1 2 3
Opti
Opti Dork
4/7/21 7:25 a.m.

The old dodge leaks a little because Dodge has discontinued a hose, and its something that would take too much work for me to fabricate on a truck I dont care that much about. It never burned or leaked before even at over 300K miles.

The GMT400 is wet on the back of the engine, but the dipstick hasnt moved, so im not to worried. Ill probably to intake and valve cover gaskets in the near future.

The volt doesnt leak or use any

The bimmer has an oil pan leak, but it seems pretty slow and its getting sold.

My normal regimen is a new PCV valve, some MMO, Rotella T6, and beat the tar out of new to me cars. Never had a severe oil consumption issue, and have solved quite a few with that.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/7/21 7:31 a.m.

I had a 2010 Honda Odyssey  for which burning a quart every 4000 miles was a feature.   

I used to have it in writing from Honda that this was normal for engines and should be expected.

Strangely we previously owned a 2004 Honda Odyssey with 250,000 miles that never burned a drop of oil between changes.  It lacked that feature apparently.

I foolishly traded it in for the 2010 Odyssey.   No more Honda's for me.

Opti
Opti Dork
4/7/21 8:37 a.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

Is that one of the years they were replacing pistons and rings on one of the banks for oil consumption.

Powar (Forum Supporter)
Powar (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/7/21 8:42 a.m.

The only oil burners we have left are the FD and the Prius. The FD for obvious reasons, but the Prius pisses me off. I did one of the BG treatments before the last oil change and I've been driving the wheels off of it, so maybe it'll get better. If not, I'll just keep dumping oil in it because its a Prius.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/7/21 9:37 a.m.
jharry3 said:

I had a 2010 Honda Odyssey  for which burning a quart every 4000 miles was a feature.   

I used to have it in writing from Honda that this was normal for engines and should be expected.

Strangely we previously owned a 2004 Honda Odyssey with 250,000 miles that never burned a drop of oil between changes.  It lacked that feature apparently.

I foolishly traded it in for the 2010 Odyssey.   No more Honda's for me.

VCM? Some years were pretty bad for the oil issue, I think there was a recall or at least a TSB to fix it.

Toyman01 ( + Sized and...)
Toyman01 ( + Sized and...) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/21 10:30 a.m.

The G35 eats a quart every oil change. 

The Silverado was pissing it out of most of the gaskets when I got rid of it. 

The Honda that replaced it doesn't appear to leak or burn a drop.

The XJ, SanFord, the Samurai, and the Blunder Bus also don't use enough to worry about. Maybe a quart per oil change between the 4 of them.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
4/7/21 11:54 a.m.

Back in the day my G35 started out OK, but after a couple of years it was burning a quart every 300 miles.  No smoke, no leaking, just oil disappearing.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
4/7/21 1:53 p.m.

Our 7.3 F350 leaked enough that the front half of the frame was never going to rust out.  The hydraulic lines for the dump bed leaked enough that rear half of the frame was never going to rust out.  The rest of the truck found plenty of ways to fall apart.

The T-100 leaked some, but not enough to need any added in a 5,000 oil change interval.  It had a 3.0 V6 that was on its way out, but I really liked that truck.

The 2000 Camry smoked on start up for over 100,000 miles, but it cleared up right away and didn't burn enough between oil changes to matter.

The 2002 F-150 leaks from a few places, but unless it gets significantly worse, I'm not messing with it.  Odds are I'd just sell it.  I don't really like it so far.

The 1977 XS650 has not run since I bought it almost two years ago, but it has marked its territory in the garage.

My wife's 1997 Civic didn't leak at all until one day on the highway it developed an oil allergy and puked it all out.

Thinking about this makes electric vehicles even more enticing.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
4/7/21 2:01 p.m.

Don't pick on the Prius drivers. 

My 2.3 fox mustang drank 7 quarts in 4500 miles. Had a 2002 SL1 that would burn 1/1000miles. MX6 made good smoke but I didn't drive it long enough to check the burn rate. And the memorable 22r that only ran on 3. Couple quarts a month in that old truck. 

Those are the only ones that spring to mind. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/21 2:25 p.m.

03 GMC Truck with a 6.0 used more oil than gas until I fixed the rear main seal.  Now it is about a quart about every 3K

12 cls550 uses virtually no oil now but when I got it the dealer said it has just had a oil change.  It went through about a quart in 4K.  Ever since I did the oil change and have been running the Euro spec Mobile 1 oil it does not burn a drop and the oil looks about as clean at 4K as it does when I put it in (I change it every 4K).

07 Saab 93.  Uses maybe half a quart every 5K

03 Hummer H2  Same as my GMC but it only has 140K it uses about a quart every 3-4K

16 RAV 4 Uses no oil between changes

80's and early 90's Porsches would use about a quart every 2K and more when I was tracking them.

94 Mustang with a 3.8 used virtually no oil

ORIF (Forum Supporter)
ORIF (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/7/21 6:50 p.m.

In reply to aw614 :

I tracked it a fair amount the first few years. 

Faithful daily driver for over 2 decades. 

Not sure when it will finally bite the dust.

Feels like it's good to go for another 10 years at least.

Would like to get a Habu Miata when if and when it finally goes.

Since I replace 6 quarts every 4800 miles, I have always wondered if I only needed to keep changing filters.  : ) 

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
4/7/21 7:00 p.m.

My Dakota is the worst oil burner I've ever owned. Once hot, it visibility pumps oil out the exhaust.  Sitting at an intersection, incan see plumes. 

200k, but probably went 50k on an oil interval with the previous owner.   Bought for the body, knowing the engine is on last legs. I'll probably send it on down the road before throwing an engine at it though.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/7/21 7:04 p.m.

Non-oil burning Subaru's do not exist.   Someone is sneaking oil into it at night.  

I've owned close to 60 (I bought and sold them for years) and they all burned oil to some extent.  One sucked a quart every 2,000 miles.  No evidence of burning or carbon buildup on the back door either.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/7/21 7:04 p.m.
Brotus7 said:

My Dakota is the worst oil burner I've ever owned. Once hot, it visibility pumps oil out the exhaust.  Sitting at an intersection, incan see plumes. 

200k, but probably went 50k on an oil interval with the previous owner.   Bought for the body, knowing the engine is on last legs. I'll probably send it on down the road before throwing an engine at it though.

What engine?  I've seen that once (visible blue haze at idle, but no noticeable smoke while driving, burned a quart in ~300 miles) on a 360 with really bad valve guides.  Valve seals were intact, but the guides were so worn (noticeable play) that the seals couldn't seal.  New heads and it was fine, bottom end wasn't the issue. 

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
4/7/21 7:07 p.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

Sadly, it's a 4.7.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/7/21 7:16 p.m.

The Solara I brought to the 2019 Challenge was pushing 175k miles and was the 2.4 engine with a known issue of excessive oil burning after about 150k. It started burning alot after the challenge. I wound up throwing a bottom end rebuild at it after the challenge to make it saleable. My conscience would not let me sell it burning 2 quarts per tank of fuel.

The buyer was pretty happy to get a solid engine at the sale price.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/21 7:22 p.m.
fornetti14 said:

Non-oil burning Subaru's do not exist.   Someone is sneaking oil into it at night.  

I've owned close to 60 (I bought and sold them for years) and they all burned oil to some extent.  One sucked a quart every 2,000 miles.  No evidence of burning or carbon buildup on the back door either.

My EA82 lost no oil at 190k.  It WOULD fog in hard right corners because it did not have the PCV reroute done, but that was it.  Oil would still be at the full line at 3k.

Then I put Mobil 1 in it, and it heaved from every orifice thereafter. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/8/21 6:25 a.m.
Brotus7 said:

In reply to rslifkin :

Sadly, it's a 4.7.

I think those are prone to valve seal issues, so it might not be awful to fix if you ever care to try.  A few quarts of oil saved would probably pay for the seals and tools to swap them. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/8/21 7:49 a.m.

Currently, nothing I own burns enough to worry.  2000 Silverado 4.8, 2003 XC90 T6, 82 Camaro.

When I was a youth...  Best one was a 66 Olds Delta 88 with a 425.  Quart every 50 miles,and it would stop traffic on a four lane highway if you stood on it.  When I took it apart, I found all the valve seals blocking the oil drain back holes in the cylinder heads...That might have done the job.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oxqP9e3mgNAJzHNAhphyxnbgbVJiXkI1xEOA2p4ACLu5i5vXnlKETqsE6vctsQQa