kturner
kturner New Reader
7/16/08 6:04 p.m.

I am looking for any advice as to how to deal with a well known, reputable prep shop that I hired to install a cage in one of my cars. The car has been at the shop for almost 5 months after the rescheduled drop off date (I scheduled three months ahead of time and it was pushed back a month by the shop). I am told it has been started but I work an hour away (two hours in traffic) and can't get there during the day, it wasn't in the lot the last time I went by two weeks ago; maybe inside. I have asked for pictures a few times to prove that they are working but haven't received any. No money has been exchanged but I have expected dates gone by and agreed cost in emails. They tend not to answer the phone or return emails but I have spoken with a vendor that sells to them and am told it is par for the course. Aside from more jumping up and down or showing up with truck and trailer and then having to find someone else to finish the car, I am out of ideas. I think I have been patient enough and haven't had major work like this done before but I don't think this is how most businesses operate. I was wondering if anyone has ever been in a similar situation, or has any good methods for getting somebody to jump. The entire shop leaves next week for a particular extreme competition in CA and won't be back til aug.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/16/08 6:15 p.m.

I waited for a year on a shop that was doing the convertible top reupholstery on my Volkswagen Bug. Well, all they ever did was deupholster it, they never made any progress whatsoever putting back together or doing the custom work we had talked about. For reference if this is ever googled, it was a place here in Portland called Bright Auto Upholstery. Mike told me his price up front and I never had an issue with it, but he just didn't want to do it I guess. I tried everything, left it for a few months without even talking to him, after that it was monthly checkins, then weekly. I finally just had to come pick it up with a truck and trailer. While it was there he also broke the antenna, let it sit out in a rainstorm one afternoon, and the car had a mild rear end collision (nothing consequential fortunately)...not a good time. This was the first time I've ever farmed out work, talk about a bad entry into custom upholstery work!

FWIW, the "we've got a big show" thing came up a bunch with this shop also, they had plenty of other VWs come through the shop, there was always something else that was more important for whatever reason. I think my custom work was just more hassle than the typical gravy that came through the shop, or maybe they didn't think I was really ready to cough up the cash...I offered up a little seed money but they said they didn't need it. If they don't think your work is the most important, they're most likely going to do crap work, that's why I finally gave up. I knew that my slow meticulous work would be just as good as their slow half-assed work, except a hell of a lot cheaper. This place also had a waiting list so it took a few months before I even dropped the car off...it turns out getting the car in the shop doesn't mean they're going to be working on it, just that they have a slot in the shop.

Good luck. I took the truck and trailer method, I like having the car in my shop with slow progress a hell of a lot more than I did in another shop with no progress.

Bryce

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
7/16/08 6:33 p.m.
kturner wrote: I am looking for any advice as to how to deal with a well known, reputable prep shop that I hired to install a cage in one of my cars. The car has been at the shop for almost 5 months after the rescheduled drop off date (I scheduled three months ahead of time and it was pushed back a month by the shop). I am told it has been started but I work an hour away (two hours in traffic) and can't get there during the day, it wasn't in the lot the last time I went by two weeks ago; maybe inside. I have asked for pictures a few times to prove that they are working but haven't received any. No money has been exchanged but I have expected dates gone by and agreed cost in emails. They tend not to answer the phone or return emails but I have spoken with a vendor that sells to them and am told it is par for the course. Aside from more jumping up and down or showing up with truck and trailer and then having to find someone else to finish the car, I am out of ideas. I think I have been patient enough and haven't had major work like this done before but I don't think this is how most businesses operate. I was wondering if anyone has ever been in a similar situation, or has any good methods for getting somebody to jump. The entire shop leaves next week for a particular extreme competition in CA and won't be back til aug.

Well, I quess the old tried and true method of contacting a lawyer always tends to get things moving but that will cost money (unless you have a family member in the legal business) and in itself will take some time. Good luck.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/08 11:22 p.m.

Move it to another shop, as fast as you can.

Izzy's Cages
Izzy's Cages New Reader
7/17/08 4:25 p.m.

Yep, take your trailer and show up unannounced to pick it up. Otherwise they might "close early," do some quick shoddy work or pad the time sheets. If they claim you owe them $$$ for work performed, ask to see the time sheets and pay them what they've got in it. No time sheets or obvious work, you load it up and take it with you. It's your property and if you show up to pick it up during business hours, I doubt there's much they can do to stop you.

Unacceptable no matter how big or small the shop is. I cringe when I hear stories like this. It usually happens to very good shops that get too much work, which ultimately leads to very unhappy customers, bad word of mouth and then to the shop closing up. This is another reason why I haven't expanded. Only room for one project at a time. If it's in the shop, it's being worked on. I start getting itchy if the cage creeps up to the 3 week point.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/17/08 4:32 p.m.

Yup. Truck and trailer unannounced, even if you have to take a day off of work. Leave with the car. PoPo if they give you E36 M3. AMF.

Izzy's Cages
Izzy's Cages New Reader
7/17/08 4:35 p.m.

Also...on the other side of the coin, it's sometimes very hard to stay on schedule with a custom shop. Inevitably, customers change their minds mid project, reschedule, add extra's while they've got the car in the shop, parts are delayed, cars aren't quite in the shape expected @ delivery etc.

None of that is a reason for poor communication or lack of progress in the time the car has been there.

kturner
kturner New Reader
7/17/08 8:52 p.m.
Izzy's Cages wrote: None of that is a reason for poor communication or lack of progress in the time the car has been there.

This is my biggest problem with the whole thing. I would have taken a simple "we just can't get to the car until next month we are swamped" call. But that time has passed and I am missing races while they go play.

Update: Finally got the pictures I was promised. Looks 70%. Nice work too, its a shame. We'll see, I'll keep you updated.

Izzy's Cages
Izzy's Cages New Reader
7/17/08 8:57 p.m.

Sounds to me like someone got wind of you + internet forum ;)

Post some pics?

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/17/08 10:16 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: ... AMF.

adios mofo?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/17/08 11:25 p.m.
Nashco wrote: I think my custom work was just more hassle than the typical gravy that came through the shop...

I suspect you've nailed it there.

kturner
kturner New Reader
7/18/08 7:19 p.m.
Keith wrote:
Nashco wrote: I think my custom work was just more hassle than the typical gravy that came through the shop...
I suspect you've nailed it there.

Yes, but they are a race prep shop...

I will update with picts when it is a little further along.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a40P7pTKzdHseZyVPrV637ubxovXBSFi8771EZs3nRVCXHkxY1uxQWXTOzO3RpjZ