1 2 3
Dead-Sled (ha!)
Dead-Sled (ha!) SuperDork
7/15/22 7:58 p.m.

Alright, it is beautiful, I won't deny. But if I had to pick on it, it looks like a kit car modeled after a Delorean with new Camaro headlights and tail lights. Other than those, I DO like it. And it would be on my radar (fat chance since if they actually made it the price would surge to levels us mortals can't afford) 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/15/22 10:18 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

Only boring ugly 4 door things get built these days because "thats what sells"

We perceive things very differently.  I won't go into looks, because that's subjective, but objectively, has there ever been a time with more fast, good handling vehicles? Sadly, many of them are SUVs and rich people's cars, but IMO if you can't find a fun new car, you aren't looking very hard. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
7/16/22 1:14 a.m.

I love it! Best looking new car I have seen in two decades.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/16/22 7:02 a.m.

This I like.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/22 11:50 a.m.

I think I could take a modern day Camaro and make one of those for real. Mix and match after market body kits and you could get real close. 

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
7/16/22 7:46 p.m.

Regulatory impossibility of that front bumper aside (but trucks that'll bend you in half are fine) I love the look. I don't love the wheels but the whole aesthetic is a winner. If it only had a rumbly V8 I'd really go for it, in whatever alternate reality where they put it to production.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/16/22 9:21 p.m.

All the hyper cars look like the same bar of soap, I am definitely a Hyundai fanboi with this design. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/16/22 10:38 p.m.

Am I the only one seeing an updated IMSA Chevy Monza widebody in this?

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
7/16/22 10:47 p.m.

When I saw the side view, the first thing that popped into my mind was Audi's awesome rally car

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
7/17/22 11:55 a.m.

Pedestrian deaths have been steadily increasing with the proliferation of trucks and SUV's, so I would hesitate to say that it's inherently less safe. With a truck impact, it'll more likely knock you down onto the street where you're at risk of getting run over. With a car impact you're more likely to get your legs taken out from under you and land on the hood, which can have some impact softening features built in.  The car does look amazing.

Erich
Erich UberDork
7/17/22 12:21 p.m.

In reply to RX8driver :

Yeah agreed. The problem is the euro pedestrian safety laws are pretty strict on vehicle design for cars, so if you want to sell a car in other markets you have to abide by those.

American laws on pedestrian safety vehicle design are nonexistent, so we get giant truck front ends here. 

Edit: i love this Hyundai design. It's fantastic. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/22 1:31 p.m.

"I am listening intently."

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/22 1:34 p.m.
kb58 said:

When I saw the side view, the first thing that popped into my mind was Audi's awesome rally car

IIRC, italdesign did the Audi 80 that begat the quattro that begat the Sport Quattro.

BarryNorman
BarryNorman Reader
7/17/22 2:39 p.m.

In reply to Dead-Sled (ha!) :

One could also see a stretched Lancia Delta to give it an ae86 profile. And the rear three-quarters view is reminiscent of a Celica or DB8. Not bad influences.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/17/22 3:03 p.m.

I didn't know the Italdesign history. I was thinking it looks like a cross between a DeLorean and Audi Sport Quattro. Now I see why what makes sense!

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/18/22 8:12 a.m.

Im still waiting for someone to paint an Ioniq 5 in the Martini colors with the Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 2 style rear wing and white Speedline wheels.

Hyundai is killing it. Now they need to send us the I20N, I30N and the RM19.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
7/19/22 3:22 a.m.

This is juuust about as boy-racer as a car could get that I'd still totally dailydrive...

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
7/19/22 8:41 a.m.

Yep, I dig it. I do feel like the GRM demo also probably is exactly who this is aimed at. Enthusiasts of an age that look back lovingly at cars of the 80s/90s, box flare all the things!

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/8/22 4:50 p.m.
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
9/8/22 4:57 p.m.

Sorta Related: I got to sample an Ioniq 5 last night. It's an interesting vehicle. Outside, it looks like a 1.5 scale Lancia Delta Intergale Evo. Inside, it looks like something straight out of Star Trek with screens everywhere, tons of glass, and cool accent lighting. Tons of space and pretty comfortable; the packaging is great. And performance-wise, it's no slouch. The car has a bit of oversteer dialed in, and maneuvers are quick and direct. Even though it's AWD, it wants to hang the rear out! The braking is insane as well. And that's the regular, pedestrian version. It will be interesting to see what a N version of these does. 

And I still want a production N Vision 74. 

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

That just made my interest and desire even worse. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/8/22 5:57 p.m.

FWIW, I went to a Hyundai media event yesterday. (Yes, got to drive the Ioniq 5.) A few Hyundai people noted that their CEO is big on taking chances. 

Also, we learned about the Hyundai plane. (Okay, the Supranal.)

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/8/22 6:44 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

That just made my interest and desire even worse. 

This.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/23 12:00 p.m.
Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/23 1:11 p.m.

Please, please, please

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2dOfgAUOQuQIjQZ5OdDG12fhU2AlFAO4lSdLatJzDw17IAQpsvXRaKtwMlN67ana