1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
6/10/10 8:12 p.m.

I'll be honest and just say, I was wrong about my 350Z. Only having one car and no room is starting to get to me. Thankfully I paid a good price for a low mileage example, and should have no problem getting my money back out of it plus some.

So, have to say turn-in was sharper with Speed3 feels quicker stoplight-to-stoplight because of the way turbo spools up. Almost hits a bit hard, but d@mn enjoyable. Brakes felt great, seemed to transition well, but I didn't get to push it TOO hard, but they did have a nice little 6-7 mile test drive setup.

Could do a 0-60-0 run, nice winding road in an industrial park (purposely tested the DSC by braking hard in one the switchbacks, kept the car right in line.

Seems to ride better than the 350 even though its on 40 series vs 45 series 18s. Back seats fold down flat and makes the hatch quite cavernous. Overall I'm pretty impressed with it. Going to go drive a new WRX and an '06-07 WRX and possibly a first gen Speed3 as well.

Anyone looking for a 2006 Pikes Peak White 350Z Touring (leather and bose), with recent maintence to all synthetic fluids, coolant and ATE brake fluid flush? Only 25k miles........

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
6/10/10 8:25 p.m.

yeah, the DSC system on those is downright telepathic. it literally senses when you're about to do something ham-fisted and reacts before you can even complete your ham-fisted-ness.

i loved the killer turbo power and kickass brakes on my 07. right foot was the solution to any highway problem. on top of that, i had the cobb intake and accessport, cp-e downpipe and a couple other things like motor mount inserts and rear sway, and the thing made enough power to overpower the clutch, and do 150+ mph.

SVTF
SVTF New Reader
6/10/10 8:30 p.m.

I'm looking for a 350Z , but I need one closer to $10k, like a 2003. Or I'll gladly take a MS3 for $10k also!!!!

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
6/10/10 8:33 p.m.
SVTF wrote: I'm looking for a 350Z , but I need one closer to $10k, like a 2003. Or I'll gladly take a MS3 for $10k also!!!!

uhhh, when i traded my 07 ms3 with 40ish k miles i got 13,3 in trade, so 10k for an ms3 with high miles is not outside the realm of possibility

EDIT: watch out for turbos, mine had a E36 M3ton of play when i installed the downpipe, but didnt' smoke yet, even when i traded it in. i ultimately decided to trade it in because it would have needed in the next 12-18 months a: new/rebuilt turbo, new tires, new brakes (oems were squealing like pigs at that point), and a new clutch since the stock one had started slipping under full power with the mods. also, the thing was a rocketship, and would have killed me if i kept it too much longer.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
6/10/10 8:35 p.m.

A $10k 350Z is going to be USED up. The one I have has been so babied, I believe its still on the original set of RE040s with plenty of life left.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
6/11/10 7:08 a.m.

Piggy backing off the other thread in OT, I know the new car has basically the same drivetrain as the previous Speed3s.

How has the longevitiy been? I know they haven't been out too long, but if I'm considering buying new, I want the car to go AT least 125k miles, turbo's scare me on that bit.

Are "Turbo timers" still a good idea on modern cars?

How about the new WRX?

pete240z
pete240z Dork
6/11/10 7:21 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: A $10k 350Z is going to be USED up. The one I have has been so babied, I believe its still on the original set of RE040s with plenty of life left.

I have been watching the 2003 350Z's and once in a while a $10,000 one shows up. A decent shaped one is in the $12-$15,000 range.

But they are dropping since the 370Z is on the market.

SVTF
SVTF New Reader
6/11/10 7:27 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: A $10k 350Z is going to be USED up.

Pretty much, you're right - the M3s I've been looking at are even worse. The decent 350Zs here (30-50k miles) gofer $13k-$16k. Seems to me a decent price relative to other comparable cars, but I just don't have >>$10k to spend. I'm having a really hard time convincing myself to pay $15k+ for a car that will be worth $5k in a few years (I can build a nice race car for that difference!).....or $10k for a car with 100k miles.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
6/11/10 7:54 a.m.

SVTF, sounds like you need an RX-8.

plus you won't run into the inevitable "i'm tired of not having any passenger or cargo room" issue.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
6/11/10 8:09 a.m.

I've tried to like them, I really have, I just can't. I rode in my bosses at work, cool car just doesn't do it for me.

An engine that makes 232hp and drinks premium like it's going out of style just doesn't appeal to me.

I'm more concerned with modern turbo cars longevity since basically all the cars I'm considering are all Turbo cars.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
6/11/10 8:16 a.m.

With you looking for 125k miles, i wouldn't be concerned in the slightest.

A turbo timer is never a bad thing, but with today's modern water and oil cooled turbos, meh. Just remember not to boost the hell out of it for the last minute or so of your trip, and it'll be fine.

klipless
klipless Reader
6/11/10 8:17 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: I rode in my bosses at work,

rode in != drove one

I could wax poetically about the man/machine involvement, but everyone knows that already. Take one for a thorough test drive, and see if you change your mind. You may, then again, you may not.

All cars have compromises. You'll be happiest in the one that has those compromises in the areas that don't bother you.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
6/11/10 8:34 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: With you looking for 125k miles, i wouldn't be concerned in the slightest. A turbo timer is never a bad thing, but with today's modern water and oil cooled turbos, meh. Just remember not to boost the hell out of it for the last minute or so of your trip, and it'll be fine.

I was just concerned after reading Strizzo's post earlier. But I'm assuming the wear on the turbo also directly correlates to his power level and using the car.

I'm not a big fan of the stupid smilie face girl or black/red "accents" on the seats/interior, but the way the boost comes in is just addictive.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
6/11/10 8:45 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: With you looking for 125k miles, i wouldn't be concerned in the slightest. A turbo timer is never a bad thing, but with today's modern water and oil cooled turbos, meh. Just remember not to boost the hell out of it for the last minute or so of your trip, and it'll be fine.
I was just concerned after reading Strizzo's post earlier. But I'm assuming the wear on the turbo also directly correlates to his power level and using the car. I'm not a big fan of the stupid smilie face girl or black/red "accents" on the seats/interior, but the way the boost comes in is just addictive.

The turbo may not last 125k miles, but that's hardly unexpected, to be honest. But think of it this way: It's an oppurtunity to upgrade, or by that point, there will be a huge amount of people selling their stock ones for cheap because they upgraded.

In the grand scheme of things, if you have to spend money on a new turbo once in 125k miles, is it REALLY that big a deal?

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/11/10 8:57 a.m.

40k on my MS3. It doesn't smoke at idle. Still runs like the day I bought it. I get roughly 25 - 30 mpg depending on how many Highway miles are on that tank.

I haven't modded mine BUT for a cold air intake. Most of the guys I hear about having turbo trouble have upped the boost and/or installed a downpipe.

My bet, aka hope, is that without modding the car I can keep the original turbo on it for quite a few miles. I'm happy with it's power. It's my DD and I don't highly modify my DD's. They're for transporting my family and getting back and forth to work. Dependability is the main priority for that car.

I am very happy with my MS3.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
6/11/10 9:04 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: The turbo may not last 125k miles, but that's hardly unexpected, to be honest. But think of it this way: It's an oppurtunity to upgrade, or by that point, there will be a huge amount of people selling their stock ones for cheap because they upgraded. In the grand scheme of things, if you have to spend money on a new turbo once in 125k miles, is it REALLY that big a deal?

90-100k seems acceptable for a turbo (stock boost and well maintained, 40-50k does not.

But I have to admit, I WAY over maintain my cars and try not to beat on them too much.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
6/11/10 9:05 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: I've tried to like them, I really have, I just can't. I rode in my bosses at work, cool car just doesn't do it for me. An engine that makes 232hp and drinks premium like it's going out of style just doesn't appeal to me. I'm more concerned with modern turbo cars longevity since basically all the cars I'm considering are all Turbo cars.

sorry...i was responding to SVTF, who seems to be considering trying to find a $10k 350Z. $10k RX-8s are not hard to find in good condition, and unlike a Z, are practical enough to use as "only" cars.

but..."rode in one" != "drove one like i stole it" they are certainly not a car for the masses.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
6/11/10 9:20 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: The turbo may not last 125k miles, but that's hardly unexpected, to be honest. But think of it this way: It's an oppurtunity to upgrade, or by that point, there will be a huge amount of people selling their stock ones for cheap because they upgraded. In the grand scheme of things, if you have to spend money on a new turbo once in 125k miles, is it REALLY that big a deal?
90-100k seems acceptable for a turbo (stock boost and well maintained, 40-50k does not. But I have to admit, I WAY over maintain my cars and try not to beat on them too much.

I highly doubt it would fail in 40-50k miles on stock boost and well maintained. These ain't B5 Audi S4s.

twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos New Reader
6/11/10 9:31 a.m.

Can't speak for the longevity of the MS3 precisely, but I have a 2004 Mazda 3 with 142k on it and it is still very tight and drives like new. I love the space of the hatchback and overall I love the car. If it was rear wheel drive I'd love it even more.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
6/11/10 9:36 a.m.

Were you eaten by it's front grille?

Seriously, the regular 3 is an awesome car, can't imagine how sweet it is with an extra 100 horsepower and host of other upgrades.

Hopsonn
Hopsonn New Reader
6/11/10 12:59 p.m.
twolittlebroncos wrote: Can't speak for the longevity of the MS3 precisely, but I have a 2004 Mazda 3 with 142k on it and it is still very tight and drives like new. I love the space of the hatchback and overall I love the car. If it was rear wheel drive I'd love it even more.

Honestly, what got me shopping Mazda 3's was driving one as a ZipCar in Chicago. I had checked out various Honda products (fit, new civic) and a VW golf in the same way. The only one that didn't feel totally clapped out was the Mazda, and it had the most miles. I figure only being a cab in Chicago can possibly be a worse life than being a rental car for the chronically carless.

That said, I drove a new 2.5s hatch and the 2008.5 speed3 hatch back to back and couldn't talk myself into settling for the massive reduction in power.

scardeal
scardeal Reader
6/11/10 3:11 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Are first/second year 335i's in your price range?

Once I went rwd, I don't like fwd any more...

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
6/11/10 3:19 p.m.

Even if they were, I'd pass. I'm not interested in the labor/maintenance on a new BMW. Parts prices are outrageous from what I gather as well.

If I get another BMW, it will be old school like my past E30s. Maybe an E24 or E28, although an E39 540 Touring would make an awesome DD, but again scary maintenance on the V8s.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
6/11/10 3:53 p.m.
Hopsonn wrote: That said, I drove a new 2.5s hatch and the 2008.5 speed3 hatch back to back and couldn't talk myself into settling for the massive reduction in power.

I test-drove a 2008 Mazda3 2.3L hatch before I drove the 2007 MS3 I currently have, and I know exactly what you mean! Boost is addictive! I also test-drove a 2003 WRX wagon and a 2006 WRX wagon before settling on the MS3. The boost lag on the 2003 felt positively eternal compared to the 2006 and the MS3, which are both nearly seamless. I wanted the '06 WRX the most, but insurance rates for WRXs in my area are asinine and would have forced me to sell my FC RX-7 to afford it.

So far I've been very happy with my MS3. It has close to 47K on it and it drives just peachy. I usually get 25-26mpg with mostly highway driving. The EGR valve throws a CEL now and then, so I will have to clean it out at my next oil change, but otherwise I've had no issues. It has a Cobb short-ram intake with AEM air filter, Forge Version 2 BPV, and a CP-E rear engine mount, and that will probably be the extent of the power mods until the extended warranty expires. No signs of any turbo smoking yet. While I sometimes wish the MS3 was RWD or AWD, it handles very well for a FWD car. I have to push it very, very hard to get it to understeer.

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
6/11/10 4:53 p.m.

has mazda narrowed the center console in the new model? I was super-close to buying a MS3 two years ago, but my knee kept hitting the center stack (same problem as my wife's '06 Mazda3). And I'm only 6'0....made my knee sore after a 10 minute drive.

That was the main reason I went with the wrx instead, honestly. It was the tiebreaker. The WRX has AWD which is great if you have snow, and the WRX has a moonroof. The MS3 had tighter handling and hits full boost a bit quicker. In autocross this season with 2 similarly-modded 09 wrxs to mine and 3 similarly modded MS3s of various years, the quickest guy is in the '06 MS3, me and another wrx 2nd/3rd, and the two 09-10 MS3s a good second behind...for what it's worth.

I liked the looks of the old MS3 MUCH better - it was a great looking car...the new one looks gross (IMO). But the WRX hatch isn't much better. I have a sedan though :)

Can't go wrong with either though, just depends on what you want.

btw, the Racecomp/Bilsteins for the 08+ WRX will be out later this month to replace the somewhat soft stock springs/struts. Food for thought

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zztvKSSE942BvjOnjMR2fvPJzp6MYXGRp3iBQvkuRfubNW4DjQH3WP0F22oqRNhm