1 ... 9 10 11
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/28/21 9:05 p.m.

Made a quick stop at Tommy Riggins' shop on the way back home. Would have loved to have stayed longer, but another 10 minutes and I'd have been trapped in Jax for hours by traffic, so I cut and run. But he's going to come down to Daytona when we get all unpacked and help us assess what we have and what to do next.

Long story short, first order of business is to find the center line of the chassis and just start measuring everything and build a blueprint. Then we can start figuring out what needs to be made symmetrical and what doesn't. 

But he made a few interesting points that I hadn't really considered. Like, the right front suspension has mounts further inboard than the left front, because oval track car. And I was all hung up on making them the same, which would require some mounts to be fabricated. And he was like "well maybe you have to do that, but the really important thing is getting both SAI's equidistant from the centerline. Then you work backwards from there. If you can do that, and you have the same steering curve on both sides, and similar enough camber curves, and the car feels the same in let and right hand turns, do you really care how you got there?" 

So, yeah, there's going to be some fabrication wok involved, but I guess the first thing I need to do is to reorient my brain away from always working from a unibody where everything is a fixed point and you;re trying to create the best situation within highly limited conditions and just toward looking for those conditions knowing I can always create them from scratch if I need to.

As for body, Tommy certainly has some contacts, so he's keeping an eye out for Rad-era bodies, and I know some of you are butthurt over the sportsman bodies, and I do love me some Somerset, but I think I'm coming around to the car wearing "whatever works." Like, I kind of need to talk to Steve Stafford and say "Hey, we can do anything we want here, which off-the-rack option could possibly have an aero advantage?" So I totally get that there's more ways to solve this problem other than the ones I think are cool. I think Somersets are cool, but I also think going around racetracks fast is cool. And I also think saving money for badass Watts links and cams that sound like Hot For Teacher is cool. So I think the ultimate body question will be answered by a combination of availability, utility, cost and coolness, with all factors weighted fairly evenly. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/28/21 11:20 p.m.

GM has the "Hot Cam". They definitely missed the boat by not calling it the "Hot For Teacher" cam. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
12/29/21 8:16 a.m.

Well, I guess my enabling efforts can be directed toward others now. I'm glad the goods are in your possession and your travels were relatively easy. 

jimgood, a forum member, friend and longtime fellow racer, has spent some time messing with my ASA/Camaro and is the most likely next recipient of my enabling skills. A few of us are on the hunt for an appropriate set of bones on his behalf. 
In January I will be pushing hard to get my car ready for the spring season. Ed Higginbotham, jimgood and I are going to run Ed's e36 in at least one AER event so I need to create time to help put that car together. 
I have high hopes that 2022 is going to be a great year. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/30/21 1:02 p.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

Personally a well sorted 5.3L with a nice torque building cam (think Summit truck grind) and a a sorted suspension with good tires would be an awesome HPDE car. 

The trouble is, the junkyard to racecar LS engine has been done to death.   
  Try something different.  Toss a Junkyard Ford. A Dodge Hemi. (Newish  production stuff). Then shop for weird engines.  Naturally I'd like a Jaguar V8 but what about a Maserati  V8 or Toyota V8? While some of those may seem pricey the reality is demand is pretty low. Aggressive  shopping might turn up surprising answers. Toss the whole engine/ tranny  assembly in stock and run some laps.  Yank that one out ( sell it ) and replace with something else. 
     Don't just follow the herd, Lead.    Who knows. Maybe the Lexus V8 is a secret weapon?  
 How cheap can you buy those engines? A thousand maybe 2?
    Think of what you can pass on.  Set the assembly on the floor and build a plywood box around them.  Front sump rear sump.  How complicated is the EFI system ?  How easy can you Megasquirt it?  
   Does the Mercedes Benz V8 make more power than the BMW?  How easy is it?  

Yes most will be automatics. So what?  Maybe it doesn't hurt lap times that much?   This isn't about the transmission.  Die hard shifters know they can make or buy conversions for a manual transmission. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/30/21 1:06 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

The eagle has landed. Complete with sketchy abndoned building meeting spot. Couldn't have gone better.

Tomorrow we unload and inventory. Watch this channel.

Love the sketchy hand-off location and happy to hear that it all went well. The car looks more complete than expected. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
12/30/21 3:10 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I suspect the operative term is "deceptively complete",

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/30/21 3:36 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Long story short, first order of business is to find the center line of the chassis and just start measuring everything and build a blueprint. Then we can start figuring out what needs to be made symmetrical and what doesn't. 

But he made a few interesting points that I hadn't really considered. Like, the right front suspension has mounts further inboard than the left front, because oval track car. And I was all hung up on making them the same, which would require some mounts to be fabricated. And he was like "well maybe you have to do that, but the really important thing is getting both SAI's equidistant from the centerline. Then you work backwards from there. If you can do that, and you have the same steering curve on both sides, and similar enough camber curves, and the car feels the same in let and right hand turns, do you really care how you got there?" 

As for body, ..." Like, I kind of need to talk to Steve Stafford and say "Hey, we can do anything we want here, which off-the-rack option could possibly have an aero advantage?"

I seriously considered having a large package of parts just show up at your house for the holidays...

I will reach out to some folks and see what they are sitting on.

The comments about setting the existing asymmetric suspension up to work equally is the easy way to approach the problem. There are lots of options for a-arms and uprights to get you where you want to be.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/21 4:11 p.m.
stafford1500 said:  The comments about setting the existing asymmetric suspension up to work equally is the easy way to approach the problem. There are lots of options for a-arms and uprights to get you where you want to be.

This !!!! Measure up what you have.  The car we did we thought was going to be a PITA.  Turned out to be dead simple to square up things.

Also once you start working on a real race car you will never want to go back to wrenching on a car based on a production car.  Having access to everything and having just about everything being just a bit of fabrication away from the way you want it is liberating.

Oh and contracts on the purchase.   Please post up a lot more photos.  I would like to see head-on and tail-on shots and some good shots of the corners showing the suspension and the pickup points in the shots.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/30/21 6:11 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

I would totally help JG unload that package of parts. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/30/21 6:57 p.m.
dean1484 said:
 Please post up a lot more photos.  I would like to see head-on and tail-on shots and some good shots of the corners showing the suspension and the pickup points in the shots.

Look for a proper news item with plenty of photos early next week :)

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
12/30/21 7:27 p.m.

I'm so looking forward to this project. I saw ASA race at a Illiana Speedway in Schereville, Indiana back in 2002. Probably saw this very car run. This idea is all kinds of fun!!!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/21 7:51 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

GM has the "Hot Cam". They definitely missed the boat by not calling it the "Hot For Teacher" cam. 

A Mopar Performance "Purple Cam" in a 383 does an amazing rendition of the drum intro, too laugh

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
12/30/21 8:57 p.m.

"Hot For Teacher" can still be used on the street but if you gotta turn up your idle so much that it sounds like "Whiplash" to get it to idle at all then you know it's a race-only cam.

1 ... 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h5TF6dg1p1OgNH8GMZOY3pz6P2C8Af5T3WPEP2iQv6zGsxewKJ6ObpBtjnZtNgi7