PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
7/14/08 3:39 p.m.

My Soob's stupid heat shields on the header / manifold rattle like crazy. I'm thinking of cutting them off and wrapping the pipes. Any thoughts on a.) that plan, and b.) the exhaust/header wrap available on eBay? Any quality concerns? Do I need to buy special fasteners to secure it or can I use standard hose clamps?

TIA.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/14/08 3:45 p.m.

The main issue I have always heard regarding wrapping exhaust systems is that the extra retained heat tends to get them to rust out in no time at all.

If'n I wuz you, I'd take the MIG to your existing head shield mounting points and fix them or just leave them off.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/14/08 3:57 p.m.

I just noticed the ones on our LeMons/rallycross beater are getting pretty loose too. I was thinking about cutting them off and having no heat shield, but they really are handy to have, especially if you have to work on it in the race (makes the difference between an OW burn and a hospital burn). We're planning on tack welding things together just to minimize the rattling. Wraps are a PITA and long-term will be a lot more hassle than fixing your metal ones IMO.

Bryce

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/08 5:53 p.m.

buy a pair of "heat shield clamps" (no really) at NAPA

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/14/08 6:52 p.m.

I removed the heat shield mounting tabs from the manifold on my Miata and wrapped it with DEI. Wrapping it was a major PITA. I used hose clamps.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/14/08 7:56 p.m.
John Brown wrote: buy a pair of "heat shield clamps" (no really) at NAPA

they work, but be prepared to tighten them back up periodically.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
7/15/08 5:49 a.m.

I've tried some of the cheaper heat wraps, but the DEI or Thermotec will last longer (not indefinitely, but definitely longer) than the cheap stuff. It can be a pain to wrap...do it once and right!

Per

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/16/08 5:48 p.m.

A small roll of stainless steel wire will do for holding on that wrap.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VnEUwZYzfV6PwnBx5G3uHGX7YHCorMAsAM0CDCpIMTlrEiLLi65V6Jc3y09aeZdC