1 2
ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
10/31/12 11:21 a.m.

I'd like to get a drill press, mostly for metal fab projects around the shop. Drilling stuff up to 1/4" mild steel, which is as far as I can go with my wire welder. I'd like to buy used, but I see a wide range of stuff available.

Is benchtop a waste? Should I hold out for an upright?

What brands / models should i avoid? What brands/ models should I want? What features are a plus?

I sort of have this vision of an old 50-60s industrial upright, but that may not be realistic.

Oh, and I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/31/12 11:24 a.m.

Just spend the coin for a mill/drill machine? Then you get two machines for the price of one.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/12 11:24 a.m.

I have a sixty year old bench top Dunlop that my grandfather bought new and I use it more than any other power tool that I own. I'd never part with it, but if I ever bought another, I'd buy an upright with rack and pinion height adjustment.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/31/12 11:31 a.m.

Other than trolling CL, I would suggest trying a professional tool supplier. They may have trade-ins, and they will explain the differences between the various brands. When I lived in Tampa and was doing a lot of metal work, I would go to one on Adamo Drive that had at least 10 different units on the floor, and a few recycled ones in the back.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
10/31/12 11:43 a.m.

Most of the posters on Garage Journal would tell you to buy an old one off Craigslist and fix it up if it needs it. The old Rockwells were good.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/31/12 11:56 a.m.

A quickie scan in your area brought up some good ones. All 110 power. Even though you know you're going to do 1/4 inch work, get a 1/2 inch chuck anyway. You can always make a 1/2" chuck spin a 1/4" drill, but not versa visa.

Dan

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/tls/3319302110.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/tls/3362695284.html

http://macon.craigslist.org/tls/3353277689.html

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
10/31/12 12:13 p.m.

I have a 1977 Eagle 5/8 chuck bench model I bought off of craigslist cheap. This is a pretty nice drill press and has 12 speeds, although I've never moved any of the belts. I recently saw a rockwell for 100$ and those look like nice drills, but my old eagle works good enough for me.

I'd just troll craigslist until I found something I like.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
10/31/12 12:35 p.m.

914- I've actually got emails out on those last two. I'm in macon so the tabletop would be local, but that green one looks cool. Hopefully they'll get me some more details on the upright, like does it work?

Jack
Jack SuperDork
10/31/12 2:26 p.m.

Glad no one recommeded the one from HF. I snagged one at a garage sale for $5 and I'm not sure it's worth that much. Hugely underpowered.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/31/12 2:30 p.m.
Jack wrote: Glad no one recommeded the one from HF. I snagged one at a garage sale for $5 and I'm not sure it's worth that much. Hugely underpowered.

I got the Chicago power tool HF benchtop unit for my b-day from the FIL...its not terrible, but I cant adjust the play out of the spindle to save my life - anyone got a link to a general how to for this?

I will eventually upgrade to a floor unit when I have the space. For now though, its surprisingly tolerable.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
10/31/12 3:11 p.m.

Just 'cause you can only MIG 1/4" plate now doesn't mean you should limit yourself.

Remember - a drill twisting in mild steel plate doesn't care how thick it is.

A drill press trying to twist a drill does care how big the drill is, the speed and feed rate. You can adjust the speed super slow, but (for example) in stainless you'll need more feed pressure to keep it cutting rather than burnishing the work, than a lightweight Chinese made press can provide.

I have a 1 hp Craftsman 15" floor type, and it's working hard to go 3/4" in mild steel at a proper tool speed.

So, bigger is better.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
10/31/12 3:13 p.m.

In reply to benzbaronDaryn:

If you've never changed the speed, you must only have one drill bit and one kind of material.

Drill type, speed, feed and lubricant vary widely for different applications.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
10/31/12 3:37 p.m.

Thanks for the info Motomoron, I'll look into getting a better set of drive belts and I still need a chuck key. I guess I should get a drill speed table and tape it to the drill press.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/31/12 4:44 p.m.

I have a Delta 1/2" benchtop which has been great, it looks almost exactly like the top one in Dan's pictures. I have drilled or holesawed stuff thicker than 1/4" with no problems. I've never used it on stainless, though.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/31/12 5:40 p.m.

those $50 dollar bench top ones are kinda bunk. Get something nice. (Not HF, Clark, etc...)

jimbbski
jimbbski Reader
10/31/12 6:30 p.m.

Ge a floor model if you can. A bench top IMO takes up more space that a floor model. I need my bench top space for projects not to store my drill press!

I have a 20 year old Craftman 15 inch model, 5/8 chuck, 12 speeds, with a work table that tilts and rotates in two planes. I have used it to notch tubing for roll cages as well as all my drilling work that I can't fit on my lathe.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
10/31/12 6:30 p.m.

Ditto, I also have a Delta bench top that I got on Amazon. Love it. Its not the most powerful tool out there, but you gotta be reasonable with your expectations.

Ian_F
Ian_F Reader
11/1/12 7:23 a.m.
914Driver wrote: A quickie scan in your area brought up some good ones. All 110 power. Even though you know you're going to do 1/4 inch work, get a 1/2 inch chuck anyway. You can always make a 1/2" chuck spin a 1/4" drill, but not versa visa. Dan http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/tls/3319302110.html

I have this exact drill press. It works fine for most of the projects I do. The most annoying thing is the chuck likes to pop off the spindle if the bit jams in the work piece, which can be rather disconcerting. I paid full retail for mine at Sears years ago and wouldn't do it again, but for $60 you could do worse. Plus, it could work well as a secondary press a bunch of widgets and need multiple drilling operations.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/1/12 7:35 a.m.

I have a HFish table top drill press I bought used for something like $20. The table top doesn't bother me, but the thing is so sloppy. Next time I will buy a real drill press....

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/1/12 7:37 a.m.
benzbaronDaryn wrote: Thanks for the info Motomoron, I'll look into getting a better set of drive belts and I still need a chuck key. I guess I should get a drill speed table and tape it to the drill press.

Here's a quickie reference.

http://its.fvtc.edu/machshop1/drillpress/cutspeeds.htm#Top

If you have a computer in your garage:

http://www.custompartnet.com/calculator/drilling-speed-and-feed

Ball Park, off the top of your head reckoning: Assume a Brinell hardness of 190-220, the cutting speed = 50 - 70.

Cutting Speed X 4 divided by the drill diameter.

Dan

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
11/1/12 2:27 p.m.

What do you guys think of this? with a little research I found that it's a 1950s Paramount Woodworker, a combination drill press, horizontal drill, lathe, tablesaw, and disk sander. Do you think the drill is decent for basic metalworking? I can't find any reference on motor size, but it appears to be 5 speeds and have a 1/2" chuck. The guy has some of the accessories, but I don't think he knows what it really is. He's asking low money, but I haven't heard back to know if he still has it.

User manual:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1624/2644.pdf

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
11/1/12 4:55 p.m.

okay, so the guy still has the Paramount pictured above. And he said he'd take half what he's advertised just to get rid of it. We're talking less than the HF bench model when it's on sale.

....of course he's 100 miles from me, but I think I'm still money ahead. And it's just so cool.....

He's going to check for a motor rating and see if he can tell what size chuck it has...

Anybody know why this wouldn't be a good idea?

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/1/12 5:47 p.m.

I would say it won't do any of those things well, and has not done for 60 years. An exercise in frustration.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
11/1/12 6:26 p.m.

I have an early 1950s Craftsman model 150 press.

They sold these things for about 20 years, so they aren't too hard to find. Figure on paying anywhere from $50 to $150, depending on condition and how good a deal you can work with the seller. It's very well built and drills accurately. Mine is a bench model but they also made floor standing models; I built the stand and it works just as well.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
11/2/12 5:21 a.m.

Lol, Martin , you're probably right, but I don't really do woodworking anyway. As long as it works as a drill press, the rest is kind of incidental.

It's got a 1/2" chuck, and a GE 1/2 horse motor. And the guy is asking so little for it I almost can't pass it up. I'd pay what he's asking just to have the base as a table.

Road trip!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LLsf4oyhyAVPSYe3RYkcmCSrv1zFTQ2ctD0jmbhNz3Om5be5XbIscGeVJ07QGOVj