1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/18/20 5:48 p.m.

Yep. I used to do it when I was younger, don't really enjoy it now. 

I typically get whatever I'm driving a FULL interior/exterior detail/paint correction once per year. Maybe hit it with spray detailer/spray wax every few months. That keeps the car "slick" enough that I can go to the car wash, and just use the sprayer to get all the dirt off. 

I should probably start doing it myself again. Stop being lazy and save the money for something else.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/18/20 5:51 p.m.

I do know, whatever new car I get next. I will be taking straight to the detailer to spend some coin on full paint correction + clear wrap before I ever start really driving it.

Powar (Forum Supporter)
Powar (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/18/20 7:17 p.m.

I enjoy it and have done many of our cars over the years, but lately I've actually traded some parts for detailing work to a friend who does it semi-professionally. He made my very swirly 12 year old towing and roadtrip vehicle look better than I thought it could, and got all of the funk off and out of the R53 after it sat for 2 years (under a tree) at the hands of the previous owner. His results were better than mine would've been, and the only time investment was driving them to his shop.

I regularly hand wash each of our cars (minus my wife's DD) using the 2 bucket method in the driveway, and try to keep the interiors wiped down and vacuumed myself.

My wife pays $50/mo for unlimited washes and interior details at a local carwash chain. They do an excellent job and it is one less car that I have to keep clean.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/18/20 7:37 p.m.

Customers and inventory cars at work, yes, they get detailed.

My personal truck? Washed once a year, whether it needs it or not.

Our cars only see a pro the day before they go on Craigslist.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
6/18/20 7:58 p.m.

I love doing it but never have the time. When I get a new to me car I go through everything and detail and ceramic coat everything and then blast it with the zero TDS water with the pressure washer and its good to go most days.

The track car gets washed underside and engine each time I take it out could care less about the rest of it but I want to find every little leak before it becomes a bigger problem. I even paint engine bays white on racecars to find leaks easier. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/18/20 9:53 p.m.

My autocross miata lives under a cover, so it gets washed every time I drive it. It was ceramic coated and about as clean as most one year old cars when I bought it. 

My other cars have been clay barred and waxed, but not as frequently as needed. I do keep them washed, all done at home in the driveway. Two bucket method.

I spent most of an entire week buffing out my GMT 400 a couple of years ago. I really should have paid someone to do it, but it was really gratifying to do myself. 

My wife's Mazda 5 is usually left to her. I'll give it a hand wash occasionally so that she knows that I love her.

I've done nothing with my WRX since I bought it. I don't have a shaded location, so it's the wrong time of year for FL. After reading this, I might look into a professional detail. Also, I didn't know that clear wrapping was a thing.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/19/20 8:42 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Also, I didn't know that clear wrapping was a thing.

Don't worry, that service is also very good at clearing out your wallet.

I'll see myself out.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
6/19/20 10:24 a.m.

I did it professionally in college, I don't do it now unless my wife asks very sweetly. My truck gets run through the auto wash every week, the coupe when I actually look at it and my wife's van every month or so when I remember. Otherwise the kids vacuum them out and dust them but I don't think I've vacuumed the Mercedes since I bought it...in January of 2017.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TACwdXjPqyTqp6TRh7a1sL7vuDWDqPn77HzbCh3c4fLwt5xOwg2e8p62qaykDyNA