1 2
GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/13/20 10:02 p.m.

Wear a condom so you don't have to buy a minivan. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/13/20 10:09 p.m.

In reply to GTwannaB :

Nothing wrong with minivans. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/14/20 5:45 a.m.
GTwannaB said:

I'd drive a manual swapped 1st gen Odyssey so hard

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/14/20 7:27 a.m.
buzzboy said:

Litterally everything VCH said

Wise and thoughtful words. Thank you. I do love your current homestead. And the garlic... If I ever buy another engine from you(or sell one back...) I'd love some garlic. Makes me wonder if Ted has dropped any hints about my love of vampire repellant. Doesn't look like ICR will be racing for a little while either. Oh well, it'll make the next race that much sweeter.

I'm reminded of Bill Murray's line in Groundhog Day...something along the lines of "Maybe God's just been around so long he knows everything".  I'm not wise...I just have a few more years' experience.  Yes, Ted did clue me in to your garlic infatuation.  We grow a few hundred bulbs per year, and if a recipe calls for 1 clove, we usually use about 6...so yeah, I get it. 

Maybe ICR and Tunachuckers need to combine forces and field a team.  Plymford's ready to run except for a fire suppression system, and I'd like to give her a new paint job.  We only have 2 or 3 drivers willing to commit for September though.  Sounds like you just need to locate an OM617 engine donor and PE will be back in business. 

I thought you already sold off all the bits for that Molvo project?

" I'm not into collecting things, only experiences. "

I hear you on that.   However sometimes to collect the experience, one also needs to have the things that go along with it.  Like, for example, having a race car and 10,000 black and yellow totes of parts to have the experience of racing.  But in general, I get it...unless one simply wants to have the experience of being a hoarder, collecting things for things' sake has little value.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/14/20 8:38 a.m.

I turn 50 next week, but in a way 29 feels like yesterday.  

My life over the last few years has also been rather transient and unstable. In a way, the pandemic and WFH has helped my state of mind quite a bit, although I haven't been getting as much done on my projects as I'd like. 

I have three main hobbies that fight for my spare time: Cars, bicycles and guitars.  Plus a few "minor" hobbies, but I try to keep those to a minimum.  While there are many things I'd love to do, I have to force myself to accept I only have so many hours in a day and so much space in my desperately cluttered house. There are many hobbies I'd love to do: motos, bang-sticks, water stuff, wood working, etc. but my time and space are limited. 

I love my minivan for hauling my bicycles around. Especially when I can't bring them inside when I've traveling. I still dream of a camper van better designed for biking and getting away from everything. 

I'm not sure this is much of an answer either, but if nothing else it says you aren't alone... This struggle has been with me since my 20's.  The only difference is I'm now more financially secure - which can be a double edged sword at times.  It's nice to be able to afford expensive hobbies, but money doesn't solve my time issues.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/14/20 8:55 a.m.
GTwannaB said:

Yeah, but in a few short years I will have my own (s)pitcrew. One that literally works for snacks and cant drink my beer (well, for awhile at least).  Many tow pigs also double as good kid haulers. 

Joking aside, two factors are time and money. When I was younger I had lots of time and very little money. Now that I'm older I have more money, but a lot less time. Kids and work take up most of the time and under non-pandemic conditions I am lucky to get a few hours a week in the shop. You just learn to make the most of what you have vs what you want to do. Realistic expectations. For instance, I have blown past every self-imposed deadline for having the bugeye driving. I keep chipping at it and its getting there. Its about enjoying what work I can do rather than being time/results driven. 

To the topic of the thread, find what is within your time/money/etc to do and get doing it. Be realistic with yourself and enjoy the ride. Dont just sit waiting, it will never happen if you keep waiting for the next goal. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/14/20 8:57 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

Get a friend in the military and ask them about it. You get used to changing long term plans. 

Yup I move every 3 to 4 years, seemingly across country. When I was in California I had a bunch of cars. Sold some and brought some with me to Texas. Now I'm in Texas, I'll probably sell some and keep some, can't give away a car I left in Cali (go figure).

My next likely move will be to the Pentagon in 2022 or so, and I plan on leaving some cars. Hopefully, it'll be my last duty station; plan to come back to Texas after I retire from the military and start my second career.

How do I plan my hobby around these future changes? I don't. But, I have ideal situations that I think of. Like, if I leave Texas in 2022 I'd like to only have my 924 and a nice modern big SUV. Plus or minus a potential XJS and random classic Mercedes.

I also don't mind selling everything if that means I can just buy a bunch of E36 M3 the next go around lol. I just do what I feel like at the moment.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/14/20 9:17 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Get in touch when you get to the DC area, I can help you get plugged in to some car stuff pretty quickly. Possibly even a contact for a project space rental.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/14/20 9:22 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

In reply to yupididit :

Get in touch when you get to the DC area, I can help you get plugged in to some car stuff pretty quickly. Possibly even a contact for a project space rental.

Project space rental would be so amazing

Racingsnake
Racingsnake New Reader
7/14/20 9:38 a.m.
yupididit said

can't give away a car I left in Cali (go figure)

What car is it?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/20 9:39 a.m.

to the OP:  so much wisdom in this thread.  i'm glad i read it.  my contribution:  rent some space, get good tools, do that thing that you want to do.  i've wanted to learn to weld since watching our team welder put our FSAE chassis together in 1990.  yes, 30 years ago.  after so many "i'm gonna do that after ____" i said eff it, now is the time.  you are clearly the type who can adapt to change, so do what you want to do, and when it changes you'll adapt to it.  good luck, and keep us posted.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/14/20 9:40 a.m.
Racingsnake said:
yupididit said

What car is it?

I think this one:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/who-wants-to-rescue-my-conquest/159481/page1/

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
7/14/20 10:03 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
Racingsnake said:
yupididit said

What car is it?

I think this one:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/who-wants-to-rescue-my-conquest/159481/page1/

Phoenix is close.... 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/14/20 10:42 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) said:
Maybe ICR and Tunachuckers need to combine forces and field a team.  Plymford's ready to run except for a fire suppression system, and I'd like to give her a new paint job.  We only have 2 or 3 drivers willing to commit for September though.  Sounds like you just need to locate an OM617 engine donor and PE will be back in business. 

I thought you already sold off all the bits for that Molvo project?

" I'm not into collecting things, only experiences. "

Planet Express is a ways from being race worthy, but I kinda want to field it again. It just got new brakes but it still needs an engine, radiator and fire suppression. We have only raced the Toyocedes since South Fall 2016. I bet I'd enjoy the Plymford. Big, squishy and torquey is fun. The only parts of the Mialvo I've sold are the Miata bits to Dusterbd Mike and the engine's head to ICR's Mike. Still a big bore bottom end shortblock sitting wrapped up in my storage unit. 

yupididit said:

Project space rental would be so amazing

I've been out of my 10x60 space for 3 years. It sure is nice and so hard to find. We lost it for the owner's insurance not letting people use it as workspace.

Apexcarver said:

To the topic of the thread, find what is within your time/money/etc to do and get doing it. Be realistic with yourself and enjoy the ride. Dont just sit waiting, it will never happen if you keep waiting for the next goal. 

I like that attitude. Thank you!

7/14/20 11:54 a.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Plymford is fun.  It drives a lot like a collection of parts flying in loose formation, though, so it takes some getting used to.  Steering is vague and heavy and not particularly communicative.  We de-powered it so it's a 2-arm deal at anything under 30 mph.  On track, it's fine.  In the pits, it's murder.  The transmission is happiest when it's transmitting, and not shifting.  Typical 70's American slushbox.  Brakes are pretty fair.  Visibility isn't terrible.

I'm not really into collecting more Volvo parts at the moment, but as I sold you that batch of parts to make the Molvo drivetrain I'd buy it back out of a sort of car-guy code of honor.  We'll see how things shuffle out this year and where we might run into each other. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/14/20 4:44 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) :

I'm familiar with highly boosted tight steering, a transmission that shifts firmly and surprisingly smart also more brake than power. Could be a fun crossover episode.

I need to actually list my volvo parts but I finding what they're worth has been out of my grasp.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
7/14/20 4:56 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

My only advice is to structure your hobbies so they add to your life, not so they are a giant source of stress.  If I living 1/2 NC, and 1/2 in CA I think I might lay off cars for a while.

Seriously, cars are a huge source of stress so I've been AWOL for most of this year and am scrapping some stuff just so I don't have to deal with selling it so I can wash my hands of things.

7/14/20 6:13 p.m.
buzzboy said:

In reply to volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) :

I'm familiar with highly boosted tight steering, a transmission that shifts firmly and surprisingly smart also more brake than power. Could be a fun crossover episode.

I need to actually list my volvo parts but I finding what they're worth has been out of my grasp.

Well, tell me what you have and I'll give you a reasonable expectation for a FB MP or CLlisting.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/14/20 6:51 p.m.

I've got all new parts to assemble a 3.350 bore shortblock. Cleaned, bored, reconditioned block. New old stock mahle pistons/rings/pins. Ground under and polished crank. New bearings on everything. Really hot Isky cam with new lifters. New water and oil pumps. Sad I screwed it up and/or didn't finish it. That would have been a NASTY redblock.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/14/20 8:19 p.m.
03Panther said:
dean1484 said:

If you put off doing things that make you happy because of what may happen in the future you will never be happy.  If you want a garage now get one.  You are going to blink and you will be looking at 60 year old.

I can testify to this!

So true. At 31, I changed careers, moved in with my grandparents for the first five years of my ten years of school.

Came out the other side ten years later with a veterinary degree, a wife and debt. Still got all three.

At 62, I was in a position financially to buy a  sports car, bought my first Miata, and started autocross. 

What ever you're going to do, do it!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m75SmesFfYggcvjxThBaKcZlNq4LHIZ3VlSehRT9JH2dcJDh409opVTFrCKEbsQo