lsumner
lsumner New Reader
1/7/21 9:06 a.m.

Having just graduated Georgia Tech (one of the Wreck Racing kids if you are a part of/follow the $2000 Challenge), I've created a company here in Atlanta focused on bringing OEM-level integration and safety to the DIY EV conversion space. I have experience at an OEM (GM) and also a lot of interaction with the DIY car community through the $2000 Challenge and the Factory Five 818 kit car that I've built. It seems like the interest is there for building or converting a car to electric, but there's some significant hurdles in the way right now - it's not easy!

Obviously, we want to hear exactly what people are interested in and tailor our product to that. I've made a brief survey to gather opinions and would really appreciate any input you have (Even if you don't yet know much about EVs)! The survey is super short and should only take 1-2 min. Or even if you don't like surveys, send something on this thread!

Survey: https://bit.ly/DIY-EV-Survey

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/21 9:13 a.m.

Done, but I'm a little confused. How much would I pay for a drop in EV conversion? That depends entirely on whether it is good or not. Gives my minivan tesla power? that's one price. Makes my MG function similarly to a golf cart? That's an entirely different price. 

Maybe update that question to "how much would you pay for a conversion that meets your goals?" or something like that. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/7/21 9:14 a.m.

Also, we need to chat at the challenge. Or here. 

lsumner
lsumner New Reader
1/7/21 9:22 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Done, but I'm a little confused. How much would I pay for a drop in EV conversion? That depends entirely on whether it is good or not. Gives my minivan tesla power? that's one price. Makes my MG function similarly to a golf cart? That's an entirely different price. 

Maybe update that question to "how much would you pay for a conversion that meets your goals?" or something like that. 

Good point, I had aimed the question at "that meets your goals". I'll try to clarify that.

Shoot me a message on here! I can give you my contact info - always happy to chat.

Done. I agree with Robbie, my answers could have varied quite a bit depending more detailed questions. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/7/21 9:48 a.m.

One bit about the survey was questions around how you would start to convert the non-believer (the last choice in the first question). You got to that a little bit in one of the questions but the rest had almost too much depth in them to answer if you weren't already considering this type of conversion already. I think a more interesting version would be what are the pains in doing an EV swap (even lack of information, turnkey solutions, component avail, etc) vs a more general engine swap/update of an older car. 

Beware of the results of I would pay XX$ for something as well as people tend to be more bullish with typed monetary values rather than paper! I do innovation/business development professionally if you ever are looking for advice/counseling/shoulder to cry on as to why your great idea doesn't get traction.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
1/7/21 10:08 a.m.

again we have the weight of batteries to think about , 

I think a pancake  electric motor  to  get your car moving from 0-20mph  before the IC is activated   would be great for a lot of city driving ,  

Good luck and study what other countries are doing , there are a lot of good ideas out there

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/7/21 10:12 a.m.

Watching. Carefully. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
1/7/21 10:19 a.m.

There is a glitch in your survey. The battery management question won't let me give an answer, and therefore I can't submit. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
1/7/21 10:22 a.m.

Also...

I still not keen on the wording of tour cost question. 

"What price would you pay for a drop in EV drivetrain that meets your goals?"

Does that include batteries?  Entire management system?  Wiring?

If it's truly a complete system, I'd pay more. But I don't see how you can make a truly drop in complete system that is universal to different cars. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
1/7/21 10:24 a.m.

In reply to lsumner :

You've got a PM

lsumner
lsumner New Reader
1/7/21 10:47 a.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

Also...

I still not keen on the wording of tour cost question. 

"What price would you pay for a drop in EV drivetrain that meets your goals?"

Does that include batteries?  Entire management system?  Wiring?

If it's truly a complete system, I'd pay more. But I don't see how you can make a truly drop in complete system that is universal to different cars. 

Yes, that price is intended to encompass everything needed to make a car move with only electricity.

Really appreciating all the feedback! - It's difficult to make an all-encompassing survey. Too long and people don't want to answer, too short and you leave too much open to interpretation. Same with the wording because I am trying not to steer people towards one direction or another.

lsumner
lsumner New Reader
1/7/21 10:52 a.m.

Also, can't tell if I'm crazy but I see how to send messages on here to members but not how to read them...Any advice?

I've got a contact page on my personal website as a last-resort: https://www.818coupe.com/contact-me

I'd post my info here, but trying not to leave it for the bots to find...

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/7/21 11:25 a.m.

In reply to lsumner :

PMs should go to your email you used to sign up for the site. 

lsumner
lsumner New Reader
1/7/21 12:02 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to lsumner :

PMs should go to your email you used to sign up for the site. 

Awesome, haven't seen anything yet but I'll keep an eye out

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
1/7/21 12:34 p.m.

In reply to lsumner :

OK, so I also contacted you through tour personal contact page. 

First rule of business... be easy to contact. 

SVreXPaul at g male

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/21 2:02 p.m.

Following! 

I filled out the survey and I wanted to note that I think 2 changes might need to be made.

1 I think the drop in solution needs to be better defined. I assume it would include a battery, controller, and motor. But does it include a transmission? Is the motor on a drive unit like a Tesla? Does the system include cables, harness wiring for 12v systems, battery cooling provisions, a connector for charging? All of these will influence what I would pay.

2 your question about the ranked order of things that keep me from trying an ev conversion skips a big one for me which is how ancillary systems that currently draw off rotational force or waste energy for my ICE would be integrated/ powered when my ICE goes bye bye. Systems like A/C, power brakes, and power steering.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/7/21 2:20 p.m.

I recently ran a thread on converting my MGB GT to electric. The conclusion was that 60 miles of range was unrealistic and $10k was the entry point for cost. At that point I realized that if I really wanted a golf cart-mobile to bomb around town, a used EV from the OEM world was a better path.

Survey done.

One of my main concerns with a home built is corrosion, as in salted road, corroded contacts corrosion. Also, safety. Also fire and electrocution.

The appeal of electrifying existing cars is strong. 

lsumner
lsumner New Reader
1/7/21 2:40 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) said:

Survey done.

One of my main concerns with a home built is corrosion, as in salted road, corroded contacts corrosion. Also, safety. Also fire and electrocution.

The appeal of electrifying existing cars is strong. 

High voltage system safety is a big one of our considerations. Current retrofitter's and DIY builds typically get by with the bare-minimum, far less than production cars.

lsumner
lsumner New Reader
1/7/21 2:57 p.m.

In reply to lsumner :

So my PMs definitely aren't working on here, neither sending nor receiving. I added my email to the survey.

Raze (Forum Supporter)
Raze (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/8/21 3:02 p.m.

Filled it in :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CcxOJjUvxwzurgOcXVBc61YuJgYddUgp4Cmql8xttY37IsHuNfAoz9zCdVYXW05n