1 2 3 4 5
RevolverRob
RevolverRob New Reader
1/7/21 10:54 p.m.

One thing I'll say, those 12v Milwaukee ratchets look good. The size/shape of the Ryobi battery system makes the cordless ratchet worthless. My father had one for awhile, I tried it a handful of times, but it's too big and bulky to fit in most places. I basically found that anywhere the ratchet would fit, a 3/8" impact would fit. The few places where the ratchet fit and the impact didn't, a 4" flex extension let's the impact fit.

I've been tempted by some of the smaller 12v cordless ratchets though...

RevolverRob
RevolverRob New Reader
1/7/21 11:15 p.m.

Anyone ever try OEM Tools cordless things? This R2 ratchet looks slick in terms of size. But the switches look a little chintzy...and at 250 bills I'm not willing to take a flier on a tool that could be a dud. 

R2 Ratchet

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/8/21 6:54 a.m.

Rigid here for their lifetime warranty on certain tools. ON my 3rd generation of 1/2" impact wrench and just picked up the slick mini air compressor for pumping my tires back up after track use.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/8/21 7:17 a.m.

The reviews of Ridgid and the warranty are compelling.  How does Kobalt compare?  Lowes are much more common than HD here (and I have a Lowes CC).

I have a corded Ridgid tool and it has been very robust.

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
1/8/21 7:31 a.m.
flatlander937 said:

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

Those are the non-Fuel models. Basically not really worth it. There is a huge difference in the power of the regular brushed stuff and the Fuel impacts. We had the compact 3/8 non-Fuel impacts at work and they're basically worthless. Won't take off many cars lug nuts, bulky, etc. We finally got the M18 mid torque gen2 to replace them. Massive difference.

I have heard the Fuel vs non-Fuel ratchets is a preference thing though... The brushed ratchets are physically smaller in diameter apparently. Haven't used either yet. I honestly don't use air ratchets that much, when I do it's a 1/4in. I could probably count on one hand the times I use a 3/8 air ratchet yearly.

The brushed 3/8" ratchet has more than enough torque for its use.  The fairly low torque is actually a benefit, use it to tighten fasteners and then hand tighten with the same ratchet.  I feel like with the brushless high torque version you'll be snapping fasteners constantly, it's tricky to control the ratchets when the fastener gets close to fully torqued.  Hard to describe, but at least on the brushed 3/8" ratchet the ratchet continues to "spin" (apply torque) for about 1second after the paddle trigger is released, so you need to let off immediately when the fastener gets close to torque spec or it will "over spin" the fastener.

With the 1/2" ratchet I could see the higher torque being a benefit, if you're working with very heavy duty fasteners. But tightening down a m6 bolt with a brushless 1/2" ratchet will likely explode the threads when it gets close to torque.

100% agree on brushless only for any impact wrench.

Cedricn
Cedricn New Reader
1/8/21 7:35 a.m.

Makita for the screw driver, ratchet guns, recip saw, garden tools etc, both batteries and tools have been flawless regardless of use over the years, so I will probably stick to them. For the small stuff like the magnificent grinder and FUEL 3/8 ratchet i went with milwaukee, since makita didnt have anything like it. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/8/21 7:46 a.m.

Dewalt here. Good quality, wide variety of tools, and I can get them anywhere.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/8/21 3:36 p.m.

I've owned (and used) a bunch of different systems.  I have a bunch of Black and Decker 20V tools which I'd classify as homeowner-grade (I killed a drill driver once), but I have a ton of their batteries and they work well for what they are.  I have the drill, mini circular saw, two string trimmers, and a hedge trimmer. 

My wife bought me a 12V Makita hammer drill which I love, and I picked up a Makita 12 3/8" impact as well, which is also very well made, and just as capable as the hammer drill. As an example the Makita 12V is more powerful than the Black and Decker 20V.

I'm heavily invested in the Milwaukee M12 and M18 platforms, and really like their stuff.  My FIL was a contractor who recently retired after 40 years, and I've seen him go through a lot of different tools during that time. His Milwaukee drill and impact driver set he had for a solid 5 years before he left them on his tailgate when leaving a job site, and that was the longest tenure of any tool he owned.  I shop the Milwaukee sales on Slickdeals.com, so I feel like I never really overpay for anything.  The big 2767-20 M18 impact has taken off multiple Honda crank bolts with easy, and I love the RPM step down feature once a fastener has broken lose.  The brushed 3/8" ratchet is also a great tool, and as others have said, it's a much better size than the fuel version.  I have my eye on their M12 1/2' right angle impact, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  And my favorite is probably their M12 compressor, I added a standard chuck to it and really love the portability, power, and battery life.  Their lighting options (both M12 and M18) are also good and I don't think there's a tool I own of theirs that I'd consider a dud.

I recently picked up a Worx wand-based 720 psi pressure washer that uses their 20V system (two batteries at a time).  I bought it with the intention of using it to wash off the cars in the winter (I can use a 5 gallon bucket as a water source with their included water pump), and it works great for that purpose.  I hate car washes because I've heard they recycle a lot of their water, which means they're spraying ever car down with a mix of the chemicals they use to treat the roads.  Not sure if that's 100% true, but if was enough for me to decide to try something out where I know the water source (my well).

My BIL and FIL both have Ryobi tools and I've been impressed with those, as well. Their cordless brad nailer (typically on sale for $100) is a great tool.

All in all, there are many great options out there to make our lives easier!

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/8/21 4:20 p.m.

I have Milwaukee m12/18...

I typically buy the fuel versions, but my ratchets aren't and they can be useless in some instances.

Last time I needed a new drill, I bought the fuel version that was a 2pc kit with the drill and hex driver from HD. When I bought it it came with a "free" additional tool, I took the hacksall because the jy's don't want sparks flying. That's was $560 worth of tools for $400 and no changing battery systems.

350z247
350z247 New Reader
1/8/21 8:07 p.m.

In reply to RevolverRob :

I have the Husky 3/8 ratchet. The battery is non-removeable which was a bit of a concern, but it lasts a really long time. I've owned it for over a year and only charged it a few times. I got it on sale for like $50 with a carry case and ~20 sockets. It had the same exact specs as the Milkwalkee ratchet but at a fraction of the price. When the battery eventually gives out years down the road, I'll either solder in a new one or just buy the tool again.

drock25too
drock25too Reader
1/9/21 10:28 a.m.

Over the years, I have had a variety of brands. Craftsman, Snap-on,  Milwaukee, and others I can't remember.  A couple of years ago, my wife bought a Dewalt 20v drill, and I have started to migrate to all Dewalt stuff. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/2/22 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18V-Cordless-2-Tool-Combo-Kit-with-1-2-in-Drill-Driver-1-4-in-Impact-Driver-2-2-0-Ah-Batteries-Charger-and-Bag-R9272/315110228

I just bought that to replace a craftsman 19.2v C3 set that I have had for years..   I wanted Milwuakee, but I don't use the tools enough to justify them..    Adam Savage ethos rings true , buy the tool cheap at first, and if you use it enough to break it then go out and buy the best one you can afford (paraphrased.. 

Anyways thanks for the recomendation.. they seem like a good solid start into the ecosystem.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
1/2/22 1:49 p.m.

If anybody is interested in trying out a cordless ratchet, I seriously recommend the $59 (was $49 last year) Husky 3/8 cordless ratchet. I did an oil pan and valve cover gasket job recently and this saved so much time and effort while supporting things in awkward positions. I have broke some bolts overtightening stuff while thinking I was loosening them, though!

If this Husky ratchet ever breaks, I'll upgrade to a Milwaukee one as I'm fully vested in that ecosystem.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/2/22 2:09 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I wanted Milwuakee, but I don't use the tools enough to justify them.

FWIW, I wanted Ridgid and ended up with Milwaukee.  Ridgid theoretically has lower prices but in reality, Milwaukee is very often available at a significant discount, while Ridgid is rarely more than 15 to 20%.

Fueled by Caffeine
1/2/22 2:19 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Yeah. I missed the deals on m12 this year and needed something. So this is it. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/22 6:22 p.m.

I have pretty much used Milwaukee for ever for both corded and cordless tools.  Brushless is the way to go. By once and cry once is what I tend to go by for tools I use more than a couple times a year.  Drills, impacts and ratchets get the majority of the use so I don't go cheep on them.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/22 7:39 p.m.

I was given a Ryobi drill years ago. So that put me in the Ryobi ecosystem. The tools have all been solid enough for home use. I don't think I've ever had one fail.

Any tool that does real work around here either has a cord or an air chuck on it, though :)

Fueled by Caffeine
1/2/22 7:43 p.m.
Keith Tanner 
Any tool that does real work around here either has a cord or an air chuck on it, though :)

Yes this is my thoughts as well. As a homeowner I'm cool dragging a cord around.  I use these tools maybe once a month.

But it sure seems like everyone with the red or yellow boxes spends a lot of time justifying their purchase r/tools I'm looking at you. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/2/22 9:19 p.m.

This happened Saturday:

Inhave a post on here looking for replacement dewalt batteries. The wife bought me the 20v 1/2" impact in 2016 and it's been indestructible. Lowes had a 5 piece set with two new batteries and charger for $249. Done. Only thing I still want is a cordless sawzall so next Black Friday I'll keep and eye out for one. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/22 9:53 p.m.

I  used Black & Decker tools for many years and never had a problem. When my 12 V batteries got so old that they would not recharge, I went to the Makita LXT system and I've been very happy with it so far.  Everything I have is incredibly tough and I like that they have some compact options in addition to full size options on things like circular saws and sawzalls. My latest acquisition is their cordless shop vacuum and it should really be the second thing you buy after A drill driver. 

Like a few other people, I also have the Milwaukee 3/8 ratchet and similarly sized grinder from Milwaukee. It's a great system for smaller stuff. If you're a fan boy, Milwaukee offers a lot more stuff at Home Depot to rep your brand than Makita. (Hats, gloves, etc). 

Makita also offers 36 V tools that use two batteries. No need for anything like that yet, but nice to know that they exist. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
1/2/22 10:55 p.m.

I went with Ryobi 18v

I was working at HD at the time and they had a great deal where you got a drill, two batteries, charger and then one other tool for 99 bucks. I went with the circular saw.

Since then Ive added a leaf blower, string trimmer, and 1/2 impact. Also got some worklights recently, 2 for 20 bucks

JimS
JimS Reader
1/3/22 3:11 a.m.

I was impressed at how well a little 4v Ryobi worked that I started buying Ryobi 18v tools. Still have the little 4v along with many 18v and never had a problem. Big fan of Ryobi for bang for the buck. I also still have a complete set of air and corded tools that I seldom use. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/3/22 7:10 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Ridgid octane in the garage and at home, though I envy a lot of the Milwaukee 12v stuff, but for some gruntier things I definitely need 18v

On the road and at the junkyard, Parkside (lidl house brand that uses samsung lithium ion batteries). If my $80 cordless impact with $17 replacement batteries walks away, it stings a heck of a lot less than my $280 impact disappearing. Unless I'm dropping a subframe at the yard, the ridgid stays home. 

I've been eyeing 3/8 12v cordless "stick" wrenches, Milwaukee will likely win. Some of the house brand stuff (kobalt) is tempting, but if I venture into a 3rd battery family, I want something that will be solid and have a good number of platform uses. The only reason I even have the Parkside impact and drill/driver because my cordless yard stuff (hedge trimmer, leave blower, weed wacker) is all their stuff as well. 

RIDGID now has the free lifetime tool replacement thing which is bonkers. Sold me the last time i was going to switch over to Ryobi/Dewalt. 

I had an impact from RIDGID that pissed me off since it would barely remove lugs on my Colorado. Went to Home Depot to replace everything with a kit from Dewalt or Ryobi. The rep from RIDGID was there doing demos for the new brushless tools. Told him that i wasnt interested since my last piece of crap impact would barely budge a lug nut. He gave me a 6 piece set, a new charger/two 4k mah batteries and a free tool for $239 just to keep me with RIDGID....then he signed me up for the free tool replacement.

So far, i have had one battery replaced and one drill that i broke myself. No questions asked and replaced both with a bigger battery and the new Gen5X brushless drill. 

So now i own just about every RIDGID tool they make...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/3/22 8:31 a.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

Can you swap them at the store now, or do you still have to take them to an "authorized service center"?

The lifetime warranty got me interested, and made me a customer, until I tried to use it and needed to make multiple trips to the middle of nowhere to get my tools sent out to be fixed then picked up again. If they've changed that so you can swap them at Depot now, or mail them in, I may need to revisit rigid. 

I've been more or less happy with Bauer since I switched off rigid. With the availability of inexpensive battery adapters, I think brands matter less now than ever before.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
1/3/22 8:45 a.m.

They gave me Milwaukee at work and it works great, but if I'm paying for it, it's Ridgid all the way.

At my last job we went through every manufacturer and when they broke, and they always broke,  we'd go to the cabinet and pull out the 10 year old Ridgid stuff, absolutely beat to E36 M3, and still working.

The lifetime warranty is icing on the cake.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uarkdhZ7Q2jzBIZrjvvuAy6vpuXGPa0FCyNozjnrgw7GT2VBsYURKAziigKckDAE