1 2 3
aircooled
aircooled Dork
8/6/08 11:48 a.m.

I was watching a bit of the Bueller the other day and got curious about the Ferrari. Seen here next to the MG TC:

Well, as many may know it was a kit car (which inspired Ferrari to sue!). What I did not know is that the kit car used a Ford V8, and a fiberglass body on an MG (!) frame. Apparently only 3 were custom made (at least one was obviously destroyed). It seems like these would make a great kit car and would be a nice contrast to the "dime a dozen" Cobras that are out there now. It seems like Ferrari may not allow it of course. Any one know anything more about these movie cars? There seems to be very little info out there about them. I am especially curious about the choice of an MG body, but of course they were probably going for form over function.

The only real info I found was in IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091042/trivia

BTW here is the real thing, Ferrari 250 California Spyder:

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/6/08 12:03 p.m.

I'm betting it was built on a modified MGB (has MGB taillights, too), and not an earlier, separate-chassis MG.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/6/08 12:03 p.m.

something close existed, its a shame they stopped making it.

FFR Spyder GT (basically a convertible version of a cobra daytona)

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/08 12:07 p.m.

I agree, If Factory Five (I like their new rear setup) could build one on their existing chassis it would be an awesome creature.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/6/08 1:59 p.m.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say IMDB is wrong. That info is provided by the general populace and isn't verified. I am fairly certain these cars were fiberglass bodies on Corvette chassis. I do believe with some certainty that the car used in the film was an automatic...you can pretty much tell once or twice when the car pulls away/Ferris puts it into gear. All of the sound was dubbed, so that doesn't reveal anything.

Edit: upon further Google work, the car is actually a fiberglass body on a hand built tube frame with Ford 5.0 running gear. They were made by Modena Design & Development of El Cajon, Ca.

midknight
midknight New Reader
8/6/08 2:03 p.m.

Gosh, something I may know just a little bit about! These were produced as the Modena California Spider (or California Modena Spider depending on which mag you read) in the 80s. Gorgeous car!! The windshield is from a Fiat Spider, not an MG. In a previous life (back in the 80s), I actually got to drive both the above cars within a day of each other. I was charged with loading the real thing on to a trailer to be shipped to Japan for a buyer. What a harrowing experience that was, not because it was particularly diffiicult to load, but because everyone at the job came out to watch it being loaded. It was like saying goodbye to our most prized possession, and the owner of the place I worked was jabbering at me the whole time. Back in the restorartion warehouse was a Modena Spider we were freshening up for former Miss America (and at the time the wife of then Kentucky Governor John Brown Jr.) That car was an absolute blast! Tuned headers gave it a deep rumble, smoother than a mustang GT. I got to drive it in a very spirited manner on I-95 late one night when the owner of the company wanted to know how it stacked up against his V-8 Tuscan and a couple other cars. Steady at an indicated 140 mph (but the Tuscan kicked my ass in acceleration). Among the cars I abused on I-95 that night was Mike Tyson's black Testarossa. Funniest part of the night was a 330 GTC breaking down and me towing it back with a Mini Moke. Anyway, I have lusted after that Spider ever since. My dream is to retire and go to metal shaping school for a couple years, and build one for myself in all metal. Actually sexier in my opinion than the real thing. I know, blasphemy, but there it is, I said it!!

midknight
midknight New Reader
8/6/08 2:04 p.m.

Former Miss America Phylis George (had brain fade for a moment)

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/6/08 2:06 p.m.

I love grm.

midknight
midknight New Reader
8/6/08 2:10 p.m.

David, you fiat lover you!! You should be able to tell a couple of fiat items on the body of the Modena.

(I think we met at the fiat freak out in North Carolina a few years back)

midknight
midknight New Reader
8/6/08 2:13 p.m.

BTW, production was stopped only because Ferari threatened to sue. The mold for the body is still in SoCal.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/6/08 2:32 p.m.

I had an AP newspaper clipping, which I believe was from the New Orleans flood (I just threw it out a few weeks ago. Damn.), that showed the rear half of a submerged convertible. I couldn't tell what it was, but I did recognized the early MGB tail lights. Now, from seeing the photo of the real Ferrari, I recognize the rear quarters, too. The car in the photo had kind of a kit car look to it, so it may have been one of the ones mentioned above.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
8/6/08 3:32 p.m.
midknight wrote: ...Actually sexier in my opinion than the real thing. I know, blasphemy, but there it is, I said it!!

I do mostly agree with you there. The copy seems to have a "sharper" front end, and the wheel flares look nice. I do think the windshield is a bit nicer on the real one though. I am pretty sure the side view mirrors on the copy are Shelby style mirrors (I have some on my car).

So if Ferrari will/can sue if their car is copied, what is the deal with Shelby? He just doesn't care?

BTW - If they did do a kit again, they definitely should try to make a V12 Jag engine and option (keeps with the spirit of the original).

Here is some more info on the real one (definitely a nice car): http://www.supercars.net/cars/2017.html

Dan G
Dan G Dork
8/6/08 3:37 p.m.

A friend of mine is building his own replica off a Datsun 280Z chassis, using a LS1/6speed, and a body made from molds his father took off of either another 250 GTO replica 15-20 years ago.

Check it out...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2922491

Thing is, he started with a coupe, and is hand-fabbing it into a Spyder. He's been one-off manufacturing replica components in small batches because the stuff out there isn't close enough for his taste. Sweet project.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/6/08 3:47 p.m.
midknight wrote: Former Miss America Phylis George (had brain fade for a moment)

...who was referred to as "John Brown's Body" by Kentuckians when she was married to the governor with that name. Though you may have to be Southern, or at least a Civil War buff, to get the implied scorn that comes with the reference.

Margie

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/08 4:02 p.m.

OR have the name in high school (It's okay there were two John Browns in my high school, we shared the burden)

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/6/08 9:44 p.m.
MGAMGB wrote:
Woodyhfd wrote: I had an AP newspaper clipping, which I believe was from the New Orleans flood (I just threw it out a few weeks ago. Damn.), that showed the rear half of a submerged convertible. I couldn't tell what it was, but I did recognized the early MGB tail lights. Now, from seeing the photo of the real Ferrari, I recognize the rear quarters, too. The car in the photo had kind of a kit car look to it, so it may have been one of the ones mentioned above.
http://www.mgnuts.com/destruction/spider_ivan.jpg You must be thinking of this Florida car, which was destroyed by Hurricane Ivan. The FB car was based on an MGB with other bits added.

Yup... that's the car. The passenger's side window is what I thought made it look kit car-ish.

So... what is it?

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
8/6/08 9:57 p.m.
Dan G wrote:

OK, that is awesome. Looks better as a coupe, though. Obviously the dude is skilled.

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
8/6/08 10:13 p.m.

awesome movie, awesome car. I read somewhere it was a Corvette to start.

Bueller? Bueller?

Trivia: What car did the batman TV series start as?

Stuc
Stuc Reader
8/6/08 10:35 p.m.

Yugo?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/08 10:46 p.m.

It was a Lincoln show car. The Futura?

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/6/08 10:47 p.m.

I was pissed when FFR killed the spyder, that was my motivation to get thrue college, thoe now I realize I would fing a way to drop in an LSX and T56, not a 302/T5

gamby
gamby SuperDork
8/7/08 12:41 a.m.

Oddly enough, I'm just as interested in what Cameron's parents'' house looks like from the outside. That showroom coupled w/ the outside shot of the car wrecked in the weeds show that it's probably a classic piece of midwest mid-century modernism.

I love how that showroom/garage is cantilevered over the back of the house. I need that i my life at some point.

BTW--the Batmoblie was indeed based on the Futura showcar (pic just for clarification--I've probably known this bit of trivia for 20 years)

slantvaliant
slantvaliant New Reader
8/7/08 8:21 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: . Though you may have to be Southern, or at least a Civil War buff, to get the implied scorn that comes with the reference.

She's not a'molderin' in the grave yet, is she?

daytonaer
daytonaer New Reader
8/7/08 12:30 p.m.
Woodyhfd wrote:
MGAMGB wrote:
Woodyhfd wrote: I had an AP newspaper clipping, which I believe was from the New Orleans flood (I just threw it out a few weeks ago. Damn.), that showed the rear half of a submerged convertible. I couldn't tell what it was, but I did recognized the early MGB tail lights. Now, from seeing the photo of the real Ferrari, I recognize the rear quarters, too. The car in the photo had kind of a kit car look to it, so it may have been one of the ones mentioned above.
http://www.mgnuts.com/destruction/spider_ivan.jpg You must be thinking of this Florida car, which was destroyed by Hurricane Ivan. The FB car was based on an MGB with other bits added.
Yup... that's the car. The passenger's side window is what I thought made it look kit car-ish. So... what is it?

Funny, I was just reading an old C/D today and it had this pic:

Says Alabama, but also says pushed off road and it looks like the same car on the beach...

otoh, I like kit cars, as long as they make good noises and scoot along nicely. 4cyl auto "ferrari" fiero's aren't that cool.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
8/7/08 1:26 p.m.
gamby wrote: BTW--the Batmoblie was indeed based on the Futura showcar (pic just for clarification--I've probably known this bit of trivia for 20 years)

Not based on the the showcar, I am pretty sure it is the showcar. As I remember the show car was owned by the guy charged with making the Batmobile, so he used it. I guess there wasn't much thought about the future potential value of a show car. Not sure what would be worth more these days, the original Batmobile or the original Futura.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
bEHcWtFFgSmAdsq4bbq6jQIquZ8ZRYrAy4GuOvOHKZbJvAYCvkV02yOMy7TyJQsF