mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/29/20 11:32 p.m.

Looking for some real world experiences if any of you have some on these tires. Much appreciated on the hive's experience. 

Usage:

• Twisty road on weekends
  • Some highways for going to work
  • SCCA tracknights. (1 event a year, maybe 1 autox a year)
  • No rain
  • No snow
  • 2400 lbs car weight.

Appreciate if you have some advice. Would like to order next week. 

Prices:

• 595 - $386
  • R-S4 - $480
  • A052 - $746
  • R1R- $720

The car ran Toyo R888R last 6 years.  RE-71 are not an option. Doesn't come in the right size. 

Stickiness is my main desire (handling wise), but I also don't want the loudest tire. 

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
5/30/20 12:00 a.m.

Out of those, I've only run the hankook and the predecessor to that Yokohama.

The hankooks are my go-to tire.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/30/20 5:17 a.m.

RS4/Yoko. If the Feds are like the ones I had, they're awful in the rain. I think the Toyo R1R is a super old design (and also expensive).

dps214
dps214 Reader
5/30/20 5:53 a.m.

For your use I don't think anything more expensive than the rs4 makes sense. I'm not sure why anyone would even consider the r1r at that price, that design has got to be like ten years old at this point.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
5/30/20 7:12 a.m.

Guys, he said "no rain" so we're not worried about that. I'm a cheapass and am happy to trade money for a little noise. I'm on the SS595 and I'm very interested in the 595 RS-R but I have heard it's noisy.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/20 7:12 a.m.

For my money, the Hankook R-S4 is the way to go.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/20 7:19 a.m.

I've had Federal RS-Rs before and do like them as cheap track tyres but they're more than a bit noisy. I SAID THEY'RE MORE ...

That said, they're not that dissimilar to R888s, although IME they wear are little better.

For your intended use case I'd say RS4.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/30/20 8:01 a.m.

RS4.  I was very happy with them on my m3 sedan.  I did two track days with them and they were very impressive, not to mention they wear like iron.

I am putting a set on the m coupe when it gets back from paint.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/30/20 8:14 a.m.

Rs4.  Wear like it in and are only like half a second a lap slower than the re71r.

79rex
79rex Reader
5/30/20 8:43 a.m.

I would avoid the yokahmas unless you're looking for absolute best possible performance and money spent isn't a concern.  I'd go with the rs4s

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
5/30/20 9:13 a.m.

If sticky is what you want then the Yoko's are by far the best of those 4.

Best cost/performance will be RS4

Then cost only for federal

And R1R is a no, no... hell no!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/30/20 10:28 a.m.

Thanks guys. Hankook RS4 seem to be the consensus 

I have had great experience on the DD cars with yoko ad07/ad08, yoko a048, which is the reason I was thinking a052. 

but I trust the hives judgement 100%. Will order up the RS4 today. Gonna check which website gives the best deal 

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
5/30/20 10:37 a.m.

I really love my RS4s. Four hours of track time on my set and they barely look scuffed in and the performance only got better as each session went on. They also handled super wet track conditions very well, dealing with standing water any time I made a mistake and drove through the small ponds that form at the apex.

I'm told that they don't offer loads of grip when cold, but on the street they still have more stick than I'm comfortable using.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/30/20 11:18 a.m.
MrFancypants said:

I really love my RS4s. Four hours of track time on my set and they barely look scuffed in and the performance only got better as each session went on. They also handled super wet track conditions very well, dealing with standing water any time I made a mistake and drove through the small ponds that form at the apex.

I'm told that they don't offer loads of grip when cold, but on the street they still have more stick than I'm comfortable using.

Thank you. Yeah the Hankook RS-R here on this thread, received glowing reviews. As we all know, its hard to get some consensus on tires, so to see a consensus on recommendation makes me feel good about the purchase. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/30/20 6:31 p.m.

R1r?! Whoa, that’s a blast from the past. 

I’d go RS4 unless you’re wealthy,, in which case go Yok. Actually, if you’re wealthy I’d still get the Hankook based on your needs.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/30/20 6:49 p.m.
CyberEric said:

R1r?! Whoa, that’s a blast from the past. 

I’d go RS4 unless you’re wealthy,, in which case go Yok. Actually, if you’re wealthy I’d still get the Hankook based on your needs.

Lol

if I was wealthy, I would have my people go buy carbon fiber reinforced $42,000 Michelins :) 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/30/20 8:19 p.m.

I got to run the rs4 today on the Tib. Great tire. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/30/20 8:24 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Tire rack was running a discount in them. I got my 245/40/17 for $560 taxes included

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
5/30/20 8:40 p.m.

Since your barely doing anything motorsports related you could consider other options in the UHP/max performance summer categories.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
5/31/20 7:40 a.m.

None of your mentioned purposes are for a competition. I'd save the money and go with 595 RS-RR (note the second R, they're better). They're loud tires and they're not as sticky as the other best 200 TW, but they're cheap! I've run them on two of my cars, I've never had a problem, fun tire. 

*Edit: I agree with Snrub, most any other decent performance street your tire will be friendlier and last longer when you're not competing for anything.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/31/20 9:49 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Tire rack was running a discount in them. I got my 245/40/17 for $560 taxes included

Thank you. Yup caught the discount! Ordered. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/31/20 9:50 a.m.
Snrub said:

Since your barely doing anything motorsports related you could consider other options in the UHP/max performance summer categories.

of the sizes I am looking for, the tires I listed are the only ones available in the USA, for the front rear correct specs and correct stagger. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xztH7O30ufCDixWZqejqm22mjo2XPHtBL5xiUTVBfVdHPs8Raz8JQj7yZzjuh1dn