1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/14/13 5:06 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: I was simply observing that as soon as David said that he would take submissions from people the thread went silent.

I dropped to email to discuss an idea. I suspect others did, too.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/14/13 5:52 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
brave race wrote: In reply to dean1484: Since when do you have to write articles to justify making observations/comments about them?
I am not saying you do I was simply observing that as soon as David said that he would take submissions from people the thread went silent. I for one am impressed. I can not think of any other magazine that would even respond to a thread like this never mind actually invite people to submit something to them. One more reason why GRM is #1 on my book!

They never responded directly to my original post...

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
1/14/13 6:29 p.m.

Nor does one have anything to do with the other.

The magazine has always encouraged submissions from it's readers. I can't think of one that doesn't.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/14/13 6:40 p.m.

Reply to your original post:

I think the 911 article pretty much explains what was done. Everyone is free to have their own definition of the world "rebuilt," but we described exactly what was done and why. We also detailed every part that was replaced so a future owner can see what was done. If necessary, all of the receipts are in a binder. We weren't trying to mislead anyone, including the readers.

In most cases, yes, with a traditional rebuild you'd remove the pistons. With the Porsche, once you pull the cylinders from the jugs, now you're looking at a lot more work since the cylinders cannot be honed or bored--most likely new jugs, new cylinders, etc. Since ours looked great (factory cross-hatching, no obvious problems) we decided to keep those parts mated together.

We also debated splitting the case, but there's some caution here: If it's not leaking and everything looks good, splitting the case can sometimes lead to other problems--like leaks.

So we did what we did and explained why. We also did so on a budget. A new piston and cylinder set for our engine retails for $3200 to $4200 depending on compression ratio. We decided to retain the ones we have. (As our Porsche-friend noted, they're made my Mahle.)

The main goal was to show everyone that these engines aren't to be feared, and what first seems like a catastrophe can be fixed. Yes, you'll need special tools, but fortunately there's lots of people who play with Porsches. If you ask around, there's a good chance someone can help with tools, advice, etc.

In the end, several months later, the engine is still running like a top.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/13 6:43 p.m.

The flip side of the coin is that a few years ago I was asked to do an article for Fine Homebuilding Magazine. Previously I had tried to make it as a writer, failed and gone into contracting. Someone who must have known me from both worlds recommended me to the magazine. I was busy at the time, and perhaps a bit intimidated and I turned the work down.

I've regretted it ever since. If you have a great idea, pitch it! Better yet, just do it on spec and I'll betcha that you'll enjoy/learn from the experience sufficiently to make it worth your while whether it gets published or not.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/14/13 6:57 p.m.

Anybody wanna read an article from someone who hate writing white papers try to document his IRS from scratch, made out of metal and brawn and then shove it under the back of an E30? If I were to do it right... it should go from tubes to take a checkered flag at some point this year. Planned start date for making smoke is somewhere mid-feb after I finish remodeling the bathroom. First race of the season is April. Not sure if I can make it but if it is the sort of thing that gets published I'd make sure to take a lot of pics and good notes along the way.

I was planning just to toss out a build thread but if I could get famous, do shaving ads and E36 M3... that would be swell.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/14/13 7:06 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: The magazine has always encouraged submissions from it's readers. I can't think of one that doesn't.

That's how I got my start here. I'm still waiting for those shaving ads, though.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
1/14/13 7:31 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Anybody wanna read an article from someone who hate writing white papers try to document his IRS from scratch, made out of metal and brawn and then shove it under the back of an E30? If I were to do it right... it should go from tubes to take a checkered flag at some point this year. Planned start date for making smoke is somewhere mid-feb after I finish remodeling the bathroom. First race of the season is April. Not sure if I can make it but if it is the sort of thing that gets published I'd make sure to take a lot of pics and good notes along the way. I was planning just to toss out a build thread but if I could get famous, do shaving ads and E36 M3... that would be swell.

Even though I'm no longer an E30 owner, I would love to see an article/build thread on this.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/14/13 7:37 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I'm still waiting for those shaving ads, though.

Be careful what you wish for, you do work with J.G....

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
1/14/13 7:48 p.m.
modernbeat wrote: The magazine you are speaking of is called Car Craft.

Only if the best car in the whole world is a '72 Chevelle with a 383 stroker.

I gave up on Chevy Craft too.

Shawn

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/14/13 7:50 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

For some reason you seem to think I questioned the thoroughness or accuracy of your article, which I did not. In fact I complimented it.
I'm going to stop beating this apparently dead horse, except to say that you are still side stepping the question I really asked, which is why you called what was essentially a valve job an engine rebuild. You did a spectacular job of writing an article about repairing a porsche engine, but you did not in any way rebuild it. I stand by my original stance that it was misleading, and there's plenty of people in this thread that seem to agree.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/13 8:30 p.m.

I think that once the point has been made, beaten into the ground, roto-tilled with fresh chicken E36 M3, and had a layer of sod planted, it can be let go.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/14/13 8:37 p.m.
kreb wrote: I think that once the point has been made, beaten into the ground, roto-tilled with fresh chicken E36 M3, and had a layer of sod planted, it can be let go.

So... your saying there is no use beating dead whores?

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/13 8:49 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Anybody wanna read an article from someone who hate writing white papers try to document his IRS from scratch, made out of metal and brawn and then shove it under the back of an E30? If I were to do it right... it should go from tubes to take a checkered flag at some point this year. Planned start date for making smoke is somewhere mid-feb after I finish remodeling the bathroom. First race of the season is April. Not sure if I can make it but if it is the sort of thing that gets published I'd make sure to take a lot of pics and good notes along the way. I was planning just to toss out a build thread but if I could get famous, do shaving ads and E36 M3... that would be swell.

I would love to see this article. I hope that being edited enough for print publication for general consumption (e.g. no discussion of beating dead anythings) doesn't ruin your style, and I really want to read about this process...

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
1/14/13 9:07 p.m.

I have actually entertained writing for a living. As it stands, I'm not sure I'll ever make it a day job, but it's a heck of a fun pass-time.

While most of what I write is short blog-style posts, I do write a few 2000+ word pieces, and could be interested in doing so on a monthly basis.

All of that said, my issue is photography. I have a DSLR that, when in my hands, captures images about as well as a potato. You can pitch a E36 M3ty article on great photography, but a lot of great articles will be passed on because of sub-par photography.

I guess it's time for me to learn how to use this expensive camera phone that can't make calls.

With all of that said, I am not convinced that I could improve on GRM's current formula. I do agree with the general sentiment, though. Rewind the magazine about 4 years, and it was perfect. I used to read issues cover to cover, but now I barely get through 3 or 4 articles.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/15/13 12:04 a.m.

Guys

I have been staying out of this, but have some things to say.

First, thanks to my staff for handling this thread so well. I know, for you, as hard as we have been working lately on tech stories (straight through, the holidays, every day including Christmas), this is a most frustrating, and frighteningly ironic thread.

Readers-Don’t think for a second that we haven’t talked about this thread at length the last few days.

We get this thread kind of thread every few years and as always, it is started and jumped on by those who haven't actually sat down with a year’s worth of magazines and analyzed every story. Look back through the last year and check out the welding, fabrication, tuning and other stories we have done. look at them all-not just one issue, and you will see we have not changed. Thankfully, many, many of you have said we are doing our best work ever right now.

And, don’t think for a second that I don’t keep a spreadsheet on every issue of every year for both magazines and know exactly who wrote what. I am the number four writer between the two magazines, and do much of the tech stuff. I am probably the only magazine owner who does this much writing. Bottom line, I am in it for the experience and love this stuff, not the money. Working every night last week; welding and thrashing on the Miata to make it safe for the David and Alan (not me) to take to Sebring last weekend is my reward. I still love this stuff. And notice I said $500 Miata and not new Ferrari, which to be blunt, if I emptied some of the other old junk out of my garage I could afford now.

All magazines ebb and flow. Some issues will have tons of stories you like and some won't. Some will be real technical and others less so. When we have to cover things like the end of the year championships we have less room for tech stories. Don't panic. We are still here and know what you want. We are still listening and coming up with new ideas every day.

Several erudite posters, and there are a lot of you, mentioned that the message board reader is not the average reader. That is true. Nothing personal, but you guys (as a group) tend to skew younger and less affluent. We know this, but we also know that you are our most passionate readers and we love and respect you for this.

That said, the average reader wants some, if not a lot of new or late model coverage and some, but not an excruciating amount of technical information. More than anything, I think the average person wants to learn, laugh and be entertained. We also fuel people’s lust for that next cool car or go fast goodie to put on that car.

As for tech editorial. I have taken over as tech editor of Classic Motorsports. If you also read CMS, and hopefully you all do, starting with the March issue you will hopefully notice an expanded, more interesting and fresh new approach to this section of the magazine.

I have gotten way more involved again with Grassroots Motorsports project cars, starting with the Lincoln, the aforementioned Miata and the Subaru that starts next month.

As for a high dollar, let's just bolt something on attitude. that's just b.s. All three of the aforementioned project cars were purchased for a sum of $3012 and we did virtually everything ourselves, except for some expert tuning help on the Subaru.

Speaking of expert tuning. I don't know everything about every car. And you can't just call someone like Mach V Tuning and say, "Dan my good lad, how about spending two days with me and teaching me everything there is to learn about Subaru tuning.” I can do that, and did, and one of the biggest services we provide is not giving you half-assed, heard it on the internet, type of information from people who don't know what they are talking about. We get you the real information from real experts. Dan at Mach V knows more about Subaru tuning than probably any of us will ever know. For a mere $20 a year, through your subscription, I can get you information from guys like this. This is valuable.

Another example is track testing. I stood in the cold wind a few weeks ago as we base lined our Shelby and tested some other cars at the FIRM, so we can get you real world numbers before and after, rather than rumor and advertiser claims. That Shelby Mustang, with a few tweaks is going to be viciously fast by the way, but that's another story.

As for staff changes, that is the nature of any business. Without going into details and airing dirty laundry, let me just say that you will see some great new tech stories, writers and ideas coming out in the next year. If you are not very pleased, I will gladly refund your money, assuming you actually buy a subscription and read the magazine and are not just bitching on an open forum.

I have been doing this same magazine for 29 years. We have survived both Gulf wars, Sept. 11, the digital revolution, the advent of the internet and several recessions. I am sure I have changed some, as has the rest of the world, but I am sitting here writing this at one in the morning, so one thing hasn't changed, my passion for this subject matter and my deep and honest thanks for your passion. I have met most of you and in my wildest dreams I could not have imagined how much of a family we would be able to create. Heck, 2,365,000 unique visitors went to this site in 2012. I never thought it would all get this far and I have you guys to thank for this.

I do want to make it clear that David and I (and usually other staff members) have meetings at least weekly. I am still constantly learning, tweaking and helping to guide the editorial of both magazines. We just added a TDI Beetle to our long term fleet and are going to explore alternative energy performance vehicles with this car and the Volt. David and I read every letter to the editor and they go into a file when we plan next year's editorial to ideas can be given serious consideration and use a lot of reader ideas.

My wife, my staff and I and now my son, who is obviously a part of the technical story future of this whole thing thank you deeply.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
1/15/13 12:43 a.m.

I wonder how many businesses would allow you to picket on their property? Thanks to GRM for allowing this discussion to occur, and for addressing concerns presented in this thread.

A point that should be made is that GRM's audience is like an 1800's schoolhouse, where students ranged from kindergartners to tenth graders in the same classroom. This mixed audience requires information presented to all audiences. For those who have read for ten, twenty years, what information was fresh when you first started reading, that is now taken for granted?

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/15/13 6:08 a.m.

Thanks, Tim.

I appreciate you taking the time to chime in here and let us know what you've got in mind for the magazines. I don't know of ANY other publishers who take that level of interest in the opinions of their readers.

This is only semi-related, but I also want to point out that you guys really take care of people at the challenge....I was shocked when YOU - mid event in $2011 - were the one to respond to my "help, that guy needs a welder" email.

Make no mistake; we do appreciate what you do with the magazines. As I've pointed out in this thread and previously, you do a good job of balancing the high-dollar articles with the low-budget-fabrication articles. What I want to read is a magazine named "GRM: What is happening in Andy Nelson's Garage?" I understand, however, that this would not be a viable business model. You have to meet the interests of the majority of your readers. If that means new car reviews (that I still won't ever read), so be it.

More importantly to me, you allow this forum to exist, providing an outlet for those of us who don't fit your typical reader profile. This place is a wealth of knowledge, and a community, where members help each other with ALL KINDS of things, many (most???) of which have nothing to do with cars. Because of the forum, you guys will continue to get my subscription dollars, regardless of magazine content.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/15/13 7:12 a.m.

Thanks for the attention, Tim. Please don't feel as if we're attacking. It's the best mag going. I subscribe (for the record) to Car Craft, Hot Rod, CM and GRM and that's all. If anything lapses, it will be CC and the Hot Rod first.

I guess, if anything, if I may attempt to speak for the general feeling of this thread, we're saying: don't forget about us. Don't forget about the guy who can't shell out $125 for the tool on the Porsche he just spent too much of his savings on, don't forget the guy trying to make his E30 perform with a 2012 M3 (not a 2012 330 or whatever it was) with nothing but a welder, some chewing gum and a junkyard. It sounds as if you haven't. Sorry for the pile-on. Most of us are quite happy with the mag. Not to mention, I saw my picture in the latest GRM Lemons coverage, so that was pretty cool too.

Keep up the good work.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/15/13 7:37 a.m.

No problem guys, as I said earlier, I have lived through a lot of changes in this business over the years, and the advent of public forums is one of them. Rather than shun this ability for you to picket in our property, as one of you so eloquently put it, we have embraced this new technology. As I also said, after personally working through the holidays on; a definitive test of if Water/methanol injection actually works, a how to TIG weld story, another story on media blasting vs. dipping, a story on how to make your old Mustang handle, and stripping a Mini Cooper to a bare shell, making your ChumpCar project safe and then going through a rally school (yes, all this in Dec.) the whole idea that we have lost our way is so freakin ridiculous.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
1/15/13 7:42 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: I have actually entertained writing for a living. As it stands, I'm not sure I'll ever make it a day job, but it's a heck of a fun pass-time.

I have entertained this idea as well. I went to school for journalism and when I sit down and really pay attention to what I'm doing, I can write pretty well and still know how to organize information in an article intended for publication.

My technical photography skills are tolerable as well.

For better or worse, I ended up working as an engineer instead. Not really my first love, but the pay is good.

I still have a pet dream of doing a '99.5 - '03 ALH TDI project car with an eye towards F-Street Prepared/hillclimb-TT racing and rallycross. Maybe if I can sell my E30 I will.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
1/15/13 7:54 a.m.

I'm hating the idea of beating a dead horse but I'll add this:

Bravenrace is concerned not about the writing of the "rebuild" article, he's worried that culture may change the meaning of the word "rebuild" and that may seep into the shop definition of "rebuilt engine" and we'll end up with valve jobs and paying for full tradition rebuilds.

Personally, I don't think we need to worry about the definition being skewed because anyone who is doing a engine rebuild knows that a "top end rebuild" differs from a "short block rebuild" and potential buyers should be certain to ask a seller if he got the whole engine rebuilt vs the valve job.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
1/15/13 8:30 a.m.

Great response Tim. You're in a field of one when it comes to automotive publishers and like family - we're loyal, but I'm sure we can be a pain in the ass too. I think the takeaway is that there is a segment of your readers that are interested in the techy side of things and a good chunk of that particular group also make up a substantial percentage of your challenge builders who will be demanding great content - for whatever that's worth.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/15/13 8:32 a.m.
oldtin wrote: Great response Tim. You're in a field of one when it comes to automotive publishers and like family - we're loyal, but I'm sure we can be a pain in the ass too.

Just this morning I was telling my kid that he'd better be happy he has any breakfast at all, and I thought of this thread. We're not all your kids, and we may complain, but we appreciate it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/15/13 8:41 a.m.

Hey Tim,

Please adopt me.

Love,

The Poster Formerly Known as CelicaHalftrac

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yvqMK8Lc60Hyj6FdEsRGURIo5M6eEj9YGulXvOmK557OQF9XYa4r4CIiPBMmA3uc