M030
M030 Dork
1/5/16 2:27 p.m.

I am looking for suspension set up advice. Like the SPEC cars, I've unstaggered the tire sizes a little to dial out some understeer. (235F/255R vs 205F/255R). Next I'm going to install factory Porsche Rest-of-World M030 "sport springs & dampers. I intend to replace every rubber part in the suspension and Heim joint it where reasonable (many of the Boxster Spec control arms and related suspension links are commercially available this way). The question I have is about anti roll bars. I'm thinking of running a stock Boxster S front bar with a 19.4mm adjustable rear bar from Patrick Motorsport (same rear bar Boxster SPEC cars use). I've also got solid steering rack mounts for it. My specific goals are: dial out some understeer to make it more neutral, improve turn-in response, and get the steering feel as close to a Lotus or early 911 as possible, while keeping the ride livable (it is a street car that I autocross sometimes). If it ends up sitting like a first-gen GT3, all the better, but that's not the goal here.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/5/16 3:00 p.m.

oooohhh this is of interest

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/16 3:27 p.m.

If not using it for Spec, I'd contact JRZ and Elephant to see what they'd recommend bar wise for such a setup. Luke Oxner, or the Drake family may be able to give some insight as well. Best of luck.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/16 4:03 p.m.

I don't think that will keep the ride livable.

M030
M030 Dork
1/5/16 6:19 p.m.

Musante Motorsports just got back to me and they suggested an adjustable front antiroll bar, as well. Their take is that, if both ends are adjustable, it can be tweaked until I find the Goldilocks of set ups.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/16 6:20 p.m.

Chris and his guys know their stuff :thumbsup:

M030
M030 Dork
1/6/16 6:15 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

I could not agree more! Chris & the crew at Musante are great! I usually post my questions here before pestering him, though, so I'm closer to becoming a paying customer when I call or email him. Simply, I like to have an idea of what I really want before I ask him, so I don't waste his time.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/16 7:16 a.m.

Kind of relevant but I have adjustable bars front and rear in my 924s Weltmisters I think and once I got them set in the butter zone for my driving style it transformed the car. And you probably know this but tune by adding grip where you want it not by subtracting it from the other end. This is critical in momentum cars.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/16 7:21 a.m.

Don't know if this would be available for your car but I would do the following as it is the track day street car set up I have used on many 944s

I use adjustable Weltmister bars. Koni sport adjustabe shocks and struts and Eibach variable rate springs. This is a very good track day autocross street driven car setup that is compleetly reversible if needed.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/6/16 7:24 a.m.
M030 wrote: Musante Motorsports just got back to me and they suggested an adjustable front antiroll bar, as well. Their take is that, if both ends are adjustable, it can be tweaked until I find the Goldilocks of set ups.

Well that would be bad wouldn't it? I mean, getting your ass kicked and probably eaten by 3 bears for stealing their food...I can't see how that would be positive.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
1/6/16 8:35 a.m.

Interesting. When I test drove boxsters, the understeer turned me off to the point that I gave up on them and went back to miatas. Well, that and the weight.

Hmm (heading over to CL)...

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/6/16 6:13 p.m.

I'm going to guess a Miata would understeer horribly with a 205/255 staggered tire setup.

racerrick
racerrick New Reader
8/3/19 7:41 p.m.

If you're going to "square up" a Boxster then square it up!  I run my 987 Boxster S with 275 all the way around for the track and 255 or 265 all the way around on the street.  NO UNDERSTEER whatsoever!  I thought about a Miata; but, I don't look good in a skirt - LOL.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4cYeaRWrWMqh77TGKHCDBpGTHHEHv59wdoedaGD172Nf9uQpsaf55IZmU3r2krUU