manladypig
manladypig Reader
2/26/22 5:13 p.m.

I moving out and I gotta ditch this Fiat shell. It has no wheels. It has the ability to get wheels bolted but because Fiat, the bolt pattern is 4x98 and there is really no readily available cheap wheels I could use for rollers.

So how do I go about disposing of a car with no wheels? It has no engine, interior, nothin and the body is junk. Just a few suspension bits 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
2/26/22 5:22 p.m.

Craigslist we buy cars people, my 280se shell went that way.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/26/22 5:22 p.m.

Double-up some 3/4" plywood, drill a center hole, dril your bolt pattern and bolt them on. Will easily support the weight and should be enough to "roll" it on and off a trailer. If it's a bare shell, a single piece of plywood will work.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
2/26/22 5:34 p.m.

Get some 4x 100 wheels and drill out the holes......

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/26/22 5:35 p.m.

I have junked a shell like that.  Called one of the places that buys junk cars.  They didn't give me anything, but they took it.  Just dragged it onto a roll back tow truck.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/26/22 5:45 p.m.

4x100's should bolt right on. Not ideal but fine for what you're doing

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
2/26/22 6:22 p.m.
rustyvw said:

I have junked a shell like that.  Called one of the places that buys junk cars.  They didn't give me anything, but they took it.  Just dragged it onto a roll back tow truck.

This.  I wouldn't bother with trying to put wheels on it, they'll just drag it up on their rollback truck.

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/26/22 7:34 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
rustyvw said:

This.  I wouldn't bother with trying to put wheels on it, they'll just drag it up on their rollback truck.

I did the same thing. With my Saab 9-3 non roller. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/26/22 8:23 p.m.

In reply to manladypig :

There are way too many ads for guys looking for junk cars. 
    If you have tittle to it call one and let them deal with it. 
 If you don't have tittle  it gets a lot harder. The plywood wheels will work but then you've got to get it someplace.  
    Do you have a dumpster at work?  A friend have access to one?  You know someone who will let you put some scrap metal in it?  Cut it up and dispose of it that way. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/26/22 9:41 p.m.

I cut the car in half (no longer a car at that point) and dropped it off at metal recycler.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
2/26/22 11:06 p.m.

I sold what was left of an NA miata with no suspension. I put the body on Harbor Freight moving dollies and kept the dollies after the wrecker drove off.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
2/27/22 8:25 a.m.

Call your local junk yard, they'll come take it. Might even give you a few bucks

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/27/22 8:53 a.m.
Peabody said:

4x100's should bolt right on. Not ideal but fine for what you're doing

Uh, so do trailer wheels that are 4x4 (maybe?) I had to do it to get an x1/9 home when I was flat towing it one time. 

Op I wish you were close to me. I've got way too many 4x98s laying around (and that one trailer wheel)...

shelbyz
shelbyz Reader
2/28/22 2:01 p.m.

I've done this a few times with and without wheels/tires, and the easiest and most financially rewarding has been to go through my local "Scrap Metal Recycling" place. They send out a flat bed tow truck whether it rolls or not, and they usually encourage me to throw any other scrap I have in it. Depending on the driver or how nice the truck is, they either carefully lift it off the jackstands I've got the shell on or they just hook up the winch and drag it across my driveway with the jackstands getting folded underneath it. They charge a lower rate if the car has no wheels/tire and cats and dock $40 if they have to pick it up, but I usually get something out of it. Off the top of my head, a completely stripped Chevy Cobalt got me around $60 and a lightly parted Geo Prizm filled with brake rotors and other metal crap netted me somewhere around $220 a few months back.

The caveat however, is that the car has to be titled in my name for them to do so. But it usually pays more than what junkyards want to give for a shell and less headache than trying to get ?hobbyist? scrappers to come pick it up.

Though the latter option might be the best recourse if the title isn't in your name or you don't even have it.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/28/22 2:52 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
rustyvw said:

This. I did a search on Craigslist, didn't even have to pay the guys. It was an NA that was basically just the shell with a blown 1.6. Didn't even take it off the jack stands, we pulled it down on to some pallets, they pulled it up on to their rollback. 

They were there maybe 7-8 minutes. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/28/22 3:55 p.m.

An acquaintance of mine once got rid of a battered old rusty Jeep XJ Cherokee by Sawzalling it into manageable chunks and taking it to the metal recycler.  He said he was amazed at how easy it turned out to be.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
2/28/22 3:58 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

It's even easier (and more therapeutic) if you have access to a plasma cutter.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/22 10:18 a.m.

A bi metal blade and a sawsall. As Air said it is no longer a car so title issues go away. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3JKBAr6Oebx9gOXD58zKwrfQaiLylPoiDkU7tGKeL5lfmBdMJ5XGsn1y1ZHn4LM8