1 2
P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/22/22 9:10 p.m.

Looking at the new BMWs and hearing (rightly or wrongly) that it's based on Chinese sense of style, I got to wondering what cars look cool to what other cultures. 

I once read that the FC RX-7's design was based on research by Mazda as to what Americans like -- long nose, short rear. Turned out they made a Japanese 926/944 clone, but whatever. 

As an American, I think the best looking regular car that best captured the essentials of good style are the late 90s BMWs. The kidneys aren't obnoxious, the front overhang is short, the hood is long, the trunk isn't. It's just classic. 
Presumably that's a pretty standard ideal in much of the western world, too. But what other "worlds" are out there, and what looks great to them?

EDIT: this thread is worthless without pictures

Mazda's researched interpretation of what Americans want in a sporty car

[This] American's ideal car shape:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/23/22 12:23 a.m.

Holden Commodores. To a generation of Americans, raised on FWD, they (and Ford Falcons) seem like holy grails. Traditional longitudinal drivetrain. Rear wheel drive. Even the plain booring mom mobiles have so much potential.

To Aussies, they're regular everyday cars.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/23/22 7:03 a.m.

The culture moved elsewhere. I didn't. sad

For the first time in 13 years, I no longer daily a station wagon. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/22 7:13 a.m.

The big reason Buick is around is that it is a status symbol in Asia. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/23/22 7:15 a.m.

I think Kei cars generally look silly. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/23/22 7:20 a.m.

I am pretty sure America's favorite design is the pickup.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/23/22 4:18 p.m.

Luxury minivans for the high-class are a thing in Hong Kong and other parts of Asia. Can't get a Lexus minivan in the US.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/23/22 4:27 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Luxury minivans for the high-class are a thing in Hong Kong and other parts of Asia. Can't get a Lexus minivan in the US.

Having seen the pictures, we've definitely dodged a bullet there.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
5/23/22 4:30 p.m.
P3PPY said:

Looking at the new BMWs and hearing (rightly or wrongly) that it's based on Chinese sense of style, I got to wondering what cars look cool to what other cultures. 

Yes, I heard that BMW design is based on Asian car culture tastes.  If that's the case, I'm going to import a crap ton of Edsels to that area and make a fortune!!!  Sorry, as much as I love my 128i, I so strongly dislike the nose on newer cars.  It's atrocious.  

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/23/22 4:34 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Holden Commodores. To a generation of Americans, raised on FWD, they (and Ford Falcons) seem like holy grails. Traditional longitudinal drivetrain. Rear wheel drive. Even the plain booring mom mobiles have so much potential.

I've always thought Australian cars had awkward proportions and just never looked right

P3PPY
5/23/22 6:06 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Yeah, me too. Like car video game generic knockoffs of real cars. Until about 2000. Greenhouse too tall, front too short, that sort of thing. 

GeddesB
GeddesB GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/23/22 7:37 p.m.
SV reX said:

I think Kei cars generally look silly. 

What?: 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
5/23/22 7:49 p.m.
Peabody said:
Appleseed said:

I've always thought Australian cars had awkward proportions and just never looked right

Counterpoint...

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/23/22 8:13 p.m.

Well the proportions are not bad, but the Beaumont front end just isn't working with the Torino back end

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/23/22 8:37 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:
Peabody said:
Appleseed said:

Counterpoint...

While it's gorgeous, it reminds me of the cars in grand theft auto. Just different enough from what it's pretending to be to avoid trouble. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/24/22 7:56 a.m.

Look at the great classics of the past.  Jaguar XKE, Mercedes Benz SSK,  Duesenburg SJ, Early ( 1965)  Mustang etc.  

young sporty men like a long nose and short rear deck.  
Families want utilitarian ( Mini Vans, SUV's ) 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/24/22 8:00 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

That's because space is such a premium, parking, storage, etc. While China is near the size of the US most are crowded into the eastern 1/3. With mountains and deserts taking the other 2/3's.   
As is Japan and Korea 

P3PPY
6/2/22 9:30 p.m.

Waaaaaaaiiiiiit a minute!

Buick is famously popular ONLY in China, yet they make this:

BMW is trying to get popular in China and they make this:

The new BMW 7 Series.

Something doesn't add up here.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/2/22 10:02 p.m.

The most direct example I can think of is the DC2 Integra. Japan consumers hated the 4 eye front end so it was redesigned in that market while the 4 eye look sold well in the rest of the world. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/2/22 11:51 p.m.

I've always admired Italy's willingness to take styling risks. Even a lot of what most Americans might consider failures, make a certain sense to me. I think that there can be visual languages that make sense within a cultural context that don't translate to others. The best analogy I can think of is atonal music. Most Westerners think it's like nails on a blackboard, but if you've been raised to appreciate it, it's a different mater entirely.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/22 1:14 p.m.

The UK has come out with some designs that seem to hold up well.

Then, the company was sold and suddenly they started looking more like Buicks.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
6/3/22 1:31 p.m.

I had a joke about this regarding culture through cars: IE HVAC systems or seat adjustment

Americans: big dumb handle to grab and twist you want it hot or cold just turn the clicker or move the seat as your ass needs

Germans: (imagine strong accent here) Ze fan control is 0-10 and in parallel has individual climate control incremental to ze .5 degree of temperature 

Japanese: COLD IS BIG BLUE, HOT IS BIG RED. MOVE DIAL - ZEN ACHIEVED. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
6/3/22 2:39 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:
Peabody said:
Appleseed said:

Counterpoint...

sweet Ford Torino, WTF happened to the grill?

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
6/3/22 4:12 p.m.

Torinos just wish they were Falcons

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/22 7:07 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Torinos just wish they were Falcons

You mean like most people wish they weighed 20lb less?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cCVUQXJiRdnorGsu62ZOmBw7eNe9VDr59H9XtcNYRzTMsW5SofLbMD0Qr9sDixSY