1 2
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/21 1:42 p.m.

Also, are there any plans for team merchandise? I know the diecast models are a bit of an undertaking and result in a product that has almost no profit margin, but I'd be up for a tee shirt or hoodie if they became available for sale to support the efforts. I honestly and truly feel that this effort in the future will be seen as having historical significance.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/21 1:45 p.m.

It's significant that this sort of effort showed up at Thunderhill first and not Le Mans.

12/5/21 1:48 p.m.

Was the motor temperature management an expected concern or is it a new developmental wrinkle that's needing to be managed? I expected potential battery temperature concerns, hence my initial question, but I wouldn't have expected motor temperature concerns. 

My curiosity has to regards if it is an unexpected concern is due to knowing if it's unexpected that you obviously manage it through the event and then afterwards work towards adjustments in design redevelopment towards corrective measures, especially when a concern was unforeseen. That is always one of the most beneficial aspects to motorsports that layman sometimes don't realize, you learn of a concern and redevelop a correction to improve performance, reliability and or efficiency. 

12/5/21 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

And not by Acura/Honda as well. 

JENNEVSR
JENNEVSR New Reader
12/5/21 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Send an email to info@evsr

We have long sleeve crew tees and sweatshirts too

JENNEVSR
JENNEVSR New Reader
12/5/21 2:02 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

We like to say we use CAD , cardboard aided design

The motors haven't never been under this demand.  We have a bmw E36. Small diff .  Rear motor is linear right into the diff and the rear motor goes linear into the front motor.  The rear motor has been our issue. We are managing it just fine and we plan on having some very very good news at 3:00 PST

Keith Tanner
12/5/21 2:21 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

They're swapping engines and transmissions, not batteries :)

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
12/5/21 2:48 p.m.

I drew more cooling in the designwink I am kind of surprised we did not find the cooling issue earlier given the number of racing miles that have been run here in the east.

JENNEVSR
JENNEVSR New Reader
12/5/21 3:21 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

This is a limitation of the motor, not air flow.

BTW, people are in love with Harry!  You designed a very beautiful car and we're lucky to have you!

Keith Tanner
12/5/21 7:13 p.m.

Looks like a solid 29th out of 36 entries, right where they were for most of the race - they came back from 34th early on. That's a fantastic result. 

Jenn, how much useable capacity did the battery packs have? I'm wondering what the energy consumption was at racing speeds. 

JENNEVSR
JENNEVSR New Reader
12/5/21 7:22 p.m.

While we have a 28 KW hour pack we end up with about 25 usable at race pace which was giving us 42 MI of range at our Enduro pace

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
12/5/21 7:27 p.m.

I'll chime in here because Jen is probably really busy packing up for the trip back to Pennsylvania. I would first like to remind everyone that this car uses lithium ferrous phosphate batteries, not LiOn. This is to appease some east coast track owners, and reduce the fire risk below that of a gas car. I can not give you numbers on the kilowatts used or  available though, as I have never been current on the electrical technology. It does race well in a Spec Racer field at Summit Point, NJMP or Lime Rock, maintaining pace with the field for a 30 minute race.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
12/5/21 7:28 p.m.

And Jen posted numbers while I was typing. I need to remember them..

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/21 7:38 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

They're swapping engines and transmissions, not batteries :)

One of my Mazda friends was involved with campaigning Hondas at the 25 Hours.  He said that a Honda engine is good for 22 hours of racing, and they could expect to have to replace pretty much every moving part as maintenance.

He also LOL'd at a factory assisted BMW effort where they were playing musical engines.  IIRC they were running a 328d or two.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/5/21 8:55 p.m.

Forgive me if this has been answered... how many battery packs were in the total rotation to keep the car running during the event?  1 set in the car, 1 ready to go in, ?? on charger(s)?

I think Knurled's comment brings up an interesting point.  In race hours aren't most street car (not factory Honda apparently) engines in the 50-100 hours range before needing a refresh?  Whats the amount of time needed before a major system refresh on the EVSR?  I'm assuming the motor itself is good for much much longer, but what about the battery packs?  Any data on that?

JENNEVSR
JENNEVSR New Reader
12/5/21 9:33 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I am the Media person and not a Honda expert :)

But we did bring 10 packs of batteries.  Each pack is 50 cells, 25 in a box on either side of the driver.

So the batteries and charging system we have didn't encounter a single glitch. Our rear motor, which is linked directly into the diff, was getting a lot of heat feedback from the front motor. These motors have never run this long. We did do a 5-hour practice Enduro before driving out here and the temperatures didn't concern us then. After 6 or 7 hours in california, the motor in the rear certainly did have some overheating issues. We adjusted our cooling program and we made checker just like everybody else :)

JENNEVSR
JENNEVSR New Reader
12/6/21 11:15 a.m.

Regarding service cycles on the components, while we have had the occasional failure, in normal service the motors seem to last indefinitely. We have an 8-year-old motor with hundreds of races on it still in service. We have never broken a diff.  Our first set of batteries lasted 5 years, but with improved cooling and a much better understanding of charging techniques we expect more life out of our next sets,

Overall, the lack of shock loading from shifting, lifting, and aggressive accelerative loads, even the suspension components last longer than a similar internal combustion car. In our hundreds of races over the past 8 years we have worn out to drive shafts, never had a wheel bearing, ball joint, or any other suspension failures, and the maintenance of the vehicle is about 40% that of any other we have ever owned or serviced

Keith Tanner
12/6/21 12:00 p.m.

The lack of shock loading is really interesting. I've heard claims like that for large displacement vs small turbo engines, but never for EVs.

How much do the drivers have to adjust their driving style? Are you using any regenerative braking at all?

Any plans for a next-generation car that gets rid of the ring and pinion and the associated inefficiency? If you don't have to turn the power 90*, you get to use more of it to drive the car.

JENNEVSR
JENNEVSR New Reader
12/7/21 10:02 a.m.

Hola!  I am making, and posting, some videos on Facebook and YouTube that answer some of your questions.  I really don't check this forum often, so if you have a question we don't address, please email jenn@evsr.net and I will try my best!  Thanks for all of your support!

https://youtu.be/8E8LhUa_34Q

Keith Tanner
12/7/21 10:26 a.m.

Thanks, that's quite interesting! Particularly the bit about balancing speed vs energy usage - that's a very endurance racing mindset.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SGWDltEoqNmGYF0KAolc0vsAtjdv8LEKLelDDTkpO3LYU5mtLLtoomQZZT2s0MFv