captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/25/19 7:50 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

The AR-1 are not 200TW but the NS2R is 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/19 9:30 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

Their website shows UTQG of 180 and the widest width available at 265. 

Toyman01
11/17/19 5:12 p.m.

Update on these. I mounted them yesterday. They look to be just a touch wider than the RE71Rs in the 275/35R18 size. Ran them at a cold autocross today. I really like them at the autocross. They feel a little sloppier than the RE71Rs which suites my driving style. They rotate better in my opinion and don't turn loose suddenly. A+ if you are looking for a reasonably priced 200TW tire. 

HOLY CRAP they are noisy on the street!! I have owned mud grips that were quieter. RE71Rs are silent in comparison.  You can literally hear every tread block hit the ground. For $500 a set difference, I'll live with them and love them. 

_
_ Dork
11/17/19 9:06 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Thanks for posting back. How were your lap times? How was the grip fade? 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/19 9:09 p.m.

I really want someone to put these on a Honda superbike so they can have an RS-RR'd CBRR-R

_
_ Dork
11/17/19 9:15 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

CBR-R Rs-RR with a RR porsche conversion. 

Toyman01
11/18/19 7:23 a.m.
_ said:

In reply to Toyman01 :

I never got enough heat into them to have any fade problems. I barely got them above ambient. I will be interested in seeing how they do at a time trial but it will be next year before that happens.

_
_ Dork
11/18/19 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Sorry, I used the wrong terminology. Instead of fade, I should have said "how does the grip give out?" Or, in other words, how does the tire transition from gripping to not gripping?

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/18/19 10:40 a.m.

Here is a set of 205 RS-RR's next to a 205 Riken. They run wide as hell.

And the 205/50R15 mounted on a 15x7 Sparco Terra. They have taken the abuse of my camber-challenged Fiesta ST without fault. Riding the shoulder like its grandpa during a heart attack.

_
_ Dork
11/18/19 10:55 a.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

Wow. So maybe better to get them in the 195 cross section so they fit my 6" wheels. 

Toyman01
11/18/19 10:57 a.m.
_ said:

In reply to Toyman01 :

Sorry, I used the wrong terminology. Instead of fade, I should have said "how does the grip give out?" Or, in other words, how does the tire transition from gripping to not gripping?

Gently. They will handle a good bit of slip angle before turning loose. I really liked them.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
11/18/19 11:38 a.m.
Toyman01 said:
_ said:

In reply to Toyman01 :

I never got enough heat into them to have any fade problems. I barely got them above ambient. I will be interested in seeing how they do at a time trial but it will be next year before that happens.

This sounds promising. Hopefully do well in TT conditions. I was looking at these for a good all-around tire.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
11/18/19 1:08 p.m.

Our team tried the 205/50R15 595 RS-RR in Lemons but they didn't hold up well. The sidewalls and compound are much softer then other 200tw tires we have run we and they only lasted one race. Normally we get 2.5 races out of a set of tires. With 2.5 degrees of front camber on a 280Z we've always had very even treadwear at this track. The 595 RS-RR burned through the outer edge but still had a lot of tread in the middle. We also rotated the tires for day 2. Not sure how much more camber we would need to run to make these work. Over all they felt decent and handled heat better then I expected. They would still grease up if pushed hard but recovered pretty quick. Lap times were about the same as the other tires we're run at this track. I'd still prefer to run an Azenis or Rival. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
11/18/19 1:46 p.m.

In reply to PseudoSport :

How much does the car weigh? What pressures did you run them at? 

_
_ Dork
11/18/19 2:26 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

Agreed. Need this info as well as toe settings. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/18/19 2:44 p.m.
PseudoSport said:

Our team tried the 205/50R15 595 RS-RR in Lemons but they didn't hold up well. The sidewalls and compound are much softer then other 200tw tires we have run we and they only lasted one race. Normally we get 2.5 races out of a set of tires. With 2.5 degrees of front camber on a 280Z we've always had very even treadwear at this track. The 595 RS-RR burned through the outer edge but still had a lot of tread in the middle. We also rotated the tires for day 2. Not sure how much more camber we would need to run to make these work. Over all they felt decent and handled heat better then I expected. They would still grease up if pushed hard but recovered pretty quick. Lap times were about the same as the other tires we're run at this track. I'd still prefer to run an Azenis or Rival. 

Any time I have seen a tire do that it was because it wasn't heat cycled first. 

Were these heat cycled before racing on them?  If not, I bet that issue goes away if you did.

We saw this on many different tires.  However, some tires just handled it and don't wear away like that.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
11/18/19 3:53 p.m.

Tires were not heat cycled, front toe is 1/16" in, pressures were 32 psi cold, and weight is about 2300 lbs. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
11/18/19 4:00 p.m.

In reply to PseudoSport :

I killed the shoulder on mine, but it was a heavy (3300lbs) - camber-deficient car (my speed3). 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/18/19 5:35 p.m.
Apexcarver said:
TR7 said:
nimblemotorsports said:
_ said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I wish they made them in 14" size.. i don't yet have 15" wheels for miata.

They make the ss595's in 195/60r14. I'm rocking them on them miata now. Did a whole autocross season on them. Kind of a weird tire.

They take a few back to back runs to warm up, we would get three runs in the morning, and three runs in the afternoon. My tires wouldn't "grip" better until run three in the morning, and in afternoon. But once we start free runs, it would grip at run 3-5, then Get greasy and the tread would actually "feather" out. Once they cool, the tread kinda goes back into place. 

not sure if that's a feature or a defect. 

For some odd reason, this size tire is NOT 240tw, but like 460tw  You can find the specs on all sizes if you google it.

https://www.federaltire.com/en/products_detail.php?class=UHP&products_detail_sn=8

I bought some 195-45-15 of the Federal 595 tires (plain 595, no RS-SS), like $50 each, too cheap to not try them!

A little shorter than the 205-50-15, but looks to be the same width.  Shorter might be better for our car.

We ran the 595 Federals like your picture for our first lemons race on a mk3 golf 2.0. They did well in the rain, and OK for a bunch of newbies to get around the track. But they were destroyed by the end of 2 days. They feather and chunk easily when they get hot. The Falkens we replaced them with not only had more grip, but were much much more durable. 

Found this style 595 after searching quite awhile for 13 inch tires for my Sprite. Havent gotten them on the car yet (need to figure out spacers).   Outside of that, it was all-seasons or R888 (which would be a bit absurd for a stockish street sprite).

I run those on the truck in 275/40/18. Decent tire for the money. It’s no falken or Bridgestone but it’s decent

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/18/19 6:16 p.m.
PseudoSport said:

Tires were not heat cycled, front toe is 1/16" in, pressures were 32 psi cold, and weight is about 2300 lbs. 

If you can drive them on the street or track for 20 minutes aggressively and then let cool for at least 10 hours, that probably won't happen again

That is localized overheating causing blistering and hence tread removal.  That is Not normal wear from friction tearing the material off.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zNEuNjR9oMkLvOVdHrrgtuu9ENY32pGkNQQcA8RWtsbztAkQmHtko3KswijseRXK