thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/24/18 12:55 a.m.

Hello all. Like the title says, how do I tell which NBs have torsens? Preferably from photos and not from attempting a burn-out. Specifically pre-facelift models. I've seen a few for $2500-3000 and I'm intrigued. 

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/24/18 1:09 a.m.

There's a writeup for this on miata.net somewhere, but from what I recall all leather package (tan top, tan interior) had torsens.  PEP and sport package cars had Torsens, but are hard to id from exterior photos.  Sport had a shock tower brace and 15" wheels, but those could easily have been swapped by this point.  PEP cars also had Torsens but again are really hard to ID from photos.  The special edition cars (10th anniversary, etc) had them too.  Anything with an automatic is an open diff though.

outasite
outasite HalfDork
1/24/18 7:38 a.m.

In reply to codrus :

Call the Mazda help line, give the VIN #, and ask them. Very nice woman will check build sheet and tell you what the car left the factory with. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/24/18 7:43 a.m.
outasite said:

In reply to codrus :

Call the Mazda help line, give the VIN #, and ask them. Very nice woman will check build sheet and tell you what the car left the factory with. 

Yup, I did this a few years ago when I visited the Miata graveyard and pulled two torsens out of NBs for $125 each.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
1/24/18 7:59 a.m.

For 99 models, if it has the PEP it is a Torsen car. I just looked for the wind blocker, cruise and power antenna when I was NB shopping. 

Like previously mentioned, all the leather cars have the torsen. 

Not sure if the same rules apply for 2000. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/18 8:03 a.m.

Find It, Fix It, Trick It has all the spotting info. Or you can analyze the brochures year by year. 

On a test drive, you don’t need to do a burnout. Just put the wheels on different traction surfaces like a gravel or grass shoulder and apply a bit more power than that traction level can support.  Works on every kind of LSD because it tests exactly what an LSD is. 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
1/24/18 9:50 a.m.

Online VIN decoder won't tell you?

JM1NB3536X0124966

Is my copart miata, I thought it had one but now I am thinking maybe not?

Keith Tanner
1/24/18 10:43 a.m.

It’s not coded into the vin. Mazda references the build sheets when you call. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/24/18 11:23 a.m.

At this point those cars are so old that I wouldn't put too much stock in how it was originally equipped.  Who know's what's been added, removed or broken after all these years.  Particularly with a Miata, which may be the most modified car model on the planet.  You really need to check and Keith's road test technique is that easiest way to do that.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
1/24/18 11:50 a.m.

Ok, silly question. What is PEP?

I have a 99 Base edition with manual hand crank windows, no cruise control, no power antennae. Came w/black vinyl top and black cloth seats that has I replaced w/Robbins cloth top and Corbeau seats. I know mine is open diff. Just curious what is PEP, seen the term a lot lately. I'm an old geezer that just doesn't know these factory code terminology that is thrown around a lot here. I've figured out some and learned some others.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/24/18 1:34 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3 :

I'm like 90% sure that PEP stands for Popular Equipment Package. 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
1/24/18 5:43 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

It’s not coded into the vin. Mazda references the build sheets when you call. 

Where do i find your test technique in the find it fix it trick it book? I dont see Torsen or limited slip in the index

Keith Tanner
1/24/18 5:58 p.m.

Well, it's in this thread just up a few posts laugh If it's in FIFITI, it'll be in the section about buying one. You can get a pretty good idea if it came from the factory with one by looking at the year over year changes at the back.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gFVNAamb7tYrIBmENGZwgxMvwla8sbVFRTbAzeJaAkpQAUDv4hAKxVwAJ5XadUQu