1 2 3 4
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/20 11:13 p.m.

Where is it located and what's the price?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
9/12/20 12:34 a.m.

Progress?

Small piece in the middle was out of place in the column.  

No indication of how it was *supposed* to be held in place.  

Currently attempting to source another column, too bad the aftermarket is 100% focused on automatics.  

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
9/17/20 12:12 a.m.

So, no-one sells aftermarket column shift columns, no-one can tell me how to put it back together properly, and the only quote I've gotten for a rebuild is $700+  before shipping.

Fingers crossed I can source a column from someone who switched to floor shift?

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/17/20 6:45 a.m.

Have you looked at the parts manual? A lot of times i find that the exploded diagrams of components gives me enough of a clue to proceed. 

No Time
No Time Dork
9/17/20 6:50 a.m.

Have you searched for info on the instructions for pickups from that era?

You may have better luck finding info on the trucks. The mechanism should be similar (or the same) even if the length is different. 

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
9/19/20 1:59 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Best I've found so far.  Does not list the piece from my above picture (the 'key' that holds parts 18 and 20 in place)

Also questionable because a number of folks have confirmed that the '62 is different from the other years.

In reply to No Time :

That's the next place to look.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/19/20 2:50 p.m.

Good picture.  I don't think what you are calling a key holds #18 and #20 in place.  What you are calling a key is probably supposed to be attached to #15, the shifting tube.  When the shifter in in neutral, #18 and # 20 are in line with each other with the key in between.  You pull the shifter lever towards you which pushes the shifting tube down and engages the key with the lower lever.  You pull the shifter lever down into first which rotates the shifting tube and the engaged lever to push the shift linkage on the trans into first gear.  *whew*  So the key is supposed to be attached to the shifting tube somehow.  

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
9/19/20 4:39 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

key wasn't the right word, but yes, that's what we figured it does.  
There just doesn't seem to be any way to attach it , no place to fasten, no marks that suggest a clip of any sort, it seems to have just sat in a corresponding hole in the tube, held only by pressure from the steering shaft.

noddaz
9/20/20 4:46 p.m.

Interesting.  Clean it up, grease it up, assemble and try it on the bench locked in a vise.

And you have to realize that you cannot shift these fast or hard.   It just will not take it.

(Of course someone will prove me wrong here.)

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
9/26/20 12:47 a.m.

In reply to noddaz :

The assembly is the part that has us scratching our heads. 

We're not sure how the 'key' was held in place, there was a clip that fell out with it but the 'key' has no marks indicating that clip was anywhere near it.  

Forecast of rain, rain, and more rain this weekend means we'll spend some time tinkering with it.

And way ahead of you on not shifting fast or hard, one of the upsides of an anemic inline six and 60's suspension, cruising is the only way I ever drove it (or planned to)

This wagon is made to haul asses, not ass. :)

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
10/7/20 11:09 a.m.

Holy crap we actually the column back together.  

In theory now it's just a matter of freshening up some things (replace some fuel lines, new intake/exhaust gasket, eyeball an alignment, reinstall front sway bar)  

I might get to drive it before the PWN 8 months of rain kicks in!

The current fleet (m3 being the only one not on the chopping block)

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
10/11/20 10:36 p.m.

It even drives!

(Was too busy driving to get footage of that)

Few more things to button up, drive it to work a few times, then get her sooooooooold.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
10/22/20 5:43 p.m.

Getting closer to this being a thread about the shenanigans involved in selling an old car instead of fixing one. 

Sway bar back on, seat belts back in, high-beams beam again, stage one vacuum done....

Biggest thing remaining is the small issue of the horn going off anytime the car is in first gear. Which, honestly, is more amusing than anything else.

Almost time to stop cluttering my buddy's shop!

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
12/3/20 7:42 p.m.

Not too shabby for a cold start after a month sitting outside. 

Finally listed on the facebooks, more advertising to follow!

Been the most ... interesting saga of car ownership I've had so far.

noddaz
12/3/20 8:51 p.m.

Outstanding that it is back together.  Should be an easy sell.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PqIya4ACxjZJFUN6o1LNr8bzvz7RW59xpOKyMdCcrxwY11I2XPAo0XkjPHBrRzd6