1 2
preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/22 4:43 p.m.

This Miata Thread got me thinking about my prejudice/superstition on parts/purchase of a death car (I hope no one died in that car or any really). Nope. No way. yep, nope.

Little Bastard James Dean's 550 is said to be cursed.

I remember seeing a R32 for sale somewhere but the interior was plastered in dried blood. Nope. Don't care how rare the part is, not gonna happen.

While I assume this is a general consensus I do not know.

Would you use parts off of a killer?

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/12/22 4:49 p.m.

I have.

Those cars in the wrecker with the windshield blown out from the inside... Guess what those are?

The little grey, rubbery chunks you find on the inside, that's not rubber.

Doesn't bother me in the least. 

If it bothers you, check your horoscope before you leave the house in the morning and be sure your feng shui is correct.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/22 5:01 p.m.
ShawnG said:

If it bothers you, check your horoscope before you leave the house in the morning and be sure your feng shui is correct.

Insulting? I do not check either.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/22 5:04 p.m.

I took parts off a car with bloodstains on the interior, don't know if anyone died in the wreck but it's not a problem for the parts that aren't damaged or bloodied either way.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/12/22 5:08 p.m.

I'm with ya.  It's not rational I'm my opinion, but no me gusta.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/12/22 5:29 p.m.

Brother and my best friend worked as tow truck drivers.  When I'd come home on leave I'd ride with them as that was sometimes the only way to hang out with them.
One day we picked up a car, box Caprice, from a church on High Street.  We were called there on a police rotation, the car had been involved in a police shooting.

Its hard to forget the blood and brain in the seat.  There's a difference when its dried and in the yard, but even then your brain shows what it looks like wet.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/12/22 5:58 p.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:
ShawnG said:

Nope, just trying to be a little funny.

People die in houses, I don't have a problem owning a house someone died in.

People die in hospitals and ambulances but I'm not bothered by them either.

I want a hearse one day. Statistically, they're probably the safest car, hardly anyone has actually died IN one. My wife is freaked out by them, I just think they're the nicest half-ton ever made.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/12/22 6:01 p.m.

No issue for me at all.  

I'd bet that the James Dean parts all went on super fragile, dramatically unsafe Porsches that had a survival rate of about 5% in any type of collision, so I dismiss the curse, other than the curse of  being dumb enough to drive a car that unsafe in the first place.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
12/12/22 6:23 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

No issue for me at all.  

I'd bet that the James Dean parts all went on super fragile, dramatically unsafe Porsches that had a survival rate of about 5% in any type of collision, so I dismiss the curse, other than the curse of  being dumb enough to drive a car that unsafe in the first place.

IIRC that JD made a poor judgement turning illegally with the setting sun in his eyes.......

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/12/22 6:38 p.m.

No problem. Wrecked motorcycles, no not a problem, either. The nicest house I've ever lived in- the owner/builder died in it.  Took weeks to discover the body-loved that house, and the man who died atop the mountain he'd climbed (building that magnificent passive solar beauty).

johndej
johndej SuperDork
12/12/22 6:39 p.m.

Father in law got shot in the temple through the B pillar of his work van a bit more than a year ago. Still with us and actually working through OT trying to find a way to drive again. Blood all over the place when we cleaned it out at the tow yard. Ended up totaled but other than some damage from sliding down the jersey barrier, probably plenty of parts off a newer big ram van that'd be usable. Sometimes they make it and I'm sure it got picked over by car-part then a pick and pull.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/12/22 6:47 p.m.

Depends on the car.  Wife's uncle passed away in his pickup truck, Do I want it?  I don't need a truck right now, but I would have.

20 years old a friend blew his brains out in his hot rod Corvette over some silly girl- do I want it?

No berkin' way :- (

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/22 8:09 p.m.
ShawnG said:

I have.

Those cars in the wrecker with the windshield blown out from the inside... Guess what those are?

Airbags that blew?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/22 8:14 p.m.
ShawnG said:
preach (dudeist priest) said:
ShawnG said:

Nope, just trying to be a little funny.

People die in houses, I don't have a problem owning a house someone died in.

People die in hospitals and ambulances but I'm not bothered by them either.

I want a hearse one day. Statistically, they're probably the safest car, hardly anyone has actually died IN one. My wife is freaked out by them, I just think they're the nicest half-ton ever made.

The house my grandfather died in was haunted anyway.  Everyone who lived in that house had the same, almost identical, creepy dreams, and we only found out about that while reminiscing at a birthday party about ten years after it was sold.

A roommate had a hearse.  I disagree, it is more like a 3/4 ton.  Durn thing probably weighed 8000lb and should have had two sets of shock absorbers.   Caddy made their commercial chassis beefy, and it was an S&S Superior, and they are the gold standard in hearses.  He bought it because the load bed had rollers and bier pins, so he could use it to haul his bikes, then when he didn't need to do that, roll in the subwoofer/amplifier box.

He'd bought twelve JBL Power Series subwoofers for it...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
12/12/22 8:42 p.m.

One of the yards I use will seal off the interiors of vehicles that potentially have dried liquids and list them as biohazards, which they are.  You can still pick some exterior pieces but nothing from the inside. Most go straight to the crusher. Seriously, if someone you loved was killed or badly injured in an accident would you want someone else crawling around in the vehicle?  At the same yard, if a vehicle arrives at the yard that was involved in a violent crime that included injury the car has to be crushed while a police officer is there physically watching it get crushed and then sign off that it was destroyed.

Opti
Opti SuperDork
12/12/22 9:32 p.m.

Doesnt bother me in the least.\

Someone I know bought a house involved in a shootout. When we were renovating we had to scrape the peeling paint off of the wood siding. Bullet holes everywhere. No one cared. They still live there

I currently own 2 homes. 1 built in 1912 and one I have tracked back to 1886, the deed lists an earlier sale for reference but I cant track that sale down, but I know its older than 1886. No deaths in the home listed in the disclosure but 140 years is a long time for stuff to be forgot. My neighbor and wife swear it's haunted. I no care.

Skobie
Skobie New Reader
12/12/22 9:37 p.m.

I'm an organ donor, so someone will take my used parts when I die.

If I ever needed an organ, I'd be getting used parts involved in a death.

Not only acceptable, but wonderful imo!

Folgers
Folgers Reader
12/12/22 9:37 p.m.

Step dad used a twelve gauge while sitting next to his suburban with the windows down. 

I picked the big chunks out, and drove it to the detailers. I forget what we paid them,it cost more than expected but worth it. 

I convinced mom to sell it about four  years later. 

When the professionals came in they got rid of most of the clutter, replaced the drywall, replaced the exterior siding that had a hole from the slug, cleaned everything worth keeping. 

I still had to pick bits of skull, hair and skin from the lawnmower and snowblower.

I believe Hydrostatic shock is the term. It’s real and stuff goes everywhere. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/22 9:38 p.m.

Not for me. When I was skyline shopping I found a wrecked one that had a bloody interior but didn't look terrible and then someone here found the obit of the young soldier that died in it. I can find the parts or car elsewhere. 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/13/22 1:16 a.m.

I remember going to the pick a part when I was a kid and there was a car with the perfect shape of a skull in the windshield, complete with blood, hair and flesh. It kind of sticks with you. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/13/22 1:40 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Death in a house is usually peaceful. Death in a motor vehicle is violent. Almost always violent.

If a house once had a basement filled with severed heads of tortured murder victims, yeah, I'd move on, just like I do with car parts drenched in blood.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
12/13/22 8:00 a.m.

Worst claim I had was a big Chevy 4x4 truck that the owner decided to end his life in by using a gun. It was at Copart and had not been cleaned since the day it happened. The smell was just...barf inducing. No problem taking parts off of it but you did NOT want to open the doors.

The only creepy one I ever had (and I've seen my share of fatality cars) was an Explorer that was not the death car but the car that t-boned a woman and killed her. For some reason it gave me the willies. 

aw614
aw614 Reader
12/13/22 8:45 a.m.

I think I would feel uneasy, especially if I knew the car and the story behind what happened. One YouTuber I don't recall who was at a wrecker yard showed a car that was involved in an accident that was big news in the local media that people in the car community knew. It was kind of eerie still sitting there especially almost a year and a half later. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/13/22 8:51 a.m.

Due to hazmat considerations I would generally prefer parts from an alternative source if its related to the interior. There are some things that it just feels like no amount of scrubbing can get rid of. 

I do inspections of vehicles that have been involved in incidents as a part of my job, so I am a bit numb to the creepy aspects. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/22 9:33 a.m.
Folgers said:

Step dad used a twelve gauge while sitting next to his suburban with the windows down. 

I picked the big chunks out, and drove it to the detailers. I forget what we paid them,it cost more than expected but worth it. 

I convinced mom to sell it about four  years later. 

When the professionals came in they got rid of most of the clutter, replaced the drywall, replaced the exterior siding that had a hole from the slug, cleaned everything worth keeping. 

I still had to pick bits of skull, hair and skin from the lawnmower and snowblower.

I believe Hydrostatic shock is the term. It’s real and stuff goes everywhere. 

Reminds me of the story of a woman who jumped off a hotel roof and landed in the parking lot. Later they found splatter under the wheel wells on the far side of a car she landed close to...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BTYoZod8yYMCtywSgBAbx9xgLxzy5RWK2Jj2M21hZqLCWE81MZVVUNLzqRbpfCWE