Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/4/17 3:46 p.m.

Do we have a thread on the ins and outs of looking at enclosed trailers?

How much of a premium are you looking at over an open top standard twin axle car trailer?

Anyone have experience enough to know how secure they are for storage?

How big does one need to get in order to fit 2 cars?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/17 4:04 p.m.

They're as secure as anything else that can take a padlock IE anyone with a cordless grinder can get in, or if you believe in cheaping out on locks anyone with bolt cutters.

The premium over an open trailer is 2-3 grand depending on size of unit

"2 cars" is subjective. You haul 2 miatae like Keith then 28' works. You haul 2 1970 fleetwoods you need 42'.

Nobody has bothered getting into any of mine by force be they at home, at a hotel, or at someone else's house. I use good hardened locks

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/4/17 5:58 p.m.

42' that would be rather large indeed. 2-3 grand isn't that bad for the added utility/security

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
9/4/17 6:23 p.m.

Don't forget, depending on what car(s) you're hauling, the enclosed trailer will likely lead to higher fuel costs as well.

imgon
imgon Reader
9/4/17 6:41 p.m.

I bought an enclosed 20' over this past winter as an upgrade to my 18' open trailer. It is awesome that I don't have to spend a bunch of time unloading work stuff out of my truck to load up race stuff and then load the car, almost all my race stuff just stays in the trailer, so prep time is much shorter. I wish I had bought a 24' as the 20' is just a little smaller than I expected once the car is loaded. I also went used and did a poor job of making sure I was getting a good deal, I missed a bunch of repairs that were needed. I would recommend getting axles rated for 10k as you may get to the 7k axle weight limit of a base trailer quickly once the car and equipment is loaded up. The other thing to take into consideration is towing is a little more challenging. Lots more drag and reduced visibility. As for storage and security, that all depends on where you are. Most are easy to break into. So park in well lit areas and keep your fingers crossed. One of the guys we race with towed his street/ race car to a race and parked the truck and trailer at his hotel and took the car to a work appointment and came back to discover that the truck and trailer had been stolen. There always seems to be dirt bags just trolling around people that have nice stuff. Make it hard for them to get in. As for cost, if you are really lucky and trip over a used one for maybe as low as $3-4k and new from $6-10 depending on how fancy you want to get. Resale on used is typically pretty good so you should get most of your money back if you decide to sell.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/4/17 6:42 p.m.

I recently had a thread about this.

There wasn't a lot of info on brands, but it was a great discussion on size and values.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/4/17 6:55 p.m.

Great thanks. It doesn't seem that there are many mega brands and lots of smaller shops making trailers all over

Also your thread pretty much gave me everything I needed!

I really hope better search is in the forum redo

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sSjQqg61PtSdPg3XbbvUvBotD1KBwDfEohVWcl3llLem8Dzpi33fUn8m4B8WkSFz