TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
9/18/18 7:26 a.m.

Are you using driving gloves, and what do you recommend?

Thinking about what I can do to be quicker around the cones, (besides losing a significant amount of weight, being smarter, or other things that probably aren't going to happen) and one of the things I realized is that I'm putting way too much effort into getting a firm grip on my steering wheel. I also should probably change steering wheels (mine is kind of slippery), but for the time being I'd like to try some good grippy gloves. Any recommendations?

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
9/18/18 7:28 a.m.

I recommend some that fit tight, like a second skin.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
9/18/18 7:32 a.m.

I'm currently using Racequip gloves and have been happy with the fit and feel on a suede wheel.  Price is right at $40.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/18 7:52 a.m.

Try cleaning your steering wheel with a little dish soap first. I prefer to drive without gloves wherever rules permit.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
9/18/18 8:14 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

What would cleaning it with dish soap do? If anything I'd imagine it would make it more slippery.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/18 8:18 a.m.

I use Racequip 350.  They are affordable because they are Nomex but do not carry an SFI rating.  For autocrossing, I am usually applying sunscreen or changing tires or eating a chili-dog or some other activity that causes my hands to be sweaty and greasy.  Having a pair of gloves means that I always have a good grip on the wheel.  Plus, it is part of my routine to get psyched up for a run.  Don helmet, slip on gloves, FOCUS on the run.  I highly recommend them.  

EDT
EDT New Reader
9/18/18 8:20 a.m.

I find that unless you have a suede wheel (and even if you do), make sure to get a glove with a lot of silicone on the fingers and palms. It really makes a difference in how tight you have to grip the wheel. 

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/18/18 8:33 a.m.

I'd prefer to go gloveless for auto-x to get as much feedback as possible.  Are you missing power steering?

I find if I'm belted in tightly, I don't have to manhandle the wheel as much.  So I'd say look at your belt / harness situation before the gloves. 

dclafleur
dclafleur New Reader
9/18/18 8:33 a.m.

I use the G-Force RaceGrip gloves, they grip great and I don't find myself trying to crush my steering wheel the whole time.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/18/18 8:46 a.m.

I use batting gloves. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/18 9:19 a.m.
TheRX7Project said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

What would cleaning it with dish soap do? If anything I'd imagine it would make it more slippery.

Nope, it will degrease the steering wheel. At some point it's probably had armor-all put on it, this is good for protecting it from sun wear but it lubes up the steering wheel like a marital aid. So you spray some water on the steering wheel, get a damp paper towel with a drop or two of dish soap, soap it up good, then spray on more water and rinse until it isn't soapy at all any more, and finally dry it. The wheel should be grippy after that.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/18/18 9:32 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
TheRX7Project said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Nope, it will degrease the steering wheel. At some point it's probably had armor-all put on it, this is good for protecting it from sun wear but it lubes up the steering wheel like a marital aid. So you spray some water on the steering wheel, get a damp paper towel with a drop or two of dish soap, soap it up good, then spray on more water and rinse until it isn't soapy at all any more, and finally dry it. The wheel should be grippy after that.

That's a good idea. I find my steering wheels on autox cars get junky fast just from all the cone dirt that gets on my hands during an autox day.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/18/18 9:36 a.m.

Gloves SUCK!

All they do is add a layer of relative movement between your hands and the wheel.  You will probably need to grip the wheel even HARDER.

I have tried several high end gloves for racing.  There are some that are better than others, but in the end they are just there to protect your hands from fire.  Gloves are not meant to make gripping the wheel easier.

If I could get away without wearing gloves anytime I am on track, I would.  

That being said, to answer your overall question...  Start practicing pulling down on the wheel instead of pushing the wheel.  For example, use your right hand to pull the wheel down to make a right turn.  This uses the small more tactile muscles and will make you faster versus using your shoulders and biceps to "push" the wheel over the top.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
9/18/18 11:38 a.m.

In reply to Tyler H :

I am belted in very tightly (mostly because I'm a big guy in a small car) and I barely move at all during my runs (check them out on my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq-jIVFk6n_DLdzcuP2TK1w ). No power steering and a smaller than stock steering wheel, plus 2.5" wider than stock tires, even on the street I find myself manhandling the wheel quite a bit. My forearms actually get sore after my 6th or so run.

I will try washing the wheel... now that I think about it, I am guilty of Armor-Alling the wheel when I gave the car a good cleaning this spring. Never really thought that would make a huge difference.

I appreciate the replies and ideas.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/18/18 1:05 p.m.

I think you're on the right track (no pun intended) with washing the wheel.  I too dislike the lack of feel from wearing gloves and might be tempted to race without them if they weren't required safety equipment in all the sanctioning bodies I race in.

I'm a road racer who's never autocrossed so I may be way off here but after looking at your videos I think you might have less muscle fatigue and get better feedback if you tried to share the steering effort with both hands particularly in mid corner.  It looks like you're essentially driving one handed most of the time.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/18/18 3:26 p.m.

I don't use gloves for autocross/rallycross, but for track/stage rally I like mid-range Alpinestars gloves. They always fit snugly and have very grippy grips.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/18/18 6:20 p.m.

I found that mechanics gloves work very well.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/18/18 7:27 p.m.

I have some SFI-Rated Ultra Shield gloves from Race Day Safety that are good, and inexpensive, but my favorites are old US military pilot gloves, Nomex with leather contact surfaces that are unbelievably grippy on a smooth leather steering wheel.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
9/18/18 8:30 p.m.

I've only used my Crow gloves driving in anger and I actually like driving in gloves more than bare-handed, but I can't explain why. No matter what the steering wheel texture they work pretty great. An important thing to me is that they fit really tight, like a second leather skin.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
9/19/18 7:57 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

I appreciate the input. I will definitely pay more attention to using both hands.

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
9/21/18 1:38 p.m.

I have used the Racequip 350s and 351s.  I like the 351's better.  One of my cars has full-on manual steering.  As in, no gloves means blisters by the end of the weekend.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
9/21/18 4:05 p.m.

Another vote for batting gloves here. They are super thin and def give more grip on the wheel. The mesh back keeps them from being too sweaty and they are cheap. Not a solution for actual racing, sure, but very good for autocross. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/21/18 5:25 p.m.
irish44j said:

I don't use gloves for autocross/rallycross, but for track/stage rally I like mid-range Alpinestars gloves. They always fit snugly and have very grippy grips.

Likewise. I found a crazy sale on a pair. They fit great and have held up well. Exponentially better than the cheaper junk without being exponentially more expensive.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iBaYIxz8Y27JGLQMgJ6Iv44jcb7ex6zfIy2bCt77AIR0ljmrbu8kUDOTzaNOYTxg