours.  Period.  Did it multiple times.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/17/23 7:48 p.m.

I know of multiple people with the eco diesel on their 3rd engine when they sold them. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/23 8:04 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Teh E36 M3 said:

Yeah, I suspect what happened here is that there was a paperwork problem at the dealer, they got the money but posted it on the wrong account (holidays, etc).  Not surprising, could happen anywhere.

The problem was that instead of being reasonable and saying "Huh, that's odd, let me look into it for you" they resorted to demands and threats.

This is exactly my take, and I was talking about it with da boss after work today.  Mistakes happen, we're all imperfect humans, what makes good customer service is how mistakes are handled.  That is how we do business.

It is amazing how people expect to be confrontational when there is a mistake or communication fault or... whatever, and then get defused when the initial response is "Well, let's make that right."

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/23 8:09 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
Byrneon27 said:

If you sign/agree to an RO you become liable for payment, can a shop "keep" your car, not exactly at least not here. I can't legally hold a vehicle, when people refuse to pay and your ducks are in line you call the police, an officer will generally politely explain that while they can take their car they won't be leaving in it but in the back of a patrol car due to theft of services, the tune usually changes shortly thereafter. If you abandon your car ie never come to pick it up and there is a bill the business can file for a mechanics lien 

Yes the estimate and wait time was probably excessive, literally everything in automobile repair currently is this way. 

You cannot do anything that hurts the dealer principal, your bad review/survey will be pinned on the mechanic and service advisor, management at bad dealerships never suffers. 

In TX where I ran shops, it was stupid easy.  Take the signed RO and receipt for parts to the state tax office, fill out a form, write a check for $55.  They notify the owner of the car that if they don't pay the bill in 30 days, they lose the car.  At that point the DMV issues a title to the shop and the car is ours.  Period.  Did it multiple times.

It is a righteous pain in the ass in Ohio, requiring a chain of documentation with the vehicle's owner (or certified attempts to contact them) and can take a year or more to get the title to a car so it can be scrapped.

Contrary to fantasy, people do not abandon L88 Corvettes at repair shops smiley

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
1/17/23 10:57 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Teh E36 M3 said:

This is exactly my take, and I was talking about it with da boss after work today.  Mistakes happen, we're all imperfect humans, what makes good customer service is how mistakes are handled.  That is how we do business.

It is amazing how people expect to be confrontational when there is a mistake or communication fault or... whatever, and then get defused when the initial response is "Well, let's make that right."

Yes! I just needed to know someone was on my team- or pretending to be. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
1/17/23 10:58 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

I would bet good money this is exactly what happened. Frustrating but it's over. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
1/18/23 7:05 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
Byrneon27 said:

Horrible pain in the ass in PA involving at least two third parties one of whom has to be a "licensed" salvage operator, a newspaper, two gov. agencies, and a visit to the courthouse. I've done a couple in my time owning/running shops and honestly I don't fight over them any more, bill under $2500 let it rot behind the fence, certified letter at 30, 60, 90 days, at that point I take my parts off and report it as an abandoned vehicle 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/23 8:52 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Ecodiesel?

Run away quick!

Yeah. I told my BIL and FIL not to buy them, they both bought 2016's. BIL wanted a cummins, paid more than I paid for my new cummins 3500 because "ecodiesel was cheaper" - yeah when you tick every option box on both trucks I guess. FIL's has been in and out for engine and exhaust related issues, BIL is captain confidence because extended warranty. I'm never giving them advice on anything again

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/18/23 9:24 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Is this the bil I met that one time? Seemed like a nice truck from the outside. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jxw41Ur5fnIiEywIKmRmOVTHxkOvbKNeuuIwKmhWSCimdlvRy8yKClv2HJtapI8U