JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/29/14 10:27 a.m.

First, a ground rule: We’re going to do our best to get through this entire story about a shiny, bright-red Dodge Viper GTS without a single use of the word “douchebag.” Starting now.

In fact, we recommend abandoning all your negative beliefs about Viper ownership immediately. While there may be some truth to the stereotypes, for the purposes of this …

Read the rest of the story

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
12/11/14 8:08 a.m.

Really cool article, gang! It's always nice to read about something being used at the opposite end of the spectrum from where it was designed to operate. More specifically, since we often read about Miatas and Volvos prepped for racing, it's nice to read about something that can hold its own on a race track right out of the box being used for the mundane.

I've seen how easy and inexpensive these Vipers really are to maintain (I think my light switch came from a pickup truck of some sort), but I wonder how this article would translate to a car that requires the engine to be removed for an oil change? Are there other exotic cars out there that seem really bad life, but are actually reasonable to own and drive? The entire brand of Ferrari comes to mind, since an everyman can now buy something like a 1990 Testarrosa for less than the cost of a new BMW Z4.

Really. It's true. Look it up. You'll find one--maybe from the late 80s... but they're in the $40,000 range.

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
12/11/14 8:10 a.m.

It's funny how my comment in your article section ended up on the forum... I think that's kind of cool, actually.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
12/11/14 8:25 a.m.

Drives me nuts. Context separation. I have no idea what's going on.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
12/11/14 8:44 a.m.

Nice to hear the newest Viper is more livable as an everyday supercar. I owned a '99 GTS. No, it wasn't my daily driver, but no way on earth would I have wanted it to be. It had the wide sills, like all do, but that wasn't the biggest problem. The driving experience was not fun for anything more than 20 minutes. Seating position was awkward at best, steering would tramline over the tiniest ruts, it was hot (though a/c coped with it just fine).

That's not to say the car was all negative. It was probably the sexiest of the 70-something cars I've ever owned. I couldn't go anywhere without cell phone pictures being taken, people following me, etc...stopping for gas was a gauranteed 10 minute stop with all the questions. It was fast and fun for a short ride. But definitely a trophy car, not a daily driver.

I'd sure like to sample the new one...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
12/11/14 9:27 a.m.

Used mine as a track car and daily for 24000 miles between the two of them. Absolutely can be used as a DD. Love the cars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hk1iMge5lOE2CbqVHUTwHIQU5jJIcj7iiZ0cALlQFcVn73qm5uSgAqCxp4rm1ptA