1 2
VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/23/23 10:13 a.m.
frenchyd said:

We have a pontoon boat.  Its what we take when it's just us 2. On the 4th of July and when we have big gatherings. It's not big enough.  
Plus it doesn't have a head ( bathroom to you land crabs)  or galley.  Or sleeping accommodations. 

Sleeping accommodations? How big is that lake in Minneapolis? Your trailer is probably worth $1000, boat for free. My friend had a 1970s Reinnel 21' cuddy cabin boat. It was a great boat and in good shape. He tried to sell it to me for $1000, but I need that whale like another hole in the head. He finally found some fool that wanted it for free. Similar to this.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/23/23 12:47 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Lake Minnetonka is Over 14,500 square acres. Holds over 5 million gallons of water.   With 26 named bays.   Start cruising around the shoreline Saturday morning and I doubt I'd be finished by Sunday  evening.  At full throttle it takes hours to get from one end to the other.  ( well there are several closed throttle areas ) 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/23/23 1:18 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Lake Minnetonka is Over 14,500 square acres. Holds over 5 million gallons of water.   With 26 named bays.   Start cruising around the shoreline Saturday morning and I doubt I'd be finished by Sunday  evening.  At full throttle it takes hours to get from one end to the other.  ( well there are several closed throttle areas ) 

Do you have 3 tons of extra weight capacity in your boat?

Let's say your 350 is making around 300 hp at full throttle.  That's about 225 kw, so to run an electric motor at max power for 2 hours you'd need 450 kwh of energy.  The Hummer EV battery pack is about half that capacity (212 kwh), and weighs around 3000 pounds, so you'd probably need two of them to get that kind of range.  (They cost around $20K each)

Solar would help a little bit, but not all that much.  Let's say you can put a solar array "roof" on it measuring 10 foot by 20 foot.  That's 200 square feet, and at 20 watts/sqare foot it'll make 4kw (at noon with ideal conditions). 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/23 7:48 p.m.

why would you want a weak electric motor and a ton of batteries or an Anemic little 350 when you can have 3600hp and monitor your  fuel usage in gallons per minute?

Honestly, I have a Epropulsion Spirit electric Outboard waiting to go on my 17 foot sailboat. Hopefully I will get it in the water this year.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/23/23 8:33 p.m.

Are you still wanting to sell it?  I might buy. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/23/23 8:47 p.m.

I follow a YouTube couple who had a sailboat they converted to EV.  In perfect south Florida conditions (a lot of sun), they could cruise at about 4 knots on the motor using only what the solar panel was putting back into the ten Battle Born batteries. It was also a sailboat. And a relatively small and light one at that (about 19'). 

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
3/23/23 9:29 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Hmmm, I double checked and yup, got a few digits wrong there, 14,500 acre-feet (an acre of water one foot deep) is 4,724,845,691 gallons, or roughly five billion. Also, no lake is one foot deep, to multiply accordingly!

VolvoHeretic
3/23/23 9:56 p.m.

Pretty cool lake. Wikipedia.org: Lake Minnetonka

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/23/23 10:02 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

The deep spots are over 90' at least according to the depth gauge on the pontoon.  But a lot of it is relatively shallow.  100ft out the the end of my dock it's typically 4 feet deep or so.   It's varied in the  50 years I've lived  from 6+ feet to less than 6 inches. 
 I first started coming here in 1953 and have loved the place ever since.  
 I remember as a kid I would catch frogs  and go to a little store/bait shop and trade them for candy. 
 There was a bar near by that had a dock out over the water and people would drink and eat lunches etc there. A few times a week I'd go underneath looking for dropped coins etc.  one time I found a $5 bill  which for a young kid was like winning the lottery.  
     My favorite thing was driving Archie's Chris Craft.   That was a 48 footer with 3 Allison V12  engines in it. Laid  out like they were on WW2 PT boats.  I don't believe this was ever a PT boat, just one built using surplus engines. 
    The sound that made when both engines were running was something you will never forget. ( Archie never ran the 3 engine. Running two it was gulping fuel like a whale.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/23/23 10:22 p.m.
mad_machine said:

why would you want a weak electric motor and a ton of batteries or an Anemic little 350 when you can have 3600hp and monitor your  fuel usage in gallons per minute?

Honestly, I have a Epropulsion Spirit electric Outboard waiting to go on my 17 foot sailboat. Hopefully I will get it in the water this year.

Archie's Chris Craft used just 3 engines.  3 Packard v12's.  That's what ?  7500 cu inches?   

VolvoHeretic
3/23/23 10:59 p.m.

Are those 6 azimuth drives above?

mad_machine
3/24/23 8:24 a.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

Are those 6 azimuth drives above?

they appear to be, along with contra-rotating props on each. 

I also looked them up. Those engines are 7.6l v12s. So that is 72 cylinders and 45.6 litres combined. I think that is 2782 cubic inches.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
3/24/23 8:53 a.m.

Those are all the new Mercury Verado V12, 600hp, only the lower unit rotates to turn, not the whole engine.  

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
3/24/23 10:27 a.m.

I found a comment that Each of the above engines is $77K.  $462K just for engines... a different world.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
3/24/23 10:53 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

The Packards were 1650 ci so three would be a total of 4950 ci - or 3300 ci since he was only running two.

Allisons were 1710 ci so 5130 ci for 3 or 3420 ci for two.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
3/24/23 10:54 a.m.
mad_machine said:

That's awesome! Any details on the boat itself?

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
3/24/23 11:03 a.m.
mad_machine said:

why would you want a weak electric motor and a ton of batteries or an Anemic little 350 when you can have 3600hp and monitor your  fuel usage in gallons per minute?...

Oh but Mercury points out that these engines are 20% more efficient than the V8 models, so there's that.

mad_machine
3/24/23 12:00 p.m.
Racingsnake said:That's awesome! Any details on the boat itself?

take peek. At 6 million dollars, I think most people can afford to look at the website. Those engines are $75k each.

https://hcbyachts.com/estrella/

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/24/23 2:53 p.m.
Racingsnake said:

In reply to frenchyd :

The Packards were 1650 ci so three would be a total of 4950 ci - or 3300 ci since he was only running two.

Allisons were 1710 ci so 5130 ci for 3 or 3420 ci for two.

Sorry.  Common misconception.  In fact that's what I thought until I just looked it up. While Packard did make copies of the Merlin for the aviation market.
     These were built specifically for the Navy  earlier than the copies of the Merlin.  and are M2500   they were a development of the L series Packard V12's which was a 90 degree V12 used in WW1.   These were 60 degree V12's called the M 2500 series.  The first ones were A series and not a lot were made.  Everything  after the A- the B,C, & D  was supercharged. I think the contract was for 25,000 engines.   

Archie's  Chris Craft had 3 engines. I never heard all three running at once  only rarely did I hear both running. But they had 6  big 5" brass exhaust pipes.   The sound, the burbling sound , is just such a mellow authoritarian sound you'd never forget it.  
     If you ever watch the movie "They were Expendable"  in stereo  you can hear it. 
      In fact Archie became extremely thrifty about even running 1, since they used about as much fuel as a firehouse.  
 He'd wait until everybody was on the boat and fully seated, lines off the dock. Then he'd start one  up, idle it ( in gear) until the oil gauge got to where it was supposed to be. Then open the throttle up just enough  to get up on plane.   As he approached the dock at the Amusement park he'd shut off the engine and gently coast to a stop a few feet from the dock and let the line handlers pull him in. 
   This was back when premium gas was a quarter a gallon.  I think his fuel tanks were 200   gallons each.  

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
3/24/23 2:59 p.m.

Decades ago there was a PBS documentary called "Of Wind and Wood", all about sailboats and power boats, specifically, full-custom ones. One of them had twin Lambo V12's and near the end of the show, they showed it pulling out. What a magnificent sound. What was this thread about again?

mad_machine
3/24/23 6:39 p.m.

My late father was the last engineer aboard the Flying Saucer, A WW2 PT boat converted to carrying 90 paying passengers. 

She was a higgens boat with three 1200hp supercharged Packard engines.  I wish I knew what he did with the intake, but it was kicking around his garage and shed for decades. You could literally put both fists past the throttle plates when fully opened. On her last paying trip, she split her inner hull from the outer.  Ocean City and the USCG hated that boat, she could not throw a wake until out past the bridge and into the inlet.

That last trip, Chris, the captain and owner, was just opening up the throttles when a smaller speedboat cut right under her bow. They did this All. The. Time. Chris slammed the throttles closed and then firewalled them as soon as the boat was clear. The Saucer screamed, literally stood up on her stern and churned up all sorts of muck off of the bottom, and jumped out of the water. What was usually a 90 minute trip (from dock to dock and from one end of Ocean City and back) took less than an hour. I know, I was there. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nKVnv7oBGKIquBT3EDZEqYV0ph6o9XWPSCZFQTRqrKyueNVRj3O29hFlArJXtKvE