1 2
Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
11/20/19 6:35 p.m.

I've recently started commuting again. Not a bad commute but 45 minutes each way and I'm really not happy with my Echo. It will be a quick easy sell so I'm looking at options to replace it.

I'd like something a little more comfortable, newer ,and fuel economy is not big issue. Has to be a manual trans and 2dr is always the preference. I think the only non 2dr car I would consider is a Chevy Sonic RS hatch and it's still on the table.

Anyway, I'm not up on either of the Korean cars but I suspect good reliability and have seen acceptable  resale prices. I believe the Koup is available with a 2.4? The Elantra sport has a 2.0? I'm looking in the 2014 range +/- a year or two I would probably do minor mods. Springs, wheels, the usual intake and exhaust and probably a tune if that's an option .

Who can fill me in on the good, the bad and the ugly?

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/19 8:00 p.m.

Would a 3 door like the Veloster suit you? the side you look at the most makes it look like a 2 door hatchback

also bobzilla to the Korean courtesy phone, i repeat bobzilla to the Korean courtesy phone .

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/21/19 7:11 a.m.

I know you said 2 door but if you can swing it find a 2017+  Elantra Sport(sedan) or GT(hatchback). They are the 1.6L turbo engine, 6 speed manual or DCT and have the IRS rear ends.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/21/19 7:20 a.m.

Koup's stopped having the 2.4 Theta in 2013 with the end of the first generation. Second gen got either the 2.0 GDI Nu or the 1.6GDI-T Gamma in the SX. So... same car. The long doors of the Koup do make tight parking spots difficult. Wife wishes we had found a 4-dr or hatch but you get what comes up at the right price.

EDIT: trust me, the second gen car is much better at being a car than the first gen. The first gen big block was more fun but not as good of an actual car (road noise, creature comforts etc)

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
11/21/19 7:25 a.m.

Currently I am looking at a possible 2016 Elantra GT GLS 6 spd manual to replace my 2007 Mini Cooper S.  I haven't driven the car I am looking at yet.  That will be on Saturday.  I will give a report after.  

However, i have not seen too much complaints on the car.  Been looking around quite a bit on line. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
11/21/19 9:14 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Koup's stopped having the 2.4 Theta in 2013 with the end of the first generation. Second gen got either the 2.0 GDI Nu or the 1.6GDI-T Gamma in the SX. So... same car. The long doors of the Koup do make tight parking spots difficult. Wife wishes we had found a 4-dr or hatch but you get what comes up at the right price.

EDIT: trust me, the second gen car is much better at being a car than the first gen. The first gen big block was more fun but not as good of an actual car (road noise, creature comforts etc)

And how is reliability on either of those power plants, and the cartsin general?

At this point I'm not looking at 4 dr cars. My interest was piqued in the Koup solely because it's a 2 dr and available in manual. I was unaware of the Elantra sport, but I find it a much better looking car but I will definitely look at the second gen Forte.

So, anything I should look for or look out for, and is there any aftermarket? Is a tune even possible? I'm not seeing anything for these cars.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
11/21/19 11:10 a.m.

Clarify which years you're looking at.  I've owned a 2011 Kia Forte wagon and a 2013 Elantra 2 door.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
11/21/19 11:38 a.m.

I thought I did.

Suprf1y said:

I'm looking in the 2014 range +/- a year or two

I asked my wife what she thought of one of the Forte's I was looking at. Never a fan of imports, she said get the EX model because the only good Kia is an ex-Kia . At that point I threatened her with a Rondo.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/21/19 3:08 p.m.
Suprf1y said:
bobzilla said:

And how is reliability on either of those power plants, and the cartsin general?

At this point I'm not looking at 4 dr cars. My interest was piqued in the Koup solely because it's a 2 dr and available in manual. I was unaware of the Elantra sport, but I find it a much better looking car but I will definitely look at the second gen Forte.

So, anything I should look for or look out for, and is there any aftermarket? Is a tune even possible? I'm not seeing anything for these cars.

the Nu is decent. We have 77k miles on her '14 Koup, we have put on the last 47k. To date its used one set of tires and oil changes about every 8-9k miles. And gas. Wife averages 34-36mpg depending on the traffic. We've seen 37-38 on vacation cruising at normal highway speeds with the 6-spd auto. It's a comfortable, relaxed car that does everythign well and will stuff 8.5" wheels and 255's if you need a pinch hitter auto-x/track day car.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
11/21/19 3:32 p.m.

I drove a 15 Koup and 14 Elantra this afternoon. The Elantra was only a GLS but it was a manual. I found them both nice to drive but loved the seats and seating position in the Koup. I'll have to try an Elantra sport with leather and 2.0 now for sure, but I was impressed by both.  I'm waiting for my buddy to get back to me on the reliability of each. He works on this stuff all the time and I trust his judgment. The Koup with 1.6T screams potential to me, but I could probably get by just fine wth the 2.0.

I'm taking your advice and looking at second gen cars only now

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/21/19 3:42 p.m.

The 1.6T would be awesome with an exhaust and tune....then some coilovers and bigger wheels and tires.... and the next thing you know you're racing the thing full time.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/21/19 3:54 p.m.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
11/21/19 5:08 p.m.

Yes, it seemed like a few minor mods and it would be a lot of fun to drive.

I'm sure you'll be impressed to know that the Koup reminded me an awful lot of my 2000 Z24, one of my favourite cars ever

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/21/19 5:15 p.m.

UIn reply to Suprf1y :

I always liked those z24’s personally. I know they weren’t great but they weren’t bad if you did the right things. We almost ended up with one in 2002 over the elantra. Makes me wonder where I’d be now had I gone that route. 

Btw that is full lean in the stock 75k mile suspension in the top photo. Such a better platform than those early cars. 

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
11/23/19 5:49 p.m.

I tested a 2016 Elantra GT GLS today.  It wasn't what I expected.   I was hoping for more.  Car drove well enough but felt a bit chintzy.  I tried all 3 steering settings and didn't feel much difference between, sport, normal and comfort.  

Then went to the Stealership and tested a 2019 Elantra GT N-Line.  I was more impressed with that.  Hyundai stepped up their game and it felt a lot more like my MINI Cooper S.  It held the road better, felt more connected.  Yes I k ow brand new versus 70,000 Kms.  

After I tested an Audi A4 S line.  The instruments were not intuitive to me.  Car felt great ran well and yes the Quattro system was a great option.  

Price differences came out to be about the same for the cars.  With the used car payment higher for the Audi at a lower price.  Ugh.  What to do.  

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
11/23/19 9:29 p.m.
Mike924 said:

Then went to the Stealership and tested a 2019 Elantra GT N-Line.  I was more impressed with that.  Hyundai stepped up their game and it felt a lot more like my MINI Cooper S.  It held the road better, felt more connected.  Yes I k ow brand new versus 70,000 Kms.  

Because of this thread I've been looking into the Elantra, I'm hoping once my car is paid off in a few years the real deal Elantra N is for sale in the US.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
12/26/19 9:36 a.m.

I can't believe this was a month ago, and I've been so busy I haven't driven anything else yet.  Made plans, but it's been either the weather, or my work/shutdown schedule. There aren't many second gen Koup's for sale around here so I was really tempted to consider an earlier car, but the later ones are supposed to be that much better. They look a lot better, too, IMO.

Any feedback on the Elantra coupe? I'm trying to figure out the difference, if there is any, between the SE and Sport. I really do like the way they look and the 2.0/6M would probably perfect for commuting.

This is one of the 3 that are available locally-ish. One white, one black and one silver.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/26/19 11:11 a.m.

SE used to be the top line version but I believe the sport is now. I haven't followed that part for a few years. 

The 2.0nu feels very much like the 2.4 theta in the first gen cars. Flat torque curve, linear power delivery but much more efficient. Wife's auto is really a great car to drive and I can imagine the manual being that much better. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
12/26/19 11:11 a.m.

Neither? 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/26/19 11:13 a.m.
Carbon said:

Neither? 

Haters gonna hate 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
12/26/19 4:08 p.m.
Carbon said:

Neither? 

Thank you for the well thought out and informative response.

Perhaps you could make a suggestion based on the above criteria being mostly a reasonably comfortable commuter, 2dr, manual trans, and under $10k. I'm in a Toyota now, so it's not like I can go much lower.

Thanks Bob, are there any decent online resources, forums, etc?

Klayfish mentioned having a 2 dr Elantra in the age range I'm looking but no follow up?

David Elfering
David Elfering GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/26/19 5:56 p.m.

I have a few suggestions from a year long search for "sporty" daily drivers I concluded in May.

• Fiat 500 Abarth (2015-2016). Loved this little car but my wife didn't share that opinion. They have the resale value of pre-chewed food. Not a great reliability reputation, but omg it is a laugh riot to drive.
  • Honda Fit Sport: I know, it isn't a two door but they are chuckable. Not a crazy pick but darn sensible, reliable, and with tires/wheels can be fun to autocross.
  • Miata 2002 - 2012: I didn't test drive these since I live in Nebraska, and well, it gets crappy here come Winter. 
  • BMW 128i: Hard to find a manual but I loved the one I test drove and with the automatic. Nice place to be, compact(ish), and being naturally aspirated the maintenance shouldn't be insane (but keep in mind it is German/BMW).
  • VW Golf: Not the GTI, but the base Golf. I thought the suspension/ride were tighter than the average commuter solution. A 2015-2018 with the 1.8 engine is sprightly and rides well enough to make a commute pleasant. 
  • FRS/BRZ (2013-2014): Naturally aspirated and built on a great platform. I thought it made turning around in the parking lot seem like fun. 
  • Volvo C30: I drove a couple of these with manual transmissions and really liked them. The one I really wanted, the R Design model was priced too high at the dealer, so I couldn't cut a deal. Though they're turbos the C30 has a pretty solid reputation and I was a sucker for the style. 

My search ended by spending double my original budget on a 2018 GTI at a great discount. I love the car but yeah I don't take my own advice. 

I liked the Hyundais I test drove (Veloster R-Spec, Elantra N-Line, and 2018 Elantra GT). All three were fun and under estimated by the sports car crowd. The Elantra changed dramatically in 2017 when the GT model got warmed up nicely with independent rear suspension and ~200 HP. I doubt they've dropped into the low teens price-wise, but I'd buy any one of those three without reservation. I'm guessing any of these Hyundai will be in the $14k and up range.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/27/19 7:43 a.m.

I don't know any forums anymore other than this and a local pew pew one. If you could do without the coupe part, it's a lot easier to find the Forte5 with the 1.6T/6-spd for the $12-15k

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
12/27/19 5:52 p.m.

If I could live without the coupe part I'd probably be driving a 2.0T/M6 Regal, but those Forte's in coupe form are easily in that price range here, just not plentiful yet. The Elantras are cheaper

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
12/29/19 3:08 p.m.

Sub $10k buys all sorts of interesting cars. I'd probably go lexus IS3xx if I wanted a sedan myself. Oh I know, manual transmissions are impossible to find (I've had two myself, both well under budget so not the case). I'd buy a nice one for 6-8k and have money left for kw v3 coilovers, dezod red header and crower cams. But each to their own. 

If two doors are a deal breaker, I'd get a grey market soarer for that money. Guaranteed not to depreciate much if at all as a bonus.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RhmhWT0i28m66NXhl6xQ7eelZ8hHH6kM2DAuTL4nTwaO3Hlijtctz1zv5V2HgQ1C