JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/13/22 11:13 a.m.

The other day, a few of us on staff trekked over to the Florida International Rally & Motorsport Park in Keystone Heights, Florida, to do a little testing of some project cars. As our official test track, The FIRM is a massive resource that allows us to run a consistent strip of asphalt as we develop projects or simply test …

Read the rest of the story

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/13/22 7:59 p.m.

Looks absolutely gorgeous in pics. I love EVs but a 911 is still a must have for me before it's all over. Just awesome.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/15/22 3:47 p.m.

“The only way to improve this car is to ruin it,"

Nice turn of phrase. I still can't get past the reliability issues of the m96, but articles like this make it seem pretty tempting.

DaleCarter
DaleCarter GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/29/22 4:00 p.m.

Yes. :-)

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/29/22 4:51 p.m.

Absolutely, and that applies whether it's appearance or performance modifications.

MauryH
MauryH GRM+ Member
8/29/22 7:18 p.m.

Always amazed me that folks pay the big bucks for Porsche engineering...and then use their own ideas to try to improve it.  JG got it right IMHO...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/29/22 9:23 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

“The only way to improve this car is to ruin it,"

Nice turn of phrase. I still can't get past the reliability issues of the m96, but articles like this make it seem pretty tempting.

Reliability issues? Sounds like a potential area for improvement to me 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/30/22 10:07 a.m.

In reply to MauryH :

The nice thing about Porsche is you can go into their parts catalog and improve your car with their stuff.  So you know it's gonna fit and work properly.  That's what I've done, the brakes, intercoolers and some of the suspension parts are OEM Porsche. 

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
8/30/22 6:59 p.m.

One needs to work out a whole lot of dumb hot-rodding compulsions to be able to truly appreciate good engineering.

The first time I saw a C7 Corvette at an autocross showed me an incredibly limber and compliant car that never lost grip.  Twenty year-old me would have seen a sloshy boat that seriously needed stiff shocks and fat sway bars . . .

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/30/22 7:22 p.m.
MauryH said:

Always amazed me that folks pay the big bucks for Porsche engineering...and then use their own ideas to try to improve it.  JG got it right IMHO...

The thing I've learned from owning a few porsches and watching other people modify them is that porsche is really good at optimizing the car for the stock parts. Put coilovers on a miata and it's basically world changing. Put coilovers on a cayman and maybe it's a bit more fun to drive and easier on tires, but the actual performance potential is pretty much unchanged. They do generally benefit from a bit more rear swaybar to dial out the factory engineered safety understeer, but there's a couple of choices of OEM parts that take care of that. Even in the factory engineered upgraded cars (ie the GT car range) the performance potential in an autocross setting where you can't really make use of the extra power is almost nothing. Actually a lot of people would probably be faster in the non-GT car because, while a touch slower, they're much more approachable and forgiving to drive.

Our Preferred Partners
bPpwOovZHD8RyiwPNVzF4RflBmKDrxzzmQK707Rvm82wdAVIsyhLrkRNekU0lAjI