1 2 3 4
CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/6/14 10:43 a.m.

The article in the magazine this month was very intriguing. Have you guys acquired any additional data or tried it on any of the project cars?

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
4/6/14 12:55 p.m.

In reply to CrashDummy:

Or get someone brave enough to run it through their turbocharged something or other?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
4/6/14 2:29 p.m.

word

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
4/6/14 3:15 p.m.

Seriously,

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
4/6/14 8:46 p.m.

I ordered some at the Rolex, still waiting for delivery

peter
peter Dork
4/6/14 10:05 p.m.

it's too bad that the proper usage of this magical elixir precludes a second 'baseline' run after the experimental pull. the tire/wheel tests get it about as right as one can (base, test, base), but the methodology here doesn't leave me convinced.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
4/7/14 6:34 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I ordered some at the Rolex, still waiting for delivery

Steve, give them a call … (that's what I had to do) there was a screw up between their CC info and the ship to info … as soon as I got them the correct shipping info I received my bottle in less than a week

http://efscombust.com/contact

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/14 7:16 a.m.

I'm pretty sure it's just a working octane booster. Octane booster + crap gas (87 octane used in the magazine's test) = much higher octane gas ~= more power.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
4/7/14 7:46 a.m.

octane doesn't really work that way .. it's a knock inhibitor not a power booster

with some cars you will see an increase in power with higher octane because the computer can then increase the timing (making a need for increased knock protection) and other magic things that can push the power higher … but for cars that have been designed to run on 87, you're just wasting money

even the oil companies will tell you this …

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/14 7:59 a.m.

True. Few cars will run well on 87 though. Any EFI'd car that can benefit from the higher octane will get a power boost from the advanced timing.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/7/14 9:28 a.m.

Even their add in the magazine says it works beat with 87. I'd love to see what (if anything) it does with a car that's already running 93. I'd also like to see what happens with a car with a less complicated ECU. The Lemons Miata running on 93 would be perfect. Have you guys that ordered bottles of it tried it out yet?

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
4/7/14 12:12 p.m.

I talked with them for a while at the track … asked which would be of more benefit

(this is my TT/a-x CRX) …. I had had it tuned for 93 (advanced as much as we could get away with… could always go back to that tune) … now it was tuned for 87 no ethanol, and they said to switch to regular 87 (40 - 50¢ per gal. cheaper than no ethanol) … that I would see more benefit with the same tune using their product on plain ol 87 than with either of the other options

so far it's all butt dyno … and observed gas milage … for a-x I drive the car to and from (120 - 150 mi each way) … the milage seems to have improved … but I have no way of telling whether it's the product or the summer formula gas

the car's going back on the dyno soon … I'll report back after that

and in response to GameboyRMH … I've seen just the opposite … the newer cars that are designed for 87 seem to run just fine …

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
4/14/14 3:46 p.m.

Bumping this thread up for updates. Still interested in any results.

Joe Severns
Joe Severns Marketing & PR Director
4/14/14 4:12 p.m.

I used EFS Combust in my BMW this past weekend before a road trip to Georgia. I most likely added a bit too much, as measuring a fifth of a bottle is difficult as you pour into the gas filler tube. I recorded a mileage increase (24.6mpg to 29.7mpg) over 400 miles. The trip computer took a little while to recalibrate, and I stopped at a rest area 50 miles north of my starting point to shut the car off and re-start. Once I did that, the trip computer reconfigured and the car started to record nearly 30mpg driving above 80mph.

Murphy
Murphy New Reader
4/15/14 10:30 p.m.

I don't see why this is so surprising. If it can turn ordinary turtles into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, how could it not add atleast 5 horsepower?

[This post has not been paid for by Michael Bay or anyone related to upcoming TMNT film]

dfoulk
dfoulk New Reader
4/16/14 3:13 a.m.

I enjoyed reading about this test especially since I drive a 2012 Focus. I would like to see the test repeated with 93 octane to eliminate boosted octane as the cause of the increased power. The Focus is designed to run on 87 but it will gain power with 93 octane. Here is a quote from the owners manual:

"Your vehicle is designed to use “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Premium fuel will provide improved performance. Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, see your authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage."

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
4/16/14 6:57 a.m.

my guess is that the bolded part above refers to the use of fuels with octane ratings below 87 .. and they're saying that higher octane fuels will result in improved performance …

if you have the time/inclination run a tank of 87 then refill with 87 go to a dyno and get your numbers …then striving for the same weather conditions, run a tank of 91/93 and then refill and do the dyno thing again … see how much improved performance there is

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Online Editor
4/16/14 7:11 a.m.
CrashDummy wrote: Even their add in the magazine says it works beat with 87. I'd love to see what (if anything) it does with a car that's already running 93. I'd also like to see what happens with a car with a less complicated ECU. The Lemons Miata running on 93 would be perfect. Have you guys that ordered bottles of it tried it out yet?

We put it in the tank for our entire LeMons race at Barber. I can't say whether we gained horsepower, but the engine didn't blow up. So there's that.

There were a couple moments on track that day where we picked up a brief, high-rpm misfire. I can't say whether it's the result of EFS Combust or just an oddity with the car--we've speculated the car could benefit from a coolant reroute, since the car's cooling system design doesn't cool the rear cylinders as well as the front ones. But we really aren't sure what caused that behavior or how to replicate it.

Ambient temps were cool at Barber; hot at Sebring last year. We did not have this issue at Sebring. But we're also driving a 22-year-old car that sat for 6 years under a bush and abusing it for 14 hours on a track. The best I can say, then, is that results outside of the dyno have been inconclusive.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/16/14 8:41 a.m.
Joe Severns wrote: I used EFS Combust in my BMW this past weekend before a road trip to Georgia. I most likely added a bit too much, as measuring a fifth of a bottle is difficult as you pour into the gas filler tube. I recorded a mileage increase (24.6mpg to 29.7mpg) over 400 miles. The trip computer took a little while to recalibrate, and I stopped at a rest area 50 miles north of my starting point to shut the car off and re-start. Once I did that, the trip computer reconfigured and the car started to record nearly 30mpg driving above 80mph.

Was this on the same road, same conditions, etc?

A 20% increase in fuel mileage from an additive is beyond hard to believe.

Tex_Arcana
Tex_Arcana None
4/29/14 9:32 a.m.

In reply to wbjones: Not totally: ECUs constantly increase timing under acceleration until they detect ping/knock,then dial back slightly until the knock goes away. Happens many times a second, which increases power and efficiency. So if you boost octane, you boost the ability to advance the timing further, which provides more power.

Tex_Arcana
Tex_Arcana New Reader
4/29/14 9:37 a.m.

What I want to see is their MSDS, that alone will tell the tale.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
4/29/14 9:37 a.m.

You also have the fact that most cars have flex fuel sensors that detect octane and allow the ECU to map accordingly.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
4/29/14 9:47 a.m.
Tex_Arcana wrote: What I want to see is their MSDS, that alone will tell the tale.

I wonder what the odds are that it's mostly methanol, or some other alcohol?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
4/29/14 4:03 p.m.

Ding ding ding ding!

http://ecofuelsaver.com/web/MSDS-English.pdf

Yes, it's mostly ethanol/alcohol. And yes, it works. We dyno tested our LeMons Miata a few days ago on EFS, and were once again surprised by the results.

rharris19
rharris19
5/2/14 4:08 p.m.

Any chance you guys will be posting that dyno up or making a follow up article about it?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Axz20227JgQgzOejkhB9bewOtKEVsCTKFEypMGSNkfImFpBxl4Q1HEQgAjNqHXEx