1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
jh36
jh36 Dork
11/21/21 2:18 a.m.

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/21/21 2:23 a.m.

If that chassis was not about to change hands, I am 95% sure this is what I would do. At a glance, all the critical dimensions line up. Getting the air in to the radiator would be a snap. The height looks about right. The a-pillar mods I did on the camaro look to line up about the same. 
This would be incredible. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/21 5:38 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Bonus points for JG since it could also cross over to the Classic Motorsports crowd too. You truly have his best interests in mind. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/21/21 6:51 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Excellent point!  Two projects for the price of one. It would steal the show at SEMA in...2022? Not to mention the XJ/350 conversion is so common, an LS is almost like an original configuration. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/21/21 5:44 p.m.
jh36 said:

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Excellent point!  Two projects for the price of one. It would steal the show at SEMA in...2022? Not to mention the XJ/350 conversion is so common, an LS is almost like an original configuration. 

It's been done to death.  Before you throw away maybe the best built engine you've ever seen. Take the oil pan off it.   That crankshaft is a forging made of EN40 steel. ( good stuff) then hardened after machining. Spend a few minutes looking up what something like that would cost for the Chevy.

The rods are forged out of the same stuff with rod bolts worthy of Formula 1.  They are both longer and bigger than Chevy's (2.300 rod journals.  
     4 bolt 3"  mains except the rear which is 6 bolts.   The whole crankshaft weighs 78 pounds.  The block isn't a sand casting, it's die cast.  No voids, no air pockets, no flaws.  
 There are 54 studs holding those heads on.  
      Yes the fuel injection is the early stuff without OBD2 so you'll need to Megasquirt it if you want self diagnosing. But then it's easy to add the sensor to detect what percentage of alcohol is used.  E85 will really make the V12 come alive.  11.5-1 compression ratio stock.  But to use 91 octane gas the timing is retarded to 17 degrees. ( from 47 degrees  )  use E85 and now you can add timing back which will add power and fuel mileage.    
       Because a lot of those are bought by successful old men you'll find 95% are usable the way they are.  Oh the rings may be stuck and valves gummed up   From Grandpa driving.   Just soak them in denatured alcohol for a while and they will free up.    To avoid that in the future drive it like you stole it.  
      The easiest power gain is to send the cams off to ISKY and have them reground to XM3 specs  that's about 100 horsepower right there.      Pulling and replacing  both cams  will take you about 1/2 the time a Chevy does. Timing cover,timing chain,  water pump, accessories, don't need to come off.  They are right on top and the factory even has a bracket to hold the timing sprockets. 

Adapting a 5-6 speed manual is easy.  The Jaguar locating dowels line right up with the Chevy bell housing.  Plus the brake pedal is real close to taking a  clutch pedal.  419 of the early ones had a manual transmission and they never changed the brake pedal casting. They  Just cut of the stub that holds the other end of the clutch pedal.  
     Not that the GM Turbo 400 is going to  give you trouble. ( or the later GM overdrive) 

It still will do 150 mph stock. But since it's pretty hard to legally go that fast here in America maybe you'd like to swap the Dana 44 for something more drag race suitable. A 4.19 should  be fun.  Still can go 2 times the legal limit. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/21 6:20 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Damn it man why did you have to get him going.  He doesn't even realize what chassis it's going into.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
11/21/21 6:33 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to jh36 :

Damn it man why did you have to get him going.  He doesn't even realize what chassis it's going into.

Still a hoot to listen to thou....I always thought these motors were turdz.....there i go thinkin' again ...thanks Frenchy wink

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/21 6:43 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Even better the car he's ranting on has a 6 cylinder but jh36 pushed the button so well Frenchy didn't even look.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/21/21 6:50 p.m.
759NRNG said:
Stampie said:

In reply to jh36 :

Still a hoot to listen to thou....I always thought these motors were turdz.....there i go thinkin' again ...thanks Frenchy wink

I like Chevy's ( I've bought 22 new over my life) plus a few used.   But once you actually look at Jaguars instead of take others word for it, they are a fantastic deal. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/22/21 5:07 a.m.

Frenchy,  you probably have gone back and see this...I am suggesting doing something rather blasphemous: cutting the Jaguar up and using only the sheet metal skin to cover an ASA tubeframe. 
the Jag in question is pretty well returning to the earth. I don't believe anyone will take on a real restoration given its current state, but in a weird way, a project as described would give it a second life...think Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in reverse. 
I almost bought a xj12c in the 80's but talked myself out of it as I needed a DD. I bought a '57 Healey instead. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/22/21 9:20 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

For a race car all is allowed.  I'm mean what sort of two faced guy would I be since I am currently cutting up a  nice Jaguar XJS  to go racing.  
     I'm just thinking about the engine in it.   Rather than using the old 6 or a Chevy, you can  buy a V12 cheaper. 
  Recently a  really nice whole car popped up for $600.  But if you go on car-parts.com  and request a 1978 or newer V12  XJ12 or XJS   
   I'd buy one that has had a fire.  It's going to be a lot cheaper and it was running when burned.  

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
11/22/21 10:00 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Gotta remember this is a magazine project car. It needs to appeal to a vast majority of readers who can relate to some part of the build. I'll guess there's only a small percentage of readers who would find Jag V 12 drivetrain information useful for their own projects. So while you (and I) might think stuffing a V 12 in it would be cool, it wouldn't provide useful content for most readers.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/22/21 11:02 a.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Hey, you must have been listening in on this morning's editorial meeting. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/22/21 11:09 a.m.

All I'm saying is the Buick Somerset is the Miata of mid 1980s GM FWD sedans badge engineered by companies that no longer exist.

JG Pasterjak
11/22/21 11:11 a.m.

Third-gen F-body is also very high on my spank bank list

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/22/21 11:19 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

Is "editorial meeting" a euphemism for bench racing?

JG Pasterjak
11/22/21 11:30 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

Yes but somewhow we get paid for it.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/21 11:41 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Second gen > Turd gen

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/21 11:52 a.m.
NOT A TA said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Gotta remember this is a magazine project car. It needs to appeal to a vast majority of readers who can relate to some part of the build. I'll guess there's only a small percentage of readers who would find Jag V 12 drivetrain information useful for their own projects. So while you (and I) might think stuffing a V 12 in it would be cool, it wouldn't provide useful content for most readers.

I'll be honest.  Once the Pink Panther Build ditched the Jag V-12, I lost a lot of interest.  It was still an amazing build and they accomplished quite a bit with it, but it was much more "fun" with the V12 because of the implications....

So while a SBC/SBF build is the easy button (and still a lot of fun with excellent noises), don't discount something crazy to keep readers interested.

David S. Wallens
11/22/21 12:17 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

Only if your bench racing includes fun topics like budgets and deadlines.  

David S. Wallens
11/22/21 12:18 p.m.

Also, looks like Jack enabled me this weekend. What's one more guitar, right? 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/21 12:23 p.m.

Oversized Dekon Monza?

Greenwood-inspired C3?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/21 2:25 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Also, looks like Jack enabled me this weekend. What's one more guitar, right? 

Easier to hide from your wife than a Jaguar racecar?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/22/21 2:41 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

In reply to frenchyd :

You make a valid point, except for variety.  How many articles can you find about Chevies?    Really haven't they been done to death?  
    I mean the whole nature of this magazine is looking at the different.  Not who can spend the most, or with a $200,000 budget this is what can be done.  Rather coming at it from the opposite direction, the way most Grass roots guys do. Look for the overlooked cars.  
         I started this to build a $2000 JaguarV12. For the challenge.  I changed direction,  for life after the challenge. For a little bit more I'll be able to Vintage race.  
But that sort of cost  is in most subscribers  budget or at least their possible budget.  My monthly budget is about $500 
We're talking sub Champ Car, LeMons sort of budget. 
   To vintage race a Camaro  simply isn't. 
    ( I recognize the potential hubris  in that statement but I'm looking at many years of racing rather than simply get on the grid) 

stroker
stroker UberDork
11/22/21 3:05 p.m.

For some reason, this thread has me thinking of watching Dick Trickle's purple Mustang at West Salem Speedway along with Jim Sauter's Camaro and Larry Detjen's Challenger back in the early 70's...  

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EvD4GaVSw4JKrQRxL1RBJROJmmpiHR7tQOrBtaGN2B6tH8oYFxiZDtAdI8GCmFxf