1 2 3
glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/5/11 8:56 p.m.

OK, so poking through the classifieds and found #2071693 and it got me to thinking. I've always thought it would be whimsical to some day find a cheap Roller. I haven't even starting looking yet - is there a forum? A community of hands on resto-modders? What are the suspensions? How are they to work on? Parts interchange?

GRM wanna start a project car so that we can all learn?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/5/11 8:57 p.m.

Andy Reid owned a Bentley for a little while--think early '90s variety. It was probably the nicest $20,000 car out there.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/5/11 9:23 p.m.

I hope to one day own a Bentley. I have wanted a 91 Continental R for a while.

Or a Turbo R.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
1/5/11 9:34 p.m.

For a very long time, I've had a Rolls project running around in my head....

• '70s era Rolls

• Chevy V8 (old school 327, standard 350, LS1?)

• Six speed

• Wide, leather racing seats (in leather to match the rest of the interior)

• Suspension mods

• Everything else standard (paint, trim, wood dash, leather back seat)

Hmmmm.....

-Rob

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
1/5/11 9:38 p.m.

The most monstrous Big Block possible under the hood & tires that do not give away the secret !

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/5/11 9:38 p.m.

Turbo R for me please.

Here's some inspiration for you.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/5/11 9:51 p.m.

yep. I want an old ratty rolls with a twin turbo lsx under the hood.

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/5/11 10:16 p.m.

I would like to have one with an LS1 or BMW m60 under the hood. Nice suspension, but have it look pretty stock

glueguy wrote: OK, so poking through the classifieds and found #2071693 and it got me to thinking. I've always thought it would be whimsical to some day find a cheap Roller. I haven't even starting looking yet - is there a forum? A community of hands on resto-modders? What are the suspensions? How are they to work on? Parts interchange? GRM wanna start a project car so that we can all learn?
plance1
plance1 Dork
1/5/11 10:40 p.m.

Can't go wrong with McQueen's Rolls...

http://www.mcqueenonline.com/1967rollsroyce.htm

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/5/11 10:47 p.m.
bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
1/5/11 11:09 p.m.

Any idea if the S1 Bentley and Rolls cars are ridiculous to work on in a GRM fashion? I might have an opportunity to buy one from a family member some day. It's pretty cool to drive but a little difficult in traffic.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
1/5/11 11:14 p.m.

I'm seriously considering a late 80s early 90sTurbo R in the next 2-3 years.

This one looks nice: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-Bentley-Turbo-R-Black-Tan-57K-1-Kind-/310284217703?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item483e616d67

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/5/11 11:15 p.m.
bluesideup wrote: Any idea if the S1 Bentley and Rolls cars are ridiculous to work on in a GRM fashion? I might have an opportunity to buy one from a family member some day. It's pretty cool to drive but a little difficult in traffic.

Good question...

glueguy
1/5/11 11:32 p.m.
vazbmw wrote:
bluesideup wrote: Any idea if the S1 Bentley and Rolls cars are ridiculous to work on in a GRM fashion? I might have an opportunity to buy one from a family member some day. It's pretty cool to drive but a little difficult in traffic.
Good question...

I know, that's why I started this thread.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
1/5/11 11:35 p.m.

That's an S1 with a Hooper body. They were all a little different. I can't imagine it would be too strange but I've heard some weird stuff about the RR cars.

glueguy
1/5/11 11:42 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: i hate you guys....

And I hate you for finding that. Funny how he forgets to mention the little detail that it is right drive. That would be quite the shock to miss that in the picture and have it shipped to your door...

Actually, I have a 14 year old at home. Evil fantasy thoughts about the bonding sessions to revive this one over two years, to have him take a RHD car down to the DMV for his road test

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/6/11 12:06 a.m.

Those late 60's Rolls are really pretty. If I had my druthers, I'd want one on airbags, deep-dish 20's with an LSx or Ford crate motor in there. A low, luxurious cruiser--I'd be so pimp.

Of course, a Lincoln Mark IV w/ this same treatment has been in the dream garage for ages now--although that one would be completely blacked-out.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/11 1:18 a.m.

I've wanted to build a mid 70's Rolls Royce for a long time. I'd drop in an LSx and keep the body stock.

But mine would absolutely have to have a set of Cragar's.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
1/6/11 1:32 a.m.
glueguy wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote: i hate you guys....
And I hate you for finding that. Funny how he forgets to mention the little detail that it is right drive. That would be quite the shock to miss that in the picture and have it shipped to your door... Actually, I have a 14 year old at home. Evil fantasy thoughts about the bonding sessions to revive this one over two years, to have him take a RHD car down to the DMV for his road test

If ever there was a candidate for an LSX swap...

Or, keep the high stance and go for a Rolls' gasser.

Artist's impression

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/11 1:41 a.m.

Needs more Cragar.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
1/6/11 1:50 a.m.

And that's about the extent of my MS Paint skillz.

Yes, it is driving by itself.

Raze
Raze Dork
1/6/11 6:26 a.m.

damn, now everyone knows about my super secret project plans...

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar HalfDork
1/6/11 7:07 a.m.

Cannonball Rolls

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/6/11 8:06 a.m.

$12k.

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/2116593938.html

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
1/6/11 8:07 a.m.

I'd love a ratty 70s Rolls but they never seems to be one available at a decent price. This Bentley Mk VI is for sale semi-locally. Not sure on the price but its probably too high given the rough condition as its been for sale for four years. Would be a really neat resto rod. Stock-ish look, flat black and maybe a modern-ish straight six (like a Jeep 4.0L HO) under the hood.

Bentley Mk VI

Bentley Mk VI

Bentley Mk VI Interior

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H15mt00slwPlIcQOZknoi47WjI7LlKrMOjOUTCQbRYQ4QNS2EpUrORysR5fDtucR