1 2
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/22/23 11:55 a.m.

I have this 28'3" cruiser. With 350 Chevy that might have maybe 500 miles on it?   I've been thinking maybe convert it to an EV?  

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
3/22/23 12:50 p.m.

EV boats exist, but a boat like that is a poor choice for conversion.  Moving a boat quickly (such as that boat, which is meant to run at planing speeds) requires a huge energy input.  But moving a boat slowly takes far less power.  So good candidates for EV boats with currently available battery tech tend to be narrower hulls that aren't meant to plane and are optimized for low speed efficiency.  At 28 feet, your efficient speed with an EV boat is going to be in the 5 - 6 knot (5.7 - 7 mph) range. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
3/22/23 1:19 p.m.

Why not swap in a Jaguar V12 for an increase in smoothness and power potential?

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/22/23 1:20 p.m.

No, frenchy...focus on the Jag.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
3/22/23 1:39 p.m.

The ev conversion would be interesting for a place like jasper national park here in Alberta. Lake Maligne in jasper allows private boats but only of their are non motorized or electric.

11110000 Reader
3/22/23 1:40 p.m.
rslifkin said:

good candidates for EV boats with currently available battery tech tend to be narrower hulls that aren't meant to plane and are optimized for low speed efficiency

This.  Sailboats are going to electric propulsion for the auxillary motor right now.  With lots of real estate for solar panels, this is a nice way to go off the grid.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/22/23 2:17 p.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

That's exactly the speed I like to cruise at.  Well maybe a little slower. Just fast enough for steerageway.    
    My kids are grown up and moved away so no more water skiing  or bobsledding.  Just a slow cruise around to see what our neighbors have done and enjoy the lake. 
  I'm thinking with a 20 hp motor. And a decent bank of batteries hooked to a solar panel on the cabin top. I'd always have a full charge anytime I want to go out.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/22/23 2:20 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Why not swap in a Jaguar V12 for an increase in smoothness and power potential?

The boat will never go excitingly fast. Clean bottom fresh prop it was a 40 mph boat.  I had a runner bottom back when I wanted to do 100+ on the lake. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
3/22/23 2:56 p.m.
frenchyd said:

I have this 28'3" cruiser. With 350 Chevy that might have maybe 500 miles on it?   I've been thinking maybe convert it to an EV?  

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/23 3:31 p.m.

A Jonboat with a trolling motor is already an EV.  Just stick a bigass trolling motor on there with a bunch of deep cell batteries.  

The biggest issue with EVs on the water is the total lack of charging infrastructure, on the water.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
3/22/23 3:34 p.m.

jaaaaaaaaaaaag

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/22/23 3:50 p.m.

Good question.  
 I've owned it since new ( in fact I ordered it in 1978 made and delivered in 1979  

But my wife can no longer get in it and it's just too much work and not any fun to cruise by myself. 
       Conversation with various marina's tell me they don't want it. Last year I tried to get $2000 for it, this winter I tried at $1000.  

This boat is really nice with a beautiful teak interior  sleeps 6  galley & head. 110 shore power And the engine in it has less than 500 miles from a new crate motor.  The stove has never been used. The galley looks nice the head is clean. There is 50+ gallons of premium non oxygenated fuel in the tank (1/2 full) with Stabil. 
    OK some of the cloth upholstery needs replacing, and it has a noisy Gimble bearing.,  plus the instrument's are pretty faded,  the bottom needs a washing, the whole boat will really blossom with a nice polishing,  the engine cover needs replacing  the batteries are4 years old,   All of of the lights need replacing in the cockpit.  
  I figure a DIY guy could spend a few weeks  getting it spic and span  about $2000 for new Gimble  bearing ( guess) oil change, etc and get another 40 + years out of it.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/22/23 3:51 p.m.
Tyler H said:

A Jonboat with a trolling motor is already an EV.  Just stick a bigass trolling motor on there with a bunch of deep cell batteries.  

The biggest issue with EVs on the water is the total lack of charging infrastructure, on the water.

Solar panels!!   They act as nice sun shade. 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/22/23 3:59 p.m.
frenchyd said:

I'm looking at all those bricks and thinking of how many man hours it must have taken to do that driveway. 

nedc
nedc Reader
3/22/23 5:08 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

So was I! 

GeddesB
GeddesB GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/22/23 6:57 p.m.
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/22/23 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

One whole summer. 

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
3/22/23 7:01 p.m.

You can mount these to your trim tabs, yank the motor/outdrive and replace with batteries and away you go.

Slowly.

https://www.perfprotech.com/electric-troll-n-tab-tnt-system-drive-unit-single-unit-622-10956024-622-10956024/product/33737

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/23 11:22 p.m.

I have thought about this a good bit.  Boats suck power hardcore.  I would venture that the 350 gets about 1 mpg at cruise.  That is likely what is keeping boat manufacturers from going all electric.  I think range would be an issue.

However, if you're just looking to putter around, why not find a Leaf at copart or LKQ and strip out the goodies.  Stash the batteries somewhere and rig up a coupler to mount the drive motor where the 350 used to be.

Likely not that easy.  You are mixing some pretty high voltage with a very wet environment.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/23 11:25 p.m.

In reply to 67LS1 :

I have one of these on a 19' I/O bowrider.  It's borderline.  It makes a nice trolling speed, but if you get even a 5-10 mph wind, it's useless.  The wind will blow the bow off course faster than you can counter it.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/23 12:17 a.m.

Start here: Electric Inboard Motors

Then get ready to spend *real* money.

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
3/23/23 12:58 a.m.
frenchyd said:

Good question.  
 I've owned it since new ( in fact I ordered it in 1978 made and delivered in 1979  

But my wife can no longer get in it and it's just too much work and not any fun to cruise by myself. 
       Conversation with various marina's tell me they don't want it. Last year I tried to get $2000 for it, this winter I tried at $1000.  

This boat is really nice with a beautiful teak interior  sleeps 6  galley & head. 110 shore power And the engine in it has less than 500 miles from a new crate motor.  The stove has never been used. The galley looks nice the head is clean. There is 50+ gallons of premium non oxygenated fuel in the tank (1/2 full) with Stabil. 
    OK some of the cloth upholstery needs replacing, and it has a noisy Gimble bearing.,  plus the instrument's are pretty faded,  the bottom needs a washing, the whole boat will really blossom with a nice polishing,  the engine cover needs replacing  the batteries are4 years old,   All of of the lights need replacing in the cockpit.  
  I figure a DIY guy could spend a few weeks  getting it spic and span  about $2000 for new Gimble  bearing ( guess) oil change, etc and get another 40 + years out of it.  

I was just given a 1985 Century Cardel. 454 V-Drive, nice trailer with disc brakes. The guy tried to sell it for $9k for a couple years and got frustrated and just gave it to me.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
3/23/23 6:29 a.m.

I would think a pontoon boat would be better than an EV conversion for what you want to do.

Depending on the dock, it may make it possible for your wife to board and join you for an afternoon cruise. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/23/23 7:57 a.m.

We have a pontoon boat.  Its what we take when it's just us 2. On the 4th of July and when we have big gatherings. It's not big enough.  
Plus it doesn't have a head ( bathroom to you land crabs)  or galley.  Or sleeping accommodations. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
3/23/23 9:36 a.m.

There are these guys: https://duffyboats.com/

But as mentioned, they're optimized to be slow and efficient. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H3u1Jz9yFBYdkK4fXEvVdc9B9LBfRe5NUJTeb66Jbe6jTuEJH8ZPxyvCKUYLztx2