1 2
njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
9/17/10 9:36 a.m.

Well. Here I go with another post. The M5 is looking more and more "suspect" as time goes on: the ownership still hasn't "appeared", and it's a Euro car...which means it's possible that it's never been titled in Canada.

But car searching did get me thinking: perhaps it's time for a fun family car. Currently a 2003 protege fills that role for the 3 of us, but WRX's are finally dropping in price. Would you (keeping in mind a rear-facing seat): 2006 WRX w/60 k miles, mint wagon 2004 325i Touring w/sport package + 5 speed, 100k miles

I like that the WRX is newer, lower mileage and I haven't had a turbo AWD car yet. My wife loves both. Neither would become a project, though I suspect a tune for the WRX could be "justified". Usage is: family trips, auto-x and MAYBE up to 120 miles a week driving around town. I'd commute in it occasionally just to give it a proper run. It would also serve as my "severe weather" commuter if the TDI can't get out of our neighborhood.

Thoughts?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/10 9:51 a.m.
njansenv wrote: Well. Here I go with another post. The M5 is looking more and more "suspect" as time goes on: the ownership still hasn't "appeared", and it's a Euro car...which means it's possible that it's never been titled in Canada. But car searching did get me thinking: perhaps it's time for a fun family car. Currently a 2003 protege fills that role for the 3 of us, but WRX's are finally dropping in price. Would you (keeping in mind a rear-facing seat): 2006 WRX w/60 k miles, mint wagon 2004 325i Touring w/sport package + 5 speed, 100k miles I like that the WRX is newer, lower mileage and I haven't had a turbo AWD car yet. My wife loves both. Neither would become a project, though I suspect a tune for the WRX could be "justified". Usage is: family trips, auto-x and MAYBE up to 120 miles a week driving around town. I'd commute in it occasionally just to give it a proper run. It would also serve as my "severe weather" commuter if the TDI can't get out of our neighborhood. Thoughts?

I drive an '02 325iT (pic below) and had an '03 WRX. I prefer the BMW, but, for severe weather (non-existent here in Fla), I would think the AWD would be better. I feel like the BMW has slightly more rear seat room though.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
9/17/10 9:52 a.m.

An E-46 Touring with 5 speed and sports package may not quite be a unicorn, but it is not an easy car to find. It is what I want for my next daily driver, and I have it in the back of my mind to grab the next nice one that I see.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
9/17/10 9:54 a.m.

I LOVE that car. It's what started me on my search...

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
9/17/10 9:57 a.m.
bludroptop wrote: An E-46 Touring with 5 speed and sports package may not quite be a unicorn, but it is not an easy car to find. It is what I want for my next daily driver, and I have it in the back of my mind to grab the next nice one that I see.

You must be right....it sold almost immediately!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/17/10 10:03 a.m.

My wife has an '05 325XiT and it is better in the snow/rain than our Outback was - and that is saying something because the 'buru was fantastic.

It is much, much more fun on dry roads and gets great mileage. It also looks hot ('burus are hideous IMO) with 17" wheels off of my old M3.

Repairs thus far have been limited to wear items and an axle ($110 from raxles) because the PO sold it with a torn the boot and I didn't catch it on the inspection.

Prices are under $10k

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/17/10 10:13 a.m.

The trick will be finding an iX touring with the sport package and with a manual transmission.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/10 10:33 a.m.
dyintorace wrote:

Forgive me Father, for I have lusted after a station wagon.

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
9/17/10 10:34 a.m.

rear facing seats are tight but doable in wrx wagon. I've no reason to complain about my wrx wagon. I've beat the everlasting snot out of it, and it just asks for more. Granted I take care of all the routine maint religiously....but I did the same with my Audis and was not rewarded nearly as well.

Comfort items will be better in the BMW. WRX will be fun and reliable.

9/17/10 10:39 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: The trick will be finding an iX touring with the sport package and with a manual transmission.

Sport package is unnecessary, a bit harsh actually.

The stick - I see them around at BMWCCA events but since this is the mrs car she got to choose. I have to say that the the auto in sport mode is pretty good and in manual mode its faster than others I've used.

I personally would have opted for the stick but... I also would have opted for the M3 over wagon :)

9/17/10 10:43 a.m.

OH, one important thing to note - the '05 got the aluminum block and they handle a little better but if you overheat it - its ruined. You need to replace the t-stat/housing at 60k (electronic t-stat built into plastic neck) and monitor hoses/radiator neck etc... just look it over every time you check the oil and make sure its not needing something.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/17/10 10:44 a.m.

The main thing about the sport package (at least for me) would be getting the nicer seats and steering wheel. For daily driver duty I agree the firmer suspension isn't all that important.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/17/10 10:47 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

I should let you drive your old WRX with its now reasonable spring rates and see what you think.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/10 12:17 p.m.
bludroptop wrote: An E-46 Touring with 5 speed and sports package may not quite be a unicorn, but it is not an easy car to find. It is what I want for my next daily driver, and I have it in the back of my mind to grab the next nice one that I see.

Agreed. They are tough to find. To get a manual with the sports package and premium package, I shipped my car across the country, once I found it.

At least now I know where to list mine for sale when I decide it's time to sell!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
9/17/10 12:43 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: I drive an '02 325iT (pic below) and had an '03 WRX. I prefer the BMW, but, for severe weather (non-existent here in Fla), I would think the AWD would be better. I feel like the BMW has slightly more rear seat room though. A friend of mine though as an '02 WRX wagon, though, and it's considerably faster and gets similar gas mileage. I'm hella jealous that I'm an old man and can't get away with driving such a kick-ass car.

Fixed it for you.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington HalfDork
9/17/10 3:07 p.m.

the correct answer is Legacy GT wagon.

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
9/17/10 3:52 p.m.

DING DING DING for Buzz. LGT Wagon is the way to go.

In your original choice: - BMW is better looking by a mile, probably handles better out of the box, and has a nicer interior. And you can tell people that you have a BMW ;)

• WRX waggy is more fun to drive and faster. Interior is sparser and easier to get clean when your kid makes a mess (ask me how I know). Rear seat room is fine for rear-mount baby seat, though a bit smaller than my 09 wrx (which has several inches of clearance between baby seat and front seat).

For autocross the WRX is a hands-down winner. I've raced with BMWCCA for the last 2 years and have not seen that stock e46 wagons are impressive at all on the course.

and 06-07 wrxs are arguably the "best" year for them (though I'm partial to the 09-10s)

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/18/10 12:53 a.m.

In reply to Buzz Killington:

I'm partial to the GT Wagons as well. If this was for sale when I was buying I wouldn't have my Forester XT.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/1932161380.html

11110000 Reader
9/18/10 5:42 a.m.

Another AWD Turbo conveyance to possibly consider: Volvo V70R. Considering the way these things depreciate, they are an excellent used car value. If you want an autobox, go for an '06-'07.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
9/18/10 6:56 a.m.

Well, I drove the WRX yesterday. I was actually a little disappointed, which is wierd since I flat out loved the bug-eye I drove a few months ago. It could be that this wasn't a great example: it felt REALLY soft below 3500rpms, which I didn't think happened on the 2.5T's, and felt like it was misfiring. Broken windsheild, FINISHED tires. The coolant bottle was open, and low on coolant. "I top it up when I change the oil". Pass.

I love LGT wagons, but they are not easy to find with a stick....

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
9/18/10 10:29 a.m.

You need to search for 05 for the legacy gt wagon with a stick, they got rid of it in 06, hence the reason I ended up with a sedan. I loved the car, but my back did not.

My dream wagon is over in europe, got to have it as a rental this past spring.

Brand new BMW 3 series diesel wagon, with the M package and a stick (:o The most amazing thing, I can get the sedan here, but not the wagon.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
9/18/10 2:48 p.m.

There's an E36 WAGON Diesel here for sale locally. It's pretty neat. Slow, but neat.

Nathan

Linky http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-BMW-Diesel-W0QQAdIdZ228285952

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
9/18/10 9:17 p.m.
njansenv wrote: Well, I drove the WRX yesterday. I was actually a little disappointed, which is wierd since I flat out loved the bug-eye I drove a few months ago. It could be that this wasn't a great example: it felt REALLY soft below 3500rpms, which I didn't think happened on the 2.5T's, and felt like it was misfiring. Broken windsheild, FINISHED tires. The coolant bottle was open, and low on coolant. "I top it up when I change the oil". Pass. I love LGT wagons, but they are not easy to find with a stick....

yeah, finding a solid WRX is a crapshoot, since so many people mod them and/or run them hard on the street, track, or whatever. But there are others out there.

Another thought: The 2008 wrxs go relatively cheap to their newness, since they're kind of the odd man out model thanks to the power/suspension upgrades in the 09 and their "docile" looks. Look around for one. They actually are much better than they get credit for and arguably quicker in autocross than the 09+ thanks to the fast-spooling smaller turbo (assuming you upgrade the suspension). Plus a ton of people were trying to unload them when the 09s came out, and few were modded heavily.

Plus they have the sleeper look if you don't want the rally/boy-racer look of the earlier (and now 2011+) models...

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/18/10 9:35 p.m.

05 GT wagon with a manual; now there's a unicorn

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
9/20/10 8:37 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: 05 GT wagon with a manual; now there's a unicorn

Exactly what I was thinking. I've seen like, one. On the interwebz even.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8yQ6YCt7IGunswvOQT4sVkfeyl1bU8WEHFTLNc6mGed9Gxe07em7GE9sfPW3e1DL