1 2
Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
1/20/09 11:09 p.m.

I too have thought about building pretty much exactly that.

the $58k (42k GBP) for a turnkey is beyond the budget scope of most of the forum regulars on here. What is the "kit" price if you also would sell that way?

Has any crash testing been done on it? (for note I have some FSAE experience) The front pretty much looks to be a radiator hanging off the front (not too much energy dissipation) and a bulkhead being all that is in front of your feet. I am just wondering how much thought was put into that aspect.

How much track time is on the design to present?

Have performance data for us to drool over?

as a constructive criticism for your truly awsome site, you might consider adding a section about safety and design improvements over the vintage cars.

Where did you place the fuel tank on the car?

Beyond my questions, thank you for actually making what ive daydreamed about for the last 2 years!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
1/20/09 11:33 p.m.

Wow. That looks like it'll do Zero to Tree in about 3.2 seconds.

ianstg
ianstg New Reader
1/21/09 3:41 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:thanks for your comments , the car is a finished prototype at present , will be shaking down over the next couple of months and pushing the limits once the wet stuff goes away !-

The chassis exceptionally strong and protective - there are 2 tig welded box bulkheads at the front which are specifically arranged to protect the drivers lower leg and feet , its difficult for pictures to show the scale / strength in the construction , all tubes are 2 inch od 2 mm wall . At the recent Autosport show where we presented a chassis alongside the finished car the main comments were about the excessive strength of the construction - somewhat contrary to the originals !!

The majority of racing damage is caused by tangential impacts which tend to damage the corners of the car and the wishbones have been designed to fold up and shear rather than impact the main structure .

The fuel tank is in the triangular area behind the drivers back and is protected massively from intrusion , the tank is around 6 gallons , which will be around 30 mins runtime , plenty for most people !!

whilst we will not be offering a kit as such i would provide a car complete less engine and gearbox simply because not everyone is going to be chevy friendly , we allready are talking to customers about v12 installations etc etc , ( though personally id rather make them all the same as would love to have a spec series where everyone gets the same toys - )

the import duty situation would mean that sending cars to you in that way would be more cost effective , the motors and gearboxes are usa based supply anyway , long term would prefer to set up manufacture in the usa if sales volumes can justify it .

anyway thanks for your input - ill post some video links and further info as things progress

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/21/09 6:58 p.m.

Simply awesome! A nice website and a promising-looking design for the car. I am a fan of modern cars, but there is something magical about the F1 cars from the era just before downforce...both the purity of the lines and the vehicle dynamics which put more emphasis on driver skill rather than emphasis on both driver skill and the skill of the engineers with their wind tunnels.

In short, I have always felt that maximum fun and the purest driving comes from limited grip and minimal aero...well done!

silverfox
silverfox
5/15/09 1:24 p.m.

I have owned and run a major motorsport company in the U.K. for over 25 years and have had dealings with Ian from Stuart Taylor Motorsport beginning some 8 years ago. I have to say that once again they have somehow managed to catch me unawares with this car. All I have to say is well done. Form an orderly queue (behind me) A pure racing car just exactly as it should be from what I personaly remember as the golden years of Formula One. ZERO driver aids ZERO downforce ZERO excuses, you can drive, or you cannot.

If the point of a championship is to see who CAN drive then this HAS to be the way to do it.

On a personal point: To Ian at Stuart Taylor Motorsport. Carry on chap, keep doing what you do best if they don't "get it" with this one they never will.

Silver Fox

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
5/15/09 9:06 p.m.

That thing is phenominal!

I love everything about it. Hopefully one day I'll be able to drop that kind of money on track toy.

Again, great work!

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
5/15/09 10:05 p.m.

that's been a fond dream of mine for quite a while...[sigh]

ianstg
ianstg New Reader
5/16/09 11:47 a.m.

Hello america - Update as follows , having now completed 2 full track test sessions trouble free have some new footage on the website / youtube : www.f1-67.com under 'track diary ' - regards - ian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=128OpWDxw64

stroker
stroker New Reader
5/16/09 8:41 p.m.
ianstg wrote: Hello america - Update as follows , having now completed 2 full track test sessions trouble free have some new footage on the website / youtube : www.f1-67.com under 'track diary ' - regards - ian http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=128OpWDxw64

Lose the flippin' music and let us listen to the engine!

ianstg
ianstg New Reader
5/17/09 12:49 a.m.

if you look at the other 4 videos on the website under 'track diary' section they are without any musical soundtrack , sadly the sound is poor - still working on getting a cleaner sound recording -

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MAG7I1Rp8SoFZUK1ApZRYMz5SXExMkzAfwglIPNsGst6LCRup3V9Y443czuerbZa