boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
8/18/18 3:32 p.m.

Over the past few weeks I noticed that the lights on my trailer had been going out, one by one. First the right front corner light went dark. Then the left rear taillight started flickering before it went out completely. I thought it was weird because just a few months ago I had rewired and re-lit the trailer with one of those (admittedly cheap) LED trailer light kits off of Amazon.

After cleaning the grounds for the 3rd time and replacing the lights without success, I started cutting into the wiring. That's when I found all of this corrosion hiding under the insulation:

What's scary is that segment is from the MIDDLE of an unbroken 7' run of wire with no splices, connectors, or anything in the vicinity. When I bent it back to see what was going on, all of the corrosion fell out of the insulation and revealed that there was NO WIRE left inside the sheathing:

Regardless of how cheap the wire must have been, I was shocked that corrosion could spread that quickly down such a long run of wire. That was until I took a look at the extra bundle of trailer wire that I had from a second kit that I had in my garage and noticed that there is a noticeable air gap between the insulation and the wiring:

It turns out that moisture had gotten in from a damaged connector and spread through this gap between the wire and the insulation. Within a few months it got so bad that there was literally no copper wire left. Strangely, the wires coming out of the lights themselves were of a different variety (and gauge) that thankfully showed no signs of corrosion.

So now my trailer has been re-wired with automotive speaker wire from my electrical kit. All of the colors are wrong now but at least I won't have to worry about this nonsense ever again. My advice is that if you ever get one of those light kits, check the wire bundle and make sure it isn't the same cheap crap that I bought. And if it is, don't use it.

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/18/18 7:21 p.m.

I've had exactly the same experience with a wiring set that looked just like that.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely HalfDork
8/23/18 12:51 p.m.

water will wick into any braided wire. I use di-electric grease in all connectors to prevent this from happening.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/23/18 12:54 p.m.

It was just part of annual maintenance in our boat trailer. New wiring, fresh grease in the bearings, swap the spare tire into the axle every spring before fishing season opened. I didn't realize it didn't have to be that way. 

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/23/18 1:44 p.m.

Dip the wire end in some vaseline before you crimp the connector on.

Or use double-wall heat shrink and un-insulated connectors.

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
8/24/18 8:24 a.m.
Trans_Maro said:

Dip the wire end in some vaseline before you crimp the connector on.

It's funny you mention that, because that's exactly what I did when I installed the wiring. Maybe that's why the ends near the connectors still looked ok despite the fact that this was going on 3' into the run.

I guess what surprised me with this whole experience was that I'm used to wires corroding and disintegrating from the ends. So in a pinch I could lop off a section of wire, solder the remaining wire back on and keep on trucking. This is the first time I've ever had a situation where the wire corroded out from the middle of an unbroken piece of wire.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2imYNUo2KpY3ZLbgNyUBw9YayZRdpmtCbSDn91eqYv9vcKCYt5yjN6b1aAaIA69Z