1 2 3 4
Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
7/21/18 3:43 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

Here is a bizarre cross shop. How about a Cobalt SS? Are they as horrible as I imagine they are? 

I was thinking about this today. Not sure why you would think they are horrible (they are not), or why you would look at them if you did but I've been known to go off on a tangent and start looking at project cars that are out of the ordinary for me. So I drive one and that usually puts an end to it one way or another.

Early 2000's I was convinced I needed a Neon. They were very popular on this forum and a (mechanically) not unattractive package, all things considered. So I shopped it, found just the right car, went to drive it with money in my pocket and absolutely hated it. I couldn't understand why anybody would want to drive one.  So it was over and I didn't have to think about it again.

So I think you should drive one, one of whatever you think you might want and either get it out of your system or a new car.

NickD
NickD UberDork
7/23/18 5:25 a.m.
conesare2seconds said:
NickD said:

Also, the C4 has some pretty idiotic engineering. For example, need to replace the battery? Prepare to remove the left front fender and the entire rocker panel

Sorry man, you’re doing it wrong. Gill panel yes, rocker no. 

To get the gill panel off, requires removing that bottom bolt that comes up from below, which is covered by the rocker panel. GM Service Information lists removal of the rocker panel as a preliminary step even.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
7/23/18 7:30 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

FWIW, I didn’t need to remove the rocker panel on mine. Gill only, very quick job.

i didn’t like my c4 (lt1, manual) for my purposes (fun dd/autox). Everything about the interior screamed cheap and nasty - especially the turn signal feel. The previous car for the role was an e36 m3, which filled the role well.

the c4 was quick though, and handled much better than most would have you believe. I was running z06 brakes, ra1’s, bilsteins. The car was very well balanced and predictable.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/23/18 7:46 a.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

I've read one reason for the Neon popularity was Dodge contingency money.  Apparently a lot of fast guys raced and won in them because of that, not because they liked the car. We may never know if the drivers won because of the car or if the drivers won in spite of the car. I suspect the latter. 

Otherwise, I agree with the "drive to get it out of your system" suggestion. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/18 7:59 a.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to Suprf1y :

I've read one reason for the Neon popularity was Dodge contingency money.  Apparently a lot of fast guys raced and won in them because of that, not because they liked the car. We may never know if the drivers won because of the car or if the drivers won in spite of the car. I suspect the latter. 

While there was contingency money from Dodge, they truly were great cars for their time, and quicker around the cones than their stats on paper would seem to indicate. They were also classed well, which is just as important a factor. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/23/18 8:13 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

If not a Corvette, then what else? Ferrari, Mercedes, Jaguar, another American brand?  Mustang or Charger?  

As a Kid I wanted a Corvette and I’ve owned 2 so far.  But my heart always goes back to Jaguar and now I have too much experience, knowledge, parts, equipment, History to select something else.  

You’re young,  not too old to try others.   Select another choice, try it out, you may go back you may find a new favorite.  

wspohn
wspohn Dork
7/23/18 10:57 a.m.

The Cobalt SS was a great car that largely landed in the hands of people that wanted to modify them. Stock examples aren't that commonly available any more.

The turbocharged direct injection 2.0 LNF engines were tunable from the stock 260 bhp up to around 500 bhp with a turbo swap and retune, and the Cobalts didn't have the drive line loss that the front engined Solstice and Sky, which used the same engine, did. Also used in the HHR 'minivan'

The transmissions in the transverse installations weren't as strong and putting 400 Tq through them could result in grief.

A stock looking 400 bhp Cobalt might be a fun street car.....

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
7/23/18 1:28 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to Suprf1y :

The contingency was a big reason some of the fast guys bought them for sure.  I know of at least three front runners that probably would not have bought them otherwise.  I did drive an ACR version for multiple events, including a pro solo, and although it was very capable, it was not very exciting.  I used to call it the toaster of autocross.  But it was relatively inexpensive, and could win its class easily, and in the right event, earn you some money.  I haven't as well of a supported program for autocross since then.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/23/18 10:16 p.m.

In the context of 'other 1994 vehicles in its class' the Neon absolutely was the sports car of the bunch. I've driven BP proteges and non-vtec Integras (1994-95, remember) and most anything else you can think of in that genre and honestly they're worse. 

Now, if you take it out of that context then sure, it's an obsolete E36 M3box with no traits that stand out in the modern era besides its light weight. Which, generally, also applies to pretty much all  older cars when considered outside the context of their own era. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7acD78ERzl0OkAgHN9z0CeACOh01GUjWf5gZxm5kp3R9KTeKizsAVtUzbG08V1Ns