amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/14/23 12:59 p.m.

I keep seeing some odd E36 M3 on marketplace. For example, a few different people have listed Harbor Freight jacks that normally sell for $150 for much higher 

And don't get me started on the endless stream of  "is this still available" messages you receive, say "yes" and never get another response to. 

I miss when Craigslist was popular...

johndej
johndej SuperDork
3/14/23 1:35 p.m.

You pay for what you get, its a free listing. The ones that got me recently were people trying to unload ski resort lift tickets the day after the resort had to close prematurely for lack of mid Atlantic snow.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/14/23 4:00 p.m.

The whole world has gone crazy.

The latest scam I keep seeing on IG: Accounts selling ’80s BMX bikes. “DM for price.”

Oddly, though, all of the photos of the bikes are taken in different locations. And if you google some of the ad text, you quickly find that the photos and info have been lifted from BMX Museum.... (Still waiting for my bikes to show up, although I’m sure they have already.)

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/14/23 4:07 p.m.

Last night I found ads for a chicken tender "shaped like a hatchet" for $1,500 and a chicken nugget "shaped like the U.S." for $2,000. So yeah..... Facebook is Facebook.

David S. Wallens
3/15/23 10:10 a.m.

In reply to itsarebuild :

Link?

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/23 10:17 a.m.
itsarebuild said:

Last night I found ads for a chicken tender "shaped like a hatchet" for $1,500 and a chicken nugget "shaped like the U.S." for $2,000. So yeah..... Facebook is Facebook.

Guilty. My son saw a YouTube video claiming that people were selling chicken nuggets for thousands of dollars. He got a nugget that looked like something, I can't recall what but I certainly didn't see the resemblance. But he was convinced that it was worth a fortune and begged me to list it on Craigslist for him. I explained how the world worked, but he was not swayed, so we listed it. I mean, what's the harm, right?  It eventually sold for $1200 and he was so happy!

Just kidding, it did not sell. At least he learned a lesson about believing what you see on YouTube Shorts. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/15/23 10:26 a.m.

I saw a carpet advertised on MP yesterday for $120.

In the ad was a pic of an Amazon listing for the same carpet for $175 as a comparison.

I don't know how Amazon works in your country but here, for some things, many of the ads are either uncompetitive, or grossly inflated prices.

It's $30 at Lowes Depot all day long

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/15/23 10:30 a.m.

I have the impression that a startling amount of the population more or less regards Facebook as "the Internet."

If you don't know where else to look, maybe you end up paying for whatever Marketplace provides.

We all end up paying for that kind of blinkered view, though.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/16/23 9:52 a.m.

$100 on marketplace

They're $50 new.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/16/23 4:48 p.m.

I needed an engine stand. I probably will only use it once in my lifetime, so was loathe to buy a new one at Hobo Freight. They go for about $120 new.  Everyone on FB wanted 75 or more for them, and the cheap ones were the old, crappy kind with one 'front' wheel that love to tip and fall over if they hit a zip tie on the floor. 

Found one on Craigslist for $50, never used. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/16/23 4:53 p.m.

Really, other than the moral component of inflating the cost to stupid people...  

There is very little difference between that and people at a live, in person auction sale.  Starting bid for a used, cheap thing is full retail, then up from there.  Must be a deal, though, because auction.

David S. Wallens
3/17/23 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

“The energy in the room.”

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/17/23 2:51 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

You're not wrong but it's just absurd to some people

mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
3/17/23 3:30 p.m.

The 'best' Aprilia RS250 group is just overrun with scammers.  Every single "I'm looking for X" post gets responses "DM me!" from rando accounts.  Lots of stuff for sale that's obviously fake too.  The admin shows up once in a while to do nothing.  I really don't understand - just pass the baton to someone else.  You're not making money off a group with 1,000 members and 14,000 bots or whatever.

There's a perfectly great forum (af1) but everyone uses zucker-book.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/17/23 4:54 p.m.

FB groups are a mess. I admin one for Ford Falcons. It's a dicatatorship, and I pride myself on swiftly blocking anyone who does a poor job of trying not to look like a scammer.  It really isn't difficult after awhile. Most of these morons have easy 'tells' in their answers to my filter questions and never even get in. Too many people start groups and then just let them exist without really administering them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sebHlLlFOFNylm0MomADojpY56HXc0PjEoMtUOX5rFtT2dtR2NaxM9MyPOUvLAeS