1 2
gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
10/2/19 7:38 a.m.
Cooter said:

The rule of thumb in my family has always been to never get the first model year of any generation of vehicle.   Let them figure out what they messed up with the design and production techniques before buying what could be a warrantee nightmare.

After working in the service department of dealerships for a couple different manufacturers i can say this is definitely correct. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/2/19 8:03 a.m.
jamscal said:

A good thread spinoff might be cars that are better than the new generation that replaced them.

1985 Rx-7> 1986 Rx-7  

1999 Eclipse > 2000 Eclipse

Super Beetles were the first case of a new change causing a backlash that came to mind, although personally I don't get it. The jump from the '99-00 Civic Si to the "toaster" 7th generation Si also comes to mind.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
10/2/19 9:07 a.m.

There were two recent vehicles that I can remember causing a ruckus with consumers when they debuted upgraded models the next year:

2010 Mustang: After Ford debuted the refreshed 2010 model, the styling was updated but it carried over the engines from the previous year. The next year, the 5.0L Coyote V8 and the new 3.7L V6 were available, and 2010 owners were PISSED. The new V6 made almost as much power as the GT's 4.6L V8!

2008 WRX: When the 2008 WRX was announced, most fans of the WRX were underwhelmed. It was frumpy compared to the 2002-07 models, and it was bigger and softer with a largely carry-over 2.5L engine (although the trans was upgraded a bit). The next year, Subaru listened to the detractors and changed a number of things about the WRX, including improved styling, more power, and better suspension components. It was a huge hit, but people who bought the 2008 model were livid. I remember people on NASIOC.com trying to organize a class action lawsuit against Subaru over the upgrades.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/2/19 9:20 a.m.
jamscal said:

1985 Rx-7> 1986 Rx-7  

What? The 1986 RX-7 with the Sport package was better than any 1985 model.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
As0bSBxupOBtdR67IGt9P1KGGMi8vTEBbCgt5G5hO7BMGG0JSGSHwSr7CApRTpRT