DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
5/20/09 7:43 p.m.

Ok, I have two, and they are both street races. The first came about 13 or 14 years ago. I was on Telegraph Road, north-bound at 8 mile. I was in the #2 lane or a 4 lane road. I'm in my bone stock 4 cylinder Wrangler on 30's. Next to me pulls a late 80's Countach. I'm in heaven now! Then next to him (#4 lane) pulls a 3000 GT. The mitsu wanto to race BAD. The Lambo revs it a few times so I know it's on. The cross traffic light turns yellow so I tack it up to 3,000 RPM and LAUNCH!!! More axle hop than you'd believe! Well, the GT launches hard and the lambo just sits there.....then when I'm about the other side of the intersection (6 lanes in all) the Lambo launches HARD. My holy god did he ever giddyup! When he passed me he was hitting redline I'm sure, right next to my door-less Jeep. The whine of the gears hurt my ears and the booming from the italion V-12 was amazing! Needless to say the GT was left in the dust. I was in heaven for weeks! I have another tale to tell, I'll save that for tomorrow.

BTW, I wasn't racing the lambo or the mitsu, I just wanted to get a head start so I could hear the fury as much as possible.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo New Reader
5/20/09 8:41 p.m.

i was at the 1/4, in my 13.30's bracket turbo coupe T-bird. i was lined up for race #1 with a caddillac CTS-V. 6 speed, vette motor, custom exhaust, dyno tune, custom upper intake, throttle body and caold air kit. the guy had dyno sheets claiming 668 HP, and over 750lb ft. his dial in is 10.960, mines 13.30. we are up for the 1st of three shake downs before competition. .500 tree, even stage, straight up. light goes green, and i SCHOOL his ass off the tree, 001. compared to .326. i beat him to the 330 by a car length, grab second, and hope i can catch him to the 1000ft. i can hear him coming, but i cant see him. i hit the 1000ft, and im still winning. JUST as i go through the traps, he goes flying by me at over 120mph, but i got the win light. i beat a 90+ thousand dollar caddy with $20 grand worth of mods in a $4000 20 year old bird.

turns out, he ran it with TCS off. he spun 1,2 and 3, and shivered in 4th. i hooked solid, caught every gear spot on, and ran a 13.31 @101. against his 13.47 @122.

i beat a $100,000 car...

-J0N

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Reader
5/20/09 9:00 p.m.

Didnt think the CTS-V was 90K

skruffy
skruffy Dork
5/20/09 9:54 p.m.

I ran an R1 in my nitroused miata. He gave me a 10 second head start...

He passed me at what must have been 150 mph about 15 seconds later. It was awesome.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
5/20/09 10:14 p.m.

Coming home from the NASCAR/Busch series race at Milwaukee Mile a few years ago, a car load of teens in a Mits Evo were bouncing it off the rev limiter at a light. Mrs. RMD, The Boy and I were in Mrs. RMD's '01 LS1 Camaro SS.

There was no other traffic around.

Light turned green, I slipped the clutch and got the jump. The Boy in the back seat was certainly helping the traction department. Had the Evo through second gear, so I backed off. Evo kids screamed past us at around 90mph. Over the hill, a cop was waiting in a parking lot with his fancy camera.

Not only did the kid get beat by a Camaro, he got busted.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/20/09 10:54 p.m.

Dover Downs, September 1988. Dale won. That was back when NASCAR was still actually racing. I was 15 for that trip and my dad snuck me into a titty bar. That whole trip was one of those stories that will make it into a screenplay one day. You'll watch the movie and won't believe that any of it could happen in real life, but when you see a movie that involves NASCAR racing, a 15-year-old in a topless bar, sneaking into the races for free, eating for free, and drinking for free, you'll know the whole story.

Indy 500 with pit passes 2006. Don't remember who won, but I do recall going to see the new Ford race engine running on a stand. Wicked.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/09 10:55 p.m.

Heh, the kids just don't learn. If I beat you off the line and to the speed limit, you're done. Blowing by after I've let off does not equal a win.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/21/09 6:53 a.m.

My favorite was driving up Secor road near Alexis in Toledo, Ohio. I had just finished putting the new 5.8L in the Ranger and was running it up the road to make sure there were no issues. A local Lightning owner pulled up next to me and started rapping the throttle... This should be good!

Just prior to the light going green I happen to notice the globe of one of Toledotuckys finest...

The light goes green and I gently roll into the throttle but Lightning boy launches like he thinks he's in a ProMod car and gets the shock of his life as the sirens and lights come on.

Three weeks later he thought he would race me at Milan Dragway heads up for the amount of the fine he had to pay.

His Lightning ran a 12.07 versus the Rangers 11.71 and on the return path you could here the rod knocking... He was running a nitrous shot versus my all motor run. Poor guy couldn't win.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
5/21/09 7:10 a.m.
fiat22turbo wrote: Heh, the kids just don't learn. If I beat you off the line and to the speed limit, you're done. Blowing by after I've let off does not equal a win.

well then theres the guys who'll jump on you, then shut it down as soon as they start getting pulled so they don't have the shame of getting reeled in.

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
5/21/09 7:39 a.m.

My other story isn't so much a race as it's just an amazing automotive experience. I was coming home from work, my path home took me on a very familiar road that is very twisty and FUN. I"ve driven it 100's of times and know it like the back of my hand. I was at a light in my 97 Jetta. Stock expect exhaust and chip. In the next lane and a few cars up from me is a NIIIICE E-type. I just want to drink in the noise of that motor so I jump off the light to keep up with him. The road is about 5 miles and PERFECT for spirited driving. Anyway, I'm right behind the Jag through every corner. I'm at 8/10ths and I bet he's at 6.5/10ths. He pushes it harder and so do I. I'm at 9/10ths now easily. The road straightens and with a little puff of blue smoke he leaves me behind. I catch up to him (I'm sure he let me though) and we play follow-the-jag for another mile or two. At the end of the road I'm just elated!! I pull up next to the Jag to thank him and it's David E Davis!! I just smile, hollar "thank you sir" and he gives me a thumbs-up. What a drive, what a car and what a guy!

RobL
RobL Reader
5/21/09 9:19 a.m.

Many years ago, I was 16 and had a '68 Chevelle that my Dad and I had built for me to drive to school. The trip was 20 miles each way and on the PA turnpike. He understood that driving and merging onto the PATP was a pain and so we built a 454 big block (headers, duals, balanced, camed, Holly carb and intake, all the fixings) with a 4 on the floor so that I would have options.

Anyway... I was cruising back from a friends house one morning on the turnpike when I pass a brand new ZR1 convertable - top down, guy trying to impress the long haired blonde sitting next to him. I go by at about 80. He switches lanes and gets right on my bumper. I could only see his windshield, he was that close. I drop a gear and floor it. 90, 100, 110, 120, and then I top out around 125. He's still back there and staying that close. We are in the leftmost lane and 2' away from the Jersey barriers. So, I move over to let him go. As I'm moving to the right, I'm not entirely sure what caused this (wind, he twitched, slipstream), but his car hits the Jersey barriers. I saw sparks fly off a ZR1. I watch in the rearview as his car fishtails across 3 lanes at 100+mph. I saw him stop it on the side of the road and I just kept going.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/21/09 10:47 a.m.

Mine's a hare scramble where I out dragged a guy down a fence line. I could see his front fender under my left elbow as we were absolutely FLYING along this fence, there was a 180 degree left hander at the end. Since it was the second lap we both knew the fence and turn was there. So we are doing probably 70 MPH side by side, he's on the inside, it became a contest of who would chicken out first.

He did.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/21/09 12:36 p.m.

human

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Reader
5/21/09 1:01 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: human

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
5/21/09 1:08 p.m.

Me in a Ferrari 355 spyder, messing with a civic ricer kid with altezzas, chromies for the homies, ect... both sitting at the stop light, he starts revving, i build the rpms up, light turns green, he rockets off bouncing off the limiter in first, second, third, i stay back a car length just to mess with him. I let him win. We end up at the next stop light and he is screaming!!! I could only laugh...

laz
laz New Reader
5/31/09 11:49 p.m.

Street racing? I'm too old and responsible for those types of hijinks.

For me, Spec E30 race earlier this year at Infineon in the rain. I spun like a jackass more than once, but gathered it up and ripped through the pack. I even have video: http://vimeo.com/3285877

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch New Reader
6/1/09 7:24 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg12BMudcD8

72 (i think) camaro lined up next to me (lots of imports there that day and some of the muscle guys were angry so many of us were there-for a meet). the guy gives me a kinda dirty look, and his buddy is next to him with a video camera, pointing at me, kinda laughing, getting ready to tape his launch. this was my first run of the day, and i was a bit off. still havent figured the whole car out, but shooting for 10s this year

you see what happens. LAFF LAFF LAFF. he ended up giving me a thumbs up, and was cool later that day. good times.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT New Reader
6/1/09 2:24 p.m.

Phoenix International Raceway, December, 2005. Rain in Phoenix! I'm racing the Spec Miata in a mixed group race. Pole is an ex-World Challenge Integra, I'm well back in the mixed field. I move up to 6th in the first half lap then pass four cars on the outside of the oval to take 2nd after the first lap. Went on to the overall win, lapping almost the entire field. There was a lot of talk about "perfect rain tires;" I was on shaved Toyo RA1s. I didn't even own rain tires!

David

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IqLXXbrCYP0q8NYw1VshaHGQtv9jozyV3nE7qsiiWkVBDQpraNGjkFXeUEKcPNy2