Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/6/19 12:08 p.m.

I know I'm not as familiar with the SCCA rules as I could be. I know some of you are. So, for a dream build say I want to build an electric autox car. This would be less of "put big sway bars on a nissan leaf" and more of "build a modified class car that happens to be electric". 

How could this be classed? Does it even have a place to run? Does the answer change if I decided to use the electric motor from a production car instead of an aftermarket motor?

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/6/19 12:22 p.m.

Looking at the rules. Page 225 SM engine classification #4

Looks like EMod let's you run electric as well. But those are the only 2.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
5/6/19 12:24 p.m.

As a reflex answer, I'm only prepared to answer for E Mod, but there is a weight requirement in E Mod for electric powered vehicles. 1800lb minimum. That would be based on a production car body/tub.

I'm no help elsewhere in Modified without further research, though if I remember right, A Mod is pretty much no-holds-barred, anything goes.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/6/19 12:42 p.m.

hmmm, yes, I see the min weight for SM electric is 2900 lbs. That would be far above what I'm planning on. and E mod still has the 'production-vehicle' clause that restricts snowmobile and motorcycle engines, so I think that would exclude an aftermarket electric motor as well. 

Amod might let it run I guess, but 900 lbs is very light!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ocu7cgYoyTrYO8f9n8PmGde4UMINq6JMEVCJVd9NpFZXswCLoHljhIdF5Wdr4Elq